• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E *** 4e Stats for Spined Devil ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Other posters have already observed that it's highly unlikely that the 3.X stat bonuses have changed. What we're seeing is a convenient step beyond what Star Wars Saga Edition did, which is to add half character level to many of the circumstances where ability score bonuses applied, and in this case it means most ability checks are actually untrained skill checks of 1d20 + ability score modifier + 1/2 level.

Cheers,
Cam

Treacherous_B

First Post
It's possible the high stat bonuses are just normal ability/modifier + 1/2 level. In this case the Str., for example, is 19 (+4) + 6/2 (+3) = +7

Szatany

First Post
Treacherous_B said:
It's possible the high stat bonuses are just normal ability/modifier + 1/2 level. In this case the Str., for example, is 19 (+4) + 6/2 (+3) = +7
Possible but unlikely, because if that's the case then where the +3 bonus on all defenses came from? (for example Reflex is 10+1/2 level+ability mod and it doesn't make sense if both this formula and Dex itself has 1/2 incorporated)

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
His Fort WIll and Reflex defenses are 10+level+base stat mod (the adjusted stat mod listed is base + 1/2 level)

If you are working off 10+1/2 level+printed stat mod you are adding 1/2 level twice (which accounts for the +3 since level is 6).

Paraxis

Explorer
The number next to the stat seems to be the normal bonus +1/2 level. This is there for things like untrained skill checks. No need to have the normal bonus there because it is already taken into account for all the stuff it is used for, attack bonus, damage, hit points, save bonus ect....

The only skill it has listed is Spot because the only modifier to any skills it has is the +5 from the Perception ability. All other skill uses would be considered untrained and just use those convient numbers next to the Stat.

HP is probably the (5*2=10) from first level, (5*5=25 from levels 2-6), and (2*6=12 from Con bonus) all together = 47. We already know that HD are gone so it has to be a static number per level + Con bonus. And in SWSE heroes got times three hitpoints at first level it doesn't seem out of place for monsters (or non-heroic classes) to have double hitpoints at first level.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Paraxis said:
We already know that HD are gone so it has to be a static number per level + Con bonus.
Not necessarily... couldn't monsters roll HP per level, like a character?
Or,
Maybe characters don't roll HP per level anymore, either! A monsters role or a characters class could provide a set number of points per level.
Seems about time to make that official, since that's how the Living Campaigns have been doing it.

Warbringer

Explorer
Praxis.. I agree with your math/assumptins.

I've been wondering if in 4e heroes will also have flat 5 hps per level (e no more class distinction)

ShinRyuuBR

First Post
It says "Poison 5", and I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 is the "attack bonus" against the target's fortitude defense. That's how it works in Star Wars Saga.

It's probably just HP damage (per round). Some official 4E article said how wierd it was that warforged DR was applying to poison damage.

Perception +5, Spot +10? Huh?

Weird, but could be simply the -5 penalty for being distracted. Spot must have been a typo.

I wonder what else immortal effects now? I expect they wouldn't mention it unless it came up (i.e., it had an effect) in a certain percentage (20%??) of encounters.

That probably just points out that it's a humanoid whose soul and body are indistinguishable. Other outsiders probably will be immortal beasts, immortal elementals (or perhaps immortal oozes?)...

Neversight? Is that like Darkvision, but encompassing more stuff, and restricted to Immortals?

Shouldn't be much different from devilsight.

Spine Rain Standard, Ranged 10; +9 Dex vs. Ref; 1d6+2 + 2d6 Fire AND Poison 5, Slowed while Poisoned.

The only thing here which isn't intuitive is "Standard" ... standard what? As opposed to what non-standard attacks?

That's because it is not a regular ranged attack, but a special attack. If it were, it would be listed as Ranged in bold, instead of Spine Rain in bold. It's a standard action and has range of 10 squares. What I do NOT get is the "+9 Dex".

18-19+7
16-17+6
14-15+5
12-13+4
10-11+3
8-9 +2
6-7 +1

I would really prefer this to be true, even do away with ability scores altogether, leaving only the modifiers... but the damage bonuses point out to the +1/2 lvl + ability mod. theory.

It's possible that armor grants DR but I doubt it grants both.

I very much doubt this. If armor gave DR instead of an AC bonus, there would be no need for AC separate from Reflexes. Also, not even SWSaga dared to go there, why would we expect D&D4 to do it?

On the "+" side, I'm glad that "outsider" has been replaced by "immortal". The translation will be a lot less clumsy.

Amen!

Edit: Just checked that Rich Baker said that DR applied to psychic damage and poison damage and this was weird. It probably has been addressed by now, but those probably remain as new HP damage types.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
The Perception and Spot listing could mean Perception +5 (generic, all encompassing perception), and +5 for Spot when trying to see things, for a total in that situation of +10.

Paraxis

Explorer
When they talk about "What are these Hite Dice you speak of?" it only makes sense to me that rolling is no longer in effect for Hit Points for either Monsters or PC's.

As far as if there will be different Hit Points per level for different types of Monsters and Classes, I think there will be. I understand the idea behind a flat number like 5 per level, but with the whole concept of roles in the party and one being a defender (the guy who is supposed to take a good number of the hits) it just seems to me that they would get more hit points then say a striker who is all about hit and run or ranged attacks.

Plus it would make monsters to uniform if they only had 5+Con per level no matter the type, Dragons should have lots of HP per level for example and so should undead, IMHO.

From what I've seen they have made some rather good changes, I wish we had more examples because right now one of my concerns is that things will be to uniform, that everyone/everythings saves will be 10+LVL+Stat Modifier...I don't want that. Different saves, and hit points help make the characters stand out from each other.

But yes it is about time that they went with a flat number (whatever it is) for Hit Points.

Hopefully they removed the idea of rolling for ability scores as well. Point buy is the only way to make the game fair and balanced (like how I like my news).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads