• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Orcs and light-sensitivity

Xeveninti

First Post
Since OD&D, orcs have suffered from light-sensitivity. Not so in 4e. They have low-light vision and suffer no ill effects in the open on bright sunny days. There is no such thing as darkvision or infravision in 4e. While I appreciate the simplification of vision rules in 4e, I miss that particular aspect of orcs.

I'm thinking of creating a house rule that would have orcs suffer a -1 penalty in bright sunlight or within the area of a light spell or other similar effects. This is a rule that existed since OD&D through 2nd edition. Or perhaps I could invoke some sort of dazzle effect like in 3rd edition.

My instincts tell me that this might somehow unbalance the game. Convince me why it might be a good idea or a bad idea.

the Jester

Legend
Hey, I always kept a continent-full of Lawful Evil orcs that worshipped the dominant LG sun god after dwarven missionaries did a lot of conversion work.

The priests of Galador (the sun god) learned to distilled sunlight into a liquid that was like super alchemist's fire. The orcish Galadorians learned to powder liquid sunlight... and made guns.

Xeveninti

First Post
4e does have darkvision.
*checks rules*

You're right! But creatures with darkvision appear to have no penalty in sunlight or bright light. Perhaps they should? If I have a -1 for creatures with low-light vision, what if creatures with darkvision had -2? Is that changing the rules too much?

Why does a cave bear have darkvision and not low-light vision? Does light matter at all to an atropal or a beholder? Perhaps making such a sweeping change to the rules pertaining to darkvision and low-light vision is too much? Or maybe it makes more sense than I realize?

I want my orcs to hate God's flashlight. So I think I'm going to add that classic penalty to that particular creature anyway. Consistency be damned. Adding a penalty to all creatures with low-light and darkvision might not make sense. I'm not sure.

Raven Swords

First Post
Go with the -1 penalty to Orcs of the "insert tribe name here" which unlike most of their Orcish brethren spend much of their time under ground, in fear of the light of God...

Make it story driven and almost anything is ok :)

Remove ads