• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E PrRC ~v2.7~ FINAL UPDATE May 29.08

Verys Arkon

First Post
Some interesting crunchy bits from HalWhitewyrm's photos from the GAMA trade show about the Ranger, which spill into the Eladrin as well.

- Ranger gets +1 to Fortitude and Reflex only, meaning the Eladrin is responsible for the +1 to Rairdon's Will defense.

- No mention of a bonus feat for the ranger - though we only see the first page...where is Riardon getting the second feat from?

- The Nature skill for the ranger is keyed off of Wisdom instead of Intelligence like Skamos's Nature skill....do classes use unique abilities for some of the skills, or is Skamos an error?

- The ranger picks up Prime Shot, which had been a warlock's class skill up to now.

- The ranger only gets Nature or Dungeoneering +4 skills....where is Riardon getting his 6th skill training from?

- The Paladin is the only class with +1 to three defenses. Is it time to switch Corrin's +1 Reflex from the Paladin to the Halfling?

AlphaAnt

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
Some interesting crunchy bits from HalWhitewyrm's photos from the GAMA trade show about the Ranger, which spill into the Eladrin as well.

...snip...

It seems to me like some stuff has changed since DDXP. It's also possible they were not 100% following the rules of character creation.

MindWanderer

First Post
Also, History is not a ranger class skill. I'm thinking Eladrin is the source of that as well. I have no explanation for the missing Prime Shot.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Updated to v2.2

Edit (May 1):
Updated to v2.2
Changes include:
• Added “How to Read a Power” excerpt. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080425a
• Added "Multiclassing by Feats" excerpt and edited feats table. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080430a
• Added Justiciar Paragon Path prayers
• Changed First Reaction feat from heroic to paragon tier
• Noted temporary HP last until the end of the encounter, unless otherwise stated.
• Removed +1 Reflex from Paladin, added +1 Reflex to Halfling
• Removed +1 Will defense from Ranger, added +1 Will defense to Eladrin http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/IMG_1244.jpg
• Removed suggestion that Humans might possibly get +2 to 2 abilities altogether
• Clarified that the half-elf +2 any ability score cannot be used for a +4 Cha adjustment
• Removed bonus feat from Ranger, added bonus feat to Eladrin
• Added Prime Shot to the Ranger as a class skill.
• Changed key ability for Nature skill from Int to Wis, and removed Ranger’s +1 to Nature skill.
• Updated Ranger’s Class Skills list.
• Added speculative weapon proficiencies to class descriptions. Reorganized weapon table by proficiency (based on 3.5 PHB classification)​

About the Halfling Paladin Pregen: I've up to this point argued that the Paladin gets +1 to all defenses, but with the scoop about the Ranger getting +1 to Reflex and Fortitude only (and hence the Eladrin getting +1 to Will, apparently), things have changed. Now the Paladin is the 'odd man out', getting a total of +3 to defenses while all other classes get +2 total. Also, since the Eladrin is getting a racial modifier to a defense, it opens the possibility of other races getting defense adjustments. Since it has been suggested before that the +1 Reflex for the halfling Paladin was from a racial bonus, not a class bonus, I've gone ahead now and made the change.

pallen

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
• Reduced Wizard’s trained skills by 1.
I'm curious...why does everyone assume that the Wizard only gets 3 trained skills? The D&D XP Wizard has four trained skills, and I've always assumed that "Skill Training: Stealth" just adds Stealth to the Wizard's list of class skills. Doesn't it seem likely that the Wizard gets the same number of skills as everyone else (except the ranger and rogue, which get more)?

Green Knight

First Post
Skill Training gives you the actual skill. It doesn't just add it to your class list. If that were the case then Skill Training would be utterly useless at later levels. Besides, that's how Skill Training works in Star Wars Saga. You take that Feat and you gain a +5 bonus to any new skill. You become trained in that skill. You don't just have the option of getting trained.

jaldaen

First Post
I was wondering if we have considered whether Careful Attack's Attack section should read:

range + Dexterity modifier vs. AC

It seems to fit the rules revealed so far just as much as (if not more than) the ranged +4 vs. AC does... perhaps it should be mentioned in the PrRC?

Just wondering...

pallen

First Post
Green Knight said:
Skill Training gives you the actual skill. It doesn't just add it to your class list. If that were the case then Skill Training would be utterly useless at later levels. Besides, that's how Skill Training works in Star Wars Saga. You take that Feat and you gain a +5 bonus to any new skill. You become trained in that skill. You don't just have the option of getting trained.
I don't think that's right. In SW Saga, Skill Training gives you a +5 bonus in a class skill. I'd be very surprised if Stealth were a class skill for wizards. So we already know that Skill Training is different from SW Saga. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say there's a different feat that gives you the +5 bonus to a class skill and Skill Training only adds the skill to your list of class skills.

That, to me, makes a lot more sense than:
- Wizards are the only class that get only three trained skills at first level.
- Stealth is a class skill for wizards.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads