• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E solo with pregen wizard

Baumi

Adventurer
The main problem with a solo character will be that if he gets unlucky and drops ... there is no one who can help him up again (which is otherwise quite simple in the new Edition).

Ipissimus

First Post
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

Agreed, Baumi. But from the playtest, Healing Surges certainly do mitigate that somewhat. And don't ignore the defense bonus you get from Second Wind, it's a life saver (It certainly was in the playtest!).

The Wizard was definitely over her head in those last two fights, I really did feel like the next dice I rolled could have been a kill. Next time, I'm not going to use monsters quite so tough. 2 things allowed her to survive: smart thinking and a good dose of luck.

The encouraging thing that I got from the playtest is that being smart and using all available resources it a big part of the game. On the other hand, the new system might be fast to prepare but DMs are going to have to re-learn the art of eyeballing a bit.

One thing I did notice is that the modifiers given next to the ability scores for monsters are all over the place for no apparent reason. Really wierd.

cyberpunk

First Post
Ipissimus said:
One thing I did notice is that the modifiers given next to the ability scores for monsters are all over the place for no apparent reason. Really wierd.

That is the ability mod, accounting for the level.

E.g., Blazing Skeleton, Level 5. Wis 15 (+4).

Wis 15 --> base +2.

Level 5/2 = 2.5, round down = 2.

Total mod = (Wis bonus) + (Lvl bonus) = 2 + 2 = 4.

parvatiquinta

First Post
Ipissimus said:
If you mean they're higher than expected, those modifiers are supposed to be standard skill modifiers (i.e. to be applied to all skill rolls under that ability, save those few in which the monster/NPC has focused on, as those will be mentioned with a higher modifier).

Ability modifiers themselves haven't been changed from 3.X.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads