• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Sorcerer Power Question

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I'm making a Storm Sorcerer for an upcoming 4e game and I've got a question concerning a 1st level Daily Power:

Ice Javelins
It targets one, two or three creatures
does 1d10 +cha ongoing 5 cold (save ends)

Now, is this 3 projectiles I can target one two or three creatures with?
or am I only doing 1d10+cha even if I only have one target available?

If thats the case then why even bother taking any other Daily power than Dazzling Ray with its 5d6 damage?

And Dazzling Ray... 5d6?! Really? as a L1 Daily? There isnt an encounter or daily until 15th level that even comes close to this amount of damage...

Mr. Teapot

First Post
I'm making a Storm Sorcerer for an upcoming 4e game and I've got a question concerning a 1st level Daily Power:

Ice Javelins

It's still 1d10+Cha, and each target can only be hit once. If it were multiple attacks possible on the same target, it would say so, as with something like the Ranger power Twin Strike.

And Dazzling Ray... 5d6?! Really? as a L1 Daily? There isnt an encounter or daily until 15th level that even comes close to this amount of damage...

Weapon users have a ton of 3[W] powers, which is the equivalent of 6d6 (brutal 1) if you're trying to maximize damage.

abyssaldeath

First Post
Considering that the 12th level Dragonborn winter cheese Sorcerer I made was doing a minimum of 25 points of damage with that spell plus ongoing damage I'd say it's pretty good. Is it a great spell when you only have one target? Nope, but that's not the point of the spell.

Gunpowder

First Post
Nope, if you target one creature you deal just 1d10+cha ongoing 5.
It seems the major aspect Ice javelin has over dazzling is multitargeting, remember you get to add your sorcer extra damage to all your targets not just one. Dazzling will deal at average 15+cha+dex to one target. For ice javelins if the target fails his first saving throw you deal comparable damage (5+10+cha+dex). Target multiple creatures and you just start multiplying that damage.

edit:damn you ninjas

Saagael

First Post
From what I see, you only do 1d10+cha damage, regardless if you're targeting one enemy or three. So you can't target one creature and do 3d10. It would have said "1d10+cha damage per attack."

EDIT: Darn, got ninja'd :D

Squire James

First Post
Ice Javelins casts 1 projectile at up to 3 targets. It probably really is 3 projectiles, but they scatter a bit so only 1 of them can be aimed at the same target.

Versus level 1 foes, the Dazzling Ray probably kills someone while Ice Javelins likely bloodies 3 foes. If you have 3 friends to help mop those bloodied guys up, well, I'd pick Ice Javelins. If you're playing a campaign that features a dragon in every adventure, then Dazzling Ray is the better choice.

A level 1 fighter with a maul can Brute Strike for 6d6 (reliably I might add), so 5d6 might not be too out-of-line!

DracoSuave

First Post

Ice Javelins

If thats the case then why even bother taking any other Daily power than Dazzling Ray with its 5d6 damage?

Dazzling Ray is 6d6 without much real utility. About on par with other striker -big nuke damage- level 1s. The other powers bring utility.

The biggest damage is not always the best power. It's only the best power if 'The biggest damage' is what you desire in your build.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
Dazzling Ray is 6d6 without much real utility. About on par with other striker -big nuke damage- level 1s. The other powers bring utility.

What? I just went through all the Striker classes powers and none other comes remotely close to Dazzling Ray.... Most are 3W or 2-3d8... When are daily powers used the most? Usually fighting the big bad... Single target... With monster hitpoint totals being so high (especially on elites and bosses)... Doing damage is all the utility you need...

The biggest damage is not always the best power. It's only the best power if 'The biggest damage' is what you desire in your build.

Dazzling Ray seems to be the no-brainer level 1 daily to take though... Which kind of annoys me... my character concept is a Storm Sorcerer from the far North and I'm taking powers to fit that concept.... I feel like I'm gimping myself for not taking Dazzling Ray because Ice Javelins is more in line with my concept... And because of that, I wont have the needed damage potiential that my role as striker demands...

DracoSuave

First Post
What? I just went through all the Striker classes powers and none other comes remotely close to Dazzling Ray.... Most are 3W or 2-3d8... When are daily powers used the most? Usually fighting the big bad... Single target... With monster hitpoint totals being so high (especially on elites and bosses)... Doing damage is all the utility you need...

Your daily is often better off making the battle more winnable by changing the field to your advantage. A burst of damage doesn't always do that more effectively, where as something that reduces enemies' effectiveness over the entire battle might add up to more damage in the long term.

A burst of damage that -might- equal an extra attack isn't the same as long term fight utility.

1d10+Cha+Spellsource+5 damage minimum is not small damage either for the level you have it, and on three guys. It also multiples the enhancement mods, etc. etc.

Dazzling Ray seems to be the no-brainer level 1 daily to take though... Which kind of annoys me... my character concept is a Storm Sorcerer from the far North and I'm taking powers to fit that concept.... I feel like I'm gimping myself for not taking Dazzling Ray because Ice Javelins is more in line with my concept... And because of that, I wont have the needed damage potiential that my role as striker demands...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads