• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E (4E) Swordbond Travel Times

Ryujin

Legend
Not often other than...
1) just captured and your weapons are being held in the storage room (or by a guard near by)

2) just waking up or otherwise not expecting a combat in your inn room (or something) when you're surprised by attack...

and so on.

but, yes, not often at all... depends on style of the campaign.

In #1 I would consider letting the Swordmage use it as a method of finding the gear taken off the party. Not as a "locate object", so much as a "you sense that your sword is near" when he gets within the range of the power.

#2 would be good in the places that make you give up your weapon in order to enter, like certain taverns, or if you happen to be on trial for murder and the sword comes up as evidence :lol:

The Weregamer

First Post
Given the lack of disarming powers, how often has this ability actually come up?

It hasn't come up at all in my campaign because no one is playing a swordmage, but I intend to make one the next time I create a new character so I was curious about how this feature worked. Personally I can see all kinds of uses for this ability. In addition to the ideas above (disarmed, captured, woken suddenly, etc.), a dishonest swordmage could sell his magic sword for gold, walk out of town, and then summon the sword back (with the 1-mile feat, of course). You don't have to worry if your sword is stolen. You could even just use the sword as an improvised ranged weapon and not need to chase it. As was said before, it's mainly a fluff thing, but it can add a lot of flavor to a character, IMO.

Wraith Form

Explorer
In #1 I would consider letting the Swordmage use it as a method of finding the gear taken off the party. Not as a "locate object", so much as a "you sense that your sword is near" when he gets within the range of the power.

This, but possibly with a fairly easy Arcana check (in my campaign).

WalterKovacs

First Post
One example where it would be useful is if you need a longer ranged item. You can drop it, and switch to heavy thrown items, then pull it back to you when needed, assuming it's not easier than just picking it up. It still is odd to have an anti-disarm effect in 4e [not to mention the swordbond also has anti-sundering powers as well]. One thing I was going to do as a DM in a game with a swordmage was to effectively allow the swordmage to have the ability to upgrade their weapon without needing to know how to perform the ritual, and perhaps even use the alternate rules for levelling items in place of treasure from Adventurer's Vault.

Remove ads