• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E spell turning, counterspell, or similar

gnfnrf

First Post
Is there anywhere in the 4th Edition design that PCs can either co-opt monster powers or negate them entirely, in the vein of previous editions spell turning or counterspells?

I know about dominate, but I'm looking for something else. Along the lines of "The hobgoblin force blasts you!" "No, he doesn't" or (in the same effect or a different one) an ability to use or target a monster ability due to interrupting it.

I'm looking to design a custom item, but I want to look at whats already been written before I get too deep into it.

--
gnfnrf

jbear

First Post
I don't know off by heart, and without going into specifics, what you are looking for are items or powers that can be used as an Immeadiate Interrupt. They definitely exist but I can't name names off the top of my head. There is a feat that allows the assassin to use its class encounter power to become insubstantial until the end of its next turn as an interrupt instead of a minor action. Effectively 50% damage reduction.

It is not limited to spells however. Even martial characters have powers that allow interrupts that can negate attacks by moving away when a character comes adjacent to you.

The swordmage can interrupt an attack, teleporting the attacker adjacent to an enemy, which the attacker then attacks instead. Their Shielding Aegis also interrupts damaging attacks, reducing the damage an enemy they have marked inflicts on an ally.

I'm sure their are loads more.

Sorry I can't be more specific atm, but Immeadiate Interrupt is the key word to look for.

knightofround

First Post
Yup. No counterspells in 4E I'm afraid. You're better off making a new immediate interrupt utility power. Make an attack role vs. the caster, and if it succeeds they're dazed/stunned for the remainder of their turn.

Or you could make it a skill power. Like make a feat that allows you to use Arcana as a standard action vs. target within X squares of you. Until the beginning of your next turn, if your target utilizes an [Arcane] ability, as an immediate interrupt you can attempt to counterspell. Both you and target roll opposing Arcane checks. If you win, the target's ability is nullified and is considered "spent". If the opponent wins, the ability takes effect as normal.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
There are plenty of immediate interrupts that allow you to avoid or redirect spells, or move yourself such that you're no longer affected by them. For instance there's a rogue utility that lets you make a jump check as an immediate interrupt when you're targeted by an attack (ie - you would use it to jump to cover).

I would heartily recommend that you do NOT make a power such as knightofround recommends unless you want a very, very bored wizard. Counterspelling saw almost no use throughout 3e and 3.5e until there were feats that made it a reactive option, and at that point it's primary effect was to make magic boring (I cast a spell! It fizzles. The enemy wizard casts a spell! It fizzles... repeat ad nauseum).

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I wonder which behaviour gnfnrf is more interested in?

For Counter Spelling, pretty much any power that can interrupt and negate an action would fit. Might be worht having, but probably too powerful as an at will power.

But a Spell Turning / "I take your attempt to attack me and reflect it back upon you" type of ability? That is a bit harder to pull off. It would be a difficult bit of fluff to swallow if a Martial Power could reflect any attack power that involves a significant amount of energy projection.

END COMMUNICATION

gnfnrf

First Post
A few general responses and clarifications.

I've seen a whole bunch of immediate interrupt abilities which do various things to mitigate an attack. Some increase your defense, some move you out of range, some retarget the attack.

What I have not seen is any power that negates the attack entirely; just make it so it isn't happening any more. This is one effect I am interested in.

The second effect I am looking for is a power that lets a PC use a monster power on a limited basis; either immediately upon activation, or later after storage.

These powers are obviously related (one might naturally follow from the other), but they are not the same. As it seems that they do not exist as I imagine them in 4E RAW, I shall retire to the House Rules board to ask for help designing the ability I want.

--
gnfnrf

unan oranis

First Post
What I have not seen is any power that negates the attack entirely; just make it so it isn't happening any more. This is one effect I am interested in.
--
gnfnrf

Wizard of the spiral tower PP has an ability called "shape the dream" which makes it so an attack that targets your will is considered to have not happened (though still expended).

I'd reccomend pouring through the monster builder if you're looking for a "workhorse" effect as opposed to a normal power type ability.

Kinneus

Explorer
Personally, if a player wanted to do this, I'd make it an in-combat skill challenge to effectively stun an enemy caster. Your item could simply add a big bonus to Arcana checks to counterspell or neutralize an enemy caster.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure there's a power that allows you to make an attack roll and use the result as your defence - probably a fighter or warlord one.

You could do the same with a spell.

Remove ads