• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E: Talent trees, class features or both?

Exen Trik

First Post
Definitely both. Talent trees are great... but when you look at a class and just see the same whatever a dozen times (I'm looking at you, d20 modern!) it just seems dull. Not to mention, classes need at least some specific, defining features to them. Keeping at least a few constant, labeled benefits across the class levels helps bring the whole thing together.

Merlion

First Post
Exen Trik said:
Definitely both. Talent trees are great... but when you look at a class and just see the same whatever a dozen times (I'm looking at you, d20 modern!) it just seems dull. Not to mention, classes need at least some specific, defining features to them. Keeping at least a few constant, labeled benefits across the class levels helps bring the whole thing together.

This is how I feel. Classes need to be defined at least somewhat as what they are, but that definition should be a broad one.

I feel a talent tree system alone will (and I know this is a bit paradoxical) both damage the identities of the classes as we know them and/or remove the ability to have a general wizard or a general fighter. I don't want to HAVE to be a Fire Mage or a Summoner, I want to be able to choose to be a generalist...same with warrior types. I don't want to HAVE to be a dual-wield ranger or an archer ranger, I want to have the option of just being a ranger.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Also definitely both. Just look at SAGA. In other systems talents and talent trees are shared across different classes. It's a nice synergy effect eliminating redundancy of game rules. And I'm guessing we will see new talent trees added for both new and old classes (making them new too) just as often as we see PrCs now.

Specific class abilities will almost certainly be kept so each class can have unique abilities none other can. Sort of like monsters.

Branduil

Hero
Yes, I think we will definitely see both. I imagine every Rogue will have the 4e equivalent of sneak attack, but the other stuff can change; every Barbarian will probably have a rage-like feature, etc. The other stuff can be talents.

Caliber

Explorer
breschau said:
...Talent trees are the bees knees. (Yes, I am that old. Not all old people fear change.)

I never got that saying. Do bees even have knees?

Oh, and I'm all for talent trees. They are the bee's knees (?) afterall!

Thundershield

First Post
Caliber said:
I never got that saying. Do bees even have knees?

Oh, and I'm all for talent trees. They are the bee's knees (?) afterall!
It's a wordplay... Bee's knees = Business.

It's from back in the 1920's and means "what it's all about" or "where it's happening".

Remember, Wikipedia is your friend.

As for the thread topic, a mix of talents and integral class features would be very interesting and could be the key to making base classes both versatile and specialized at the same time.

Let's hope for the best.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Probably an alternating talent/feat option with talent trees replacing class features.

Prestige classes may have a different class feature every level.

DreamChaser

Explorer
TroyXavier said:
If they're doing talent trees, I hope they make them more interesting at low levels than a lot of the D20 Modern snooze fest trees.

Nah...i'm hoping that fighters get a +1 with a weapon and that wizards add their class level to spellcraft checks. this makes for the REAL excitement in the game

honestly, I pray that the +X to Y abilities become largely a thing of the past -- or if they exist, make them the passive part of an active ability.

DC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads