• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Model?

delericho

Legend
Lanefan said:
I'd far rather see individual adventure modules than a hardcover book. That way, I can pick and choose which ones I want to buy (probably but not always the ones I'd also want to run).

Depends. If the products are an "Adventure Path", I would prefer to see them marketed as such, designed as such, and handled under the assumption that you're going to get them all. That being the case, I think the best formats are either the single hardcover book or presentation in Dungeon magazine.

(My reason for this is that if the adventures are designed from the start to go together, you'll get a far more coherent whole than if they're seperate modules that just happen to be in a chain - compare the first WotC Adventure Path with any of the Dungeon paths.)

If, however, the adventures are designed to stand alone, then they absolutely should be marketed as thin paperback modules, possibly with seperate covers.

And I can absolutely see the value in both styles of product.

papakee

First Post
For 4E, I would think there will have to be something significantly new or different while still keeping most of the D&D core basics of game. Also, the rules would be setup under the same old model of basic rules first, expansions to those rules in subsequent books. A slight alteration to that may be to 'level' the games like the old 'Basic', 'Expert' and 'Advanced' series in the mid 80s.

Some guesses would be

o Total revamped magic system
o Replace Classes and/or Levels with a total customizable character
o Add action points/hero points
o Replace Hit Points with a more detailed system per body area (allowing called shots and specific injuries)
o Computerized combat resolution due to complexity (cross out minis-battlemap/write in laptop)

Anyway...all of this is just one big guess and is probably way off track.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
papakee said:
Some guesses would be

Possible, but I don't see it happening. D&Ders are too much in love with their Vancian game systems.

What...and slaughter that most sacred of cows? I'd like to see it, personally, but it won't happen.

Quite possible.

o Replace Hit Points with a more detailed system per body area (allowing called shots and specific injuries)

Highly doubtful, though possibly offered as an optional system.

o Computerized combat resolution due to complexity (cross out minis-battlemap/write in laptop)

Extremely thin possibility here (I'd actually say "no possibility here" to be quite honest). Minis sell too well.

Anyway...all of this is just one big guess and is probably way off track.[/QUOTE]

Nightchilde-2

First Post
MerricB said:
Note that the current model for introducing people to the game is:

Step 1: D&D Basic Game
Step 2: D&D Player's Kit and D&D DM's Kit

Somewhat off topic, but according to my distributor, the DM's kit has been cancelled.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
papakee said:
For 4E, I would think there will have to be something significantly new or different while still keeping most of the D&D core basics of game. Also, the rules would be setup under the same old model of basic rules first, expansions to those rules in subsequent books. A slight alteration to that may be to 'level' the games like the old 'Basic', 'Expert' and 'Advanced' series in the mid 80s.

Some guesses would be

Anyway...all of this is just one big guess and is probably way off track.

Requiring a laptop at the game table is not going to happen. It cuts off too much of the audience. "I need 3 30 dollar books and a 500 dollar laptop to run the game...wow this is cheap to get into!" ;)

buzz

Adventurer
papakee said:
These are already part of the system, essentially.

papakee said:
At best, I think we'll see more easy-to-use classes like the warlock.

papakee said:
I'd say no. Adding a software component as a core part of the game is simply not cost-effective. The minimum required investment is way too large for WotC to ever see a return on their money. It also assumes every group has (and wants) access to a PC at the game table, and I don't buy that.

papakee said:
I.e., make D&D more like GURPS. I'm confident this will never happen. If SW Saga is any indication, WotC is heading in the exact opposite direction.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
If true, that's a damn shame. I was looking forward to a paperback DMG.

Unfortunately, I don't have any details, just a one-line comment in one of the emails from my distributor saying that WotC has cancelled the DM's kit. I also couldn't find it in the products listing on the Wizard's site for either 2006 or 2007 (y'know, what's been released so far on there anyway).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
edbonny said:
Speaking of models though, I have often wondered what this new game could be modeled after and I keep coming back to the idea that 4e should resemble an MMO (such as WoW or City of Heroes) primarily in terms of gameplay where characters are at peak performance each time a battle begins. As most know, characters in many MMOs regenerate their health <hit points> & their mana/endurance <spell points> continually, rather than in DnD 3 where characters rest to regain spells and heal up (if divine healing is not available).
In other words, everyone has permanized regeneration, applying to spells as well as hit points. Everyone, including the enemies; so the tactic of weaken-then-retreat goes out the window along with various other reflections of realism including simply getting tired at day's end. You'll never catch an opponent asleep (or be caught asleep yourself) because by this logic the concept of "rest" no longer needs to exist.

Also, in MMO's you have this handy computer to keep constant track of everyone's hit points and spell points as time goes along. In tabletop, the bookkeeping would be a bit much:
"You each gain a hit point."
"OK. We move 40' down the passage and search."
"You each gain another hit point. Spellcasters gain a spell point. Your brief search reveals nothing, but your light does show a door ahead and you think you hear something."
"Good. We check over the door for traps."
"You each gain another hit point; those with Con. over 14 gain an extra hit point. You don't notice anything amiss with the door, though without even trying you hear a thumping behind it as if something large is trying to get out."
"Right. We buff up for action."
"Given the amount of spells you need to cast, you each gain another hit point, and casters gain another spell point; those with high Int. or Wis. as appropriate gain an extra one."

See the problem?

Now, please pardon me while I run screaming as far away from this nightmare vision as I can...

Lanefan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads