• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Sample Combat: The Terrasque

WOLead

First Post
Surgoshan said:
Darjin went first, rolled 43 (4d6+18) + 24 (sneak attack; 5d8) + 25 (Duelist's Dagger, 6d8 with Combat Advantage) - 10.

Duelist's Dagger adds the 6d8 damage when Darjin lands a Critical when he has Combat Advantage. Its 6d6 if he landed a Critical without Combat Advantage. Darjin didn't roll a 18-20 as a DaggerMaster, so that damage shouldn't show up in the first round.

Surgoshan

First Post
Oh dear lord. I think I have to go back and change some things. I may finish the second combat tomorrow. It's hard to keep track of all that crap.

I think that's why most people only control 1 PC; what do you think?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I for one am not interested in seeing another result of 5 level 30 fighting a level 30 solo monster.

They'll win, they are designed to win and it's completely uninteresting to read.

If you are determined to run combats, make it worhtwhile. It would be more interesting to see a hard encounter.

By the guidelines, the Tarrasque is Hard for a party of level 27. That would be more interesting. -2 to attack and all defense, fewer magic items, no level 30 epic destiny features...

Or, obviously enough, Orcus against the party. (30+3 is right on target)

DandD

First Post
I'm still interested to see how long it takes to take down a level-appropriate monster that has 1450 hit points. So, take your time and post about it whenever you're ready.

Eldorian

First Post
Someone has probably pointed this out, but big T is a level 30 solo. A level 30 party of 5 should walk over him. Throw him at a level 26 party.

WOLead

First Post
Well if we are going to ask him to through a party of level 26 PCs at the Big T, we might as well supply him possible PCs to fight with, correct? For gear on a Pregen, its Magic Item +1 level, Magic Item = Level, and Magic Item -1 Level? Lets throw in an extra Magic Item -3 and under in level.
Code:
Harry Carpenter level 26
Half-elf Fey Pact Warlock
Feytouched Paragon Path
Demigod Epic Destiny
Abilities:
Str: 14     Dex: 12    Wis: 10
Con: 27    Int:  14    Cha: 27
Defenses:
AC: 43  Fort: 36  Ref: 34   Will: 37
HP: 164  Bloodied: 82  H.S.Value: 41   Surges: 14
Features:
Prime Shot, Warlock's Curse(3d6), Misty Step(Up to 7 Squares due to feat and shoes), Shadow Walk
Skills:
 Insight(Wis)
 Bluff(Cha)
 Intimidate(Cha)
 Arcana(Int)
 Stealth(Dex)[Feat]
Feats:
  1.Improved Misty Step  2.Skill Training: Stealth
  4.Ritual Caster  6.Jack of All Trades
  8.Light Step  10.Human Perseverance
  11.Twofold Curse  12.Secret Stride
  14.Lasting Frost  16.Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
  18.Shield Proficiency: Light Shield  20.Fleet-Footed
  21.Armor Proficiency: Scalemail  22.Epic Resurgence
  24.Action Surge  26.Lightning Reflexes
Powers(Each should be +27[13+6+8] vs. Def):
At Will:
Eyebite, Eldritch Blast

Encounter:
Commander's Strike, Coldfire Vortex[Useless against Big T], Strand of Fate, Dark Transport, Will of the FeyWild

Daily:
Fireswarm, Wrath of Acamar, Curse of the Twin Princes, Whispers of the Fey

Utility:
Ethereal Stride, Dark One's Own Luck, Warlock's Leap, Eye of Warlock, Raven's Glamor, Twilight Teleport, Divine Regeneration.

Items:
Dwarven ElderScale Armor+6(lvl27), Rod+6(lvl26), Eladrin Boots(lvl16), Cloak of Feywild Escape +5(lvl25), Light Shield.
I would rather have a Rod of Harvest+5(lvl24) with 1 pact boon charge already, instead of the Rod+6. But eh, its a Pregen. Follows along the path I have for my own Character.

There are skills in there that are pointless against a Big T fight, one being the Encounter skill Coldfire Vortex, so that one won't be used.

For an opening Salvo against something like Big T, the actions would be as follows.
1st Turn
Minor Action->Warlock's Curse
Use Action Surge for extra Standard Action and grant +4 to the original standard action and +7 to one to the Action Surge Standard Action's attack rolls. +4 to Attack Rolls till the start of the next turn from Feytouched Action, and +3 from Action Surge.
Original Standard->Use Strand of Fate at +31 vs. Ref, Remember the Vulnerability All 10.
Extra Standard->Use Fireswarm at +34 vs. Ref and add Curse damage.
Movement->Either used before to get in range of 10, or afterwards to move to the edge of range.

After that, just use Curse of the Twin Princes[Mark down its extra hit effect when it lands], then Dark Transport, then Eldritch Blasts. If/When an ally gets into trouble, use Wrath of Acamar to by a touch of time with Dark One's Own Luck if needed to make it land, if a second delay is needed then use Whispers of the Fey.

If Wrath of Acamar is unused near the end, launch it off close to the monster dying.

Just tossed out there if someone needed a level 26 character for a redux of a Sample Combat against Big T, just with level 26s. Make edits if you wish.

Last edited:

Surgoshan

First Post
Okay, I've decided to save some space in the thread by putting the file into excel. That way you can peruse at your leisure. This is the first two rounds. I've found a number of errors, so I'm editing as I go. I'll probably end up just throwing out and redoing the later rounds, things are changing so much.

Attachments

• battle.xls
    29 KB · Views: 93

Ian Demagi

Explorer
Surgoshan,

Just your opinion:
Do you think a party of 2 wizards ( one blaster & one blood ), Warlock(mixed powers), Ranger (battlefield archer type), and Cleric (Devoted type) could take down Big T using overlapping zones and delay effects?

Ian

Surgoshan

First Post
I think they could. A big part of what makes the tarrasque such a badass is his ability to attack anything within 3 squares and knock things prone. That party is all ranged, so they'd be able to split up and stay apart, which would nerf big T quite a bit. But if he gets initiative on you, you're in trouble. His trample attack could attack all of them and, potentially, knock them prone. Thus he'd be able to hit them all with that, spend an action point to use his fury and lay out some ongoing damage. Then the next turn they'd have to spend their moves just to stand up, and even if his fury recharged, he'd still spend his second action point to use another trample attack.

In other words, they'd have a tough if a) he got initiative on them (T has +19) and b) he was able to hit them with trample. If they get good rolls on initiative, then he'll have a much more difficult time and I think they'd spank him.

Remove ads