• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [4E] Spoiler - Changing the first encounter in KotS

Melkor

Explorer
Hi folks,

I'm going to be running the Shadowfell module on Thursday, but changing up the starting encounters to better fit the start of a large campaign I am getting underway with 4E.

That said, if you are planning to play this module, and haven't already had it spoiled for you, stop reading.

Since I have played in only 4 sessions of 4E, haven't DM'd it yet, and have only read through the PHB and skimmed the DMG to this point, I wanted to ask you guys how you would balance the first encounter - the Kobold ambush on the road.

There are going to be 6 total PCs, but only four present during this encounter. None of them will be the module pregens. One of them, a Dragonborn Fighter, is going to have been attacked by the Kobolds, and already bloodied by the time the other three characters arrive: A human Cleric, human Warlord, and human Paladin.

How would you guys change the original encounter to account for the above scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

unobserved

First Post
I ran 4 characters through that first encounter over the weekend. I had a Dragonborn Paladin, Halfling Archer Ranger, Dwarf Fighter & Eladrin Wizard.

It wasn't an incredibly tough fight, I think they used a handful of dailies (some of which didn't hit) and they didn't (as per the party make-up at that point) have a leader (healer) class.

If I remember correctly, none of the characters went down although a couple came close.

Your party make-up might be a little low on damage, but they should more than make up for it with the two leaders as long as they play smart (the Cleric & Warlord could have the Fighter back up to full hp in the first round while still making attacks of their own)

I would either play it out as is and maybe have one or the kobolds run away if things got tough. Or, you might consider either removing the slinger or changing one of the dragonshields into a slinger.

Furtive Noise

First Post
If the Dragonborn is bloodied because they attacked him, then start off one of the shield bearers as bloodied or weakened too- he must have fought back. Its not a tough fight and they'll go to town soon after so don't worry too much. The last surviving kobold can also run away to report them instead of fighting to the death.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads