• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e PBP?

Shenron

First Post
Hey, if anyone is looking for a place to get together, set up and play bu post game and have fun, you should stop on by. We got built in die rollers and some good people. We just came online but we support all types of RPG games and systems.

The Role-Playing Sanctum - Home

GameDoc

Explorer
Thanks! I will check it out.

Given how much tactical movement is a part of 4e combat, a PbP host would do really well to have some sort of hosted map feature. When I have tried 4e in this format, that's been the biggest challenge - creating a map that inlcudes all involved creatures in their starting position, posting it, then having to move everyone around for the next round, re-posting it, etc., etc.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge

Given how much tactical movement is a part of 4e combat, a PbP host would do really well to have some sort of hosted map feature. When I have tried 4e in this format, that's been the biggest challenge - creating a map that inlcudes all involved creatures in their starting position, posting it, then having to move everyone around for the next round, re-posting it, etc., etc.
As someone who PbP's here a lot (I'm a judge in Living Eberron and have three characters in Living ENWorld 4E), I'd agree the map one does come up often. Maptools and Excel seem two be the big to sol'ns, though I know one who uses ditzie and I'm going to experiment with the VTT as I am in the beta. A map tool at ENW would be nice, but likely very labor intensive.

While I love the dice roller here, its biggest flaw is not being able to see the rolls when replying. When I DM, I have to have two tabs open: My reply, and the thread.

Last edited:

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I would be so happy if EN World eventually had a battle map solution. Maybe make it a community supporter only feature. The GM would be the only one who needs to update it.

lyon812

First Post

My group and I play asynchronously online, as we're scattered across the U.S. For the last year and a half, we've been using Aviary.com to host our maps. We set up a master account for the DM and players to all access. The DM then uploads the map and places the tokens.

As each of us take our turn, we just log in, update the token positions, add statuses/marks/etc, update the HP totals in the name of the layer, and then save it. It takes very little time after the initial setup, and is relatively simple once you get used to Aviary's controls. Since the players can update their moves, it also reduces some of the load on the DM.

Aviary's occasionally had some issues, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, especially considering it's free.

Remove ads