• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Poorly Rated on Amazon...

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Never underestimate the reaction that nerd rage provokes. It is often a loud outcry, but largely meaningless and impotent.

A lot of this anger seems to stem from the feeling that this edition is too soon. If that is the case, perhaps those folks have not invested very heavily in Games Workshop products.

catsclaw227

First Post
Zweischneid said:
Dunno. Seems pretty obvious that opinions over 4e are split. Amazon reflects that. 4e is not universally accepted as a good thing. Thats life. Deal with it. WotC has, I think, anticipated this from the moment they drew up their design. They made a radical decision, knowing they'd alienate many people. Amazon reviews is just an expression of that.
Reading the reviews doesn't tell me that the 2.5 stars is an expression of alienation, it just shows me that Amazon allows people to review a game they have never read or played (5-star or 1-star reviews).

I don't get people here saying that everyone who hates 4e is just misinformed, hasn't properly looked at it or otherwise delusional or misguided.
I don't think anyone in this thread has said this, though some may have implied this in other threads.

And honestly, the 'unfounded one-star-hate-reviews' should be well-balance with the 'unfounded five-star-fanboy-reviews', so that the reasonable reviews will carry out well the final consensus.
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. If you were to take away the unfounded 1-star reviews and the unfounded 5-star reviews, you might get some reasonable reviews that would give a 3.5-4 star rating. The 2.5 star rating doesn't reflect this at all.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This is interesting, but I think it's indicative of more than you might think. Take a look at the reviews for 3.5 and 3.0 and you'll see that the same crowd of people gave the game the same one star reviews ... they just ended up being shouted down by people with positive things to say.

So if you ordered from Amazon and you're happy with 4E post!

I say that there's more to the reviews than you might think because (and this is just me taking the pulse of the edition) it seems like more people are angry and unhappy this time than last. Looking at the "EN World Iconics" thread tells me that some people who have been onboard with D&D for a long time aren't too happy.

Who knows how this will play out in the end...

--Steve

Rhianni32

Adventurer
Zweischneid said:
Dunno. Seems pretty obvious that opinions over 4e are split. Amazon reflects that. 4e is not universally accepted as a good thing. Thats life. Deal with it. WotC has, I think, anticipated this from the moment they drew up their design. They made a radical decision, knowing they'd alienate many people. Amazon reviews is just an expression of that.

I don't get people here saying that everyone who hates 4e is just misinformed, hasn't properly looked at it or otherwise delusional or misguided.

I quite like 4e, but I can see why people might not like it. It's IMO quite obvious with such a radical approach and to be expected. Why, if you like 4e, can you not just enjoy the game and accept that it's pitch might also raise well founded concerns among other people.

And honestly, the 'unfounded one-star-hate-reviews' should be well-balance with the 'unfounded five-star-fanboy-reviews', so that the reasonable reviews will carry out well the final consensus.

People can hate 4ed all they want but a review is on what a product not because it isnt something else. Hate it because you dont like the power system, not because it isnt 3rd edition spell system. Hate it because you dont like a dragonborn, not because its missing a gnome. They might as well give it a 1 star because there is no recipe to cook beef wellington.

I dont see anyone in this thread saying they shouldnt hate 4ed. Just that the reviews are unfair.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Zweischneid said:

I quite like 4e, but I can see why people might not like it. It's IMO quite obvious with such a radical approach and to be expected. Why, if you like 4e, can you not just enjoy the game and accept that it's pitch might also raise well founded concerns among other people.

Someone who read and played the game, and didn't like it. Fine. Wants to review it. Fine.

But someone who hasn't actually read and played the game has NO business posting a "review" on Amazon or anywhere else.

Its dishonest and contemptible behavior.

shinmizu

First Post
Rhianni32 said:
They might as well give it a 1 star because there is no recipe to cook beef wellington.
Hmm, I knew something was missing after reading through the core books and giving Shadowfell a test run. Hang on, I'll be back in a minute after posting a 1 star review for 4e.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Zweischneid said:
Yes, but there's also a bunch of five-star review simply saying

"4e brough back the FUN!!"

Thats not any more objective? Is it?

Depends on which side of the 4e fence you're on it seems.

The Little Raven

First Post
Grazzt said:
Depends on which side of the 4e fence you're on it seems.

I don't see a single pro-4e person saying that the crappy one-sentence positive reviews are a good thing, but I see anti-4e people saying that the crappy one-sentence negative reviews (usually written by people who haven't even read the book, much less played it) are a good thing.

Why does it seem like 4e-bashing is totally acceptable and even kitschy here on the General RPG Forums?

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
Mourn said:
Why does it seem like 4e-bashing is totally acceptable and even kitschy here on the General RPG Forums?
Don't worry. At Christmas we come out of our trenches and sing Silent Night together.

Remove ads