• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Ravenloft

Dire Bare

Legend
Seeing as Ravenloft appears to be incorporated into the Shadowfell, I would say it's doubtful.

I don't know, it's still possible. We have dark domains scattered throughout the Shadowfell . . . what if Ravenloft's "Core" is simply a number of domains that all border each other? I think it would work pretty well.

Of course, I wouldn't expect to see a Ravenloft hardcover until after the more distinct settings are released.

VictorC

Explorer
I also heard that Ravenloft would, in some way, be rolled into the core cosmology. I assumed I had been mistaken when the two books I would have expected to contain said material came out with nothing along the line of supporting my assumption.

So now, I'm in wait and see mode.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Since it seems to have been given the 4e borg assimilation treatment, I really doubt that we'll ever see a formal Ravenloft setting from WotC anytime soon. And if we do see it, given 4e's track record thus far with established settings, it'll see major -major- changes.

To endulge in some hyperbole on some level, Ravenloft and Planescape have in many ways like stolen, high end cars taken to a chop shop, had good parts gutted from their original systems, seen other parts welded roughly into place, their interior changed with the leather seats removed for some aftermarket vinyl, and maybe some spinner wheels. The end result has elements of the original but has so many changes it isn't really the same vehicle anymore, nor does it drive the same way, nor does it have the aesthetic feel of the original.

But I might be wrong. Maybe WotC's design crew will have an epiphany and release a setting that has 4e adapted to serve it, rather than having a setting turned inside out to accomodate everything in the 4e default. But for Ravenloft they have a rather high bar to hit given the original 2e books and then the 3e Arthaus material (to say nothing of the awesome stuff released by FoS, etc).

Remathilis

Legend
See, there are two types of Ravenloft...

The "gothic adventure setting" where the mists pull you in and the PCs spend most of their time trying to escape (original box-sets). This is the domains of dread Ravenloft that is mention in MotP and found in adventures like Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. For the foreseeable future, this is the Ravenloft I think will be supported.

The other is the "Gothic Cliche Campaign Setting" where you start as natives in a world run by every Hammer/Universal movie monster and you're goal is to make the world a better place because you ultimately can't beat the dark powers (Domains of Dread, Arthaus 3e). This MAY see support many years down the road; but I don't see it coming soon. Personally, if it DOES return, I'd like to see some more "consistency" added to the world to make it seem more a natural world than an artificial demi-plane of monster-prisons.

Shemeska, I generally agree with you ( albiet silently ).. but not on this point.

Ravenloft is the epitome of a 'points of light' setting and could easily be represented in 4e. I think Strahd would be significantly better without being pinned in the by the 3x ruleset.

While I am dissapointed that we apparently have a full setting, I prefer having something. The way I see it, WoTC has the choice of dabbling in a bunch of the established settings and {hopefully} doing a decent job of it...or spread themselves thin trying to support a bunch of settings with expensive product lines... much like TSR did right before dying.

The choice to dabble makes more sense, even without accounting for the economic troubles.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I agree with Remathilis and Shemeska; we may see elements of the "Weekend in Hell" style pillaged here and there, but a standalone setting? Not likely. Ravenloft as a long-term setting pushed the boundaries of 2E and 3E as it was, and with 4E retrenching back into 'core D&D', I find it highly improbable. Besides, they've still got Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Dark Sun to get to first, and I know at least some people at WotC want to fit some new settings in there.

Interestingly, Strahd's writeup in Open Grave contains a nod to the 3rd Edition Arthaus products, with Strahd's public identity as "Count Strahd von Zarovich XI".

Insight

Adventurer
I agree with Remathilis and Shemeska; we may see elements of the "Weekend in Hell" style pillaged here and there, but a standalone setting? Not likely. Ravenloft as a long-term setting pushed the boundaries of 2E and 3E as it was, and with 4E retrenching back into 'core D&D', I find it highly improbable. Besides, they've still got Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Dark Sun to get to first, and I know at least some people at WotC want to fit some new settings in there.

Interestingly, Strahd's writeup in Open Grave contains a nod to the 3rd Edition Arthaus products, with Strahd's public identity as "Count Strahd von Zarovich XI".

I doubt we'll see 4E Greyhawk anytime soon. I'd bet on seeing 4E Ravenloft first.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads