• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] The Wolfcrown, Chapter 1

industrygothica

Adventurer
Baern walks right up to the man, his hammer clutched in his thick fingers at his side. The dwarf clearly has no qualms about invading anyone's personal space, as he stands toe-to-toe with the Bounder and glares up at him. "'Tis a fine ranger indeed who'll load up his bow and forget the business end."

Rathan

First Post
Doren smiles as his companions actions, at least he knew they were adept at not being caught off guard.

"Come my friends, thug or not he DOES wear the official uniform of the queen. Perhaps we should just... bring him along to the queen. I have enough knowledge to make my way there from the maps and such I've studied. And I'm sure Thomas here will assist... I'm sure he's booked himself enough whits about him to help me get there. We can get to the bottom of this without violence. Come now bounder you'll be our guest as we meet the queen." the priest utters, his voice dripping with the tones that bounder certainly did NOT have a choice in going with them. "And of course we'd like your weapons please Bounder. Never can be TOO careful as the wisest of us always say. There are so 'many' of us that I'm sure you will come to no harm without them I'll *personally* see to it myself." Doren added as he knew forcing Bounders 'hand' so to speak would either flush him out for who he really was... or he'd agree. Either way this instance would come to a head.

yzard

First Post
Thomas, Summoner Wizard

Thomas started out this conversation only a little wary, but as the others spoke and expressed doubt his suspicions grew.

"He very well could be who he says he is...but I don't trust my judgment in these kinds of matters, not when everyone else has suspicions.", Thomas thought to himself.

Hearing the warning that the elf might be a distraction, Thomas looks around cautiously and readies himself for whatever might come next.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"There was nothing in the missive to the Queen to suggest she knew we where coming," Torath says eyeing the eldarins reaction. "So you must have suspected we would be skeptical of your assistance but here you stand with only your words. I am sorry if we error but we must take you into our custody before we proceed further."

Torath watches for those tell-tale signs of deception or truth, being told as he was taught by the monks.

[sblock=Insight?] Can you roll an Insight check for Torath, also note he is not keeping an eye on the forest. [/sblock]

[sblock=Insight check]Torath makes a successful Insight check.[/sblock]

There's something not quite right about Bounder's accent. Although he's speaking common, he sounds almost as if he's trying not to sound like a native speaker.

He also seems overly confident, as if hiding something. For a moment he looks at each of you.

"Very well. I'll give you my blades - even the bow, if you want. As to where my arrows have gone to, well, that's a story I wouldn't mind telling."

His hand drifts idly toward the handle of his knife.

"I was patrolling the edge of the forest, and I was told to anticipate a small group of agents approaching from the east. While I had my eyes looking out there, something snuck up on me - a panther. Sometimes they attack during mating season, but I was too busy to notice it. The beast lunged - knocked me right off the branch, and it tried to take a bite out of me. Thank Adele it only got the strap to my quiver!"

His hand caresses the handle of his knife. His fingers wrap steadily around the grip.

"Anyway, I took out my blade and wounded it, and it took off. Have a look for yourself!"

In a flash, Bounder flings his knife through the air, and it digs itself into a tree trunk. Blood drips from the blade into a bed of dry leaves on the ground, and Bounder laughs.

"Can we go now, or do you want to hear another story?"

Shayuri

First Post
"Don't bother," Thorn suggests. "We'll just tie your hands together and march you back with us. If the Queen takes issue with our treatment of you, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

She goes to the dagger in the tree and yanks it back out.

"In the meantime, I'm sure there'll be folk there who can tell the difference between panther blood and eladrin bodyguard blood. Pity you didn't take a few seconds to clean the blade after slaying...whatever it was you slew. Almost seems like you were expecting to need to show it off or something. Hard on the blade though. It's how they rust."

While staring into each of your eyes and seeing the hostility deep within them, "Bounder" realizes his ruse has failed. He takes a step back, away from the threatening proximity of Baern and the others, and smiles.

"All right, friends. I'll see you soon."

He turns and takes off into the woods. You see him weaving gracefully through the trees, and just before he ducks out of view, you notice that his golden hair has changed to an ashen white, and that his smooth, handsome skin has somewhat dissolved into a gray pallor. This transformation looks all-too familiar. Your mind turns to Thorn's similar appearance.

You lose track of "Bounder's" position.

[sblock=ooc]Although Squeal hasn't been involved for a few days, just assume he's following whatever you decide to do.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Thorn snorts.

"Amateur. Definitely not the assassin that killed a king, that one. Though he had some background details. Seems the 'Orphans' have a mole somewhere in position to overhear at least some of their plans."

industrygothica

Adventurer
Thorn snorts.

"Amateur. Definitely not the assassin that killed a king, that one. Though he had some background details. Seems the 'Orphans' have a mole somewhere in position to overhear at least some of their plans."

Baern looks at Thorn, his face expressionless. "And he's got yerself holdin' onto a dagger drippin' with who knows whose blood," he says with a nod towards the blade in her hand. "Said yerself it looked like he was savin' it for somethin'."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Come my new friends," Torath says sheathing his blade. "We must warn the Queen, and then we can deal with these Munsuian devils of The Cloak."

Torath is determined to find out what Munsu (one of The Four) has to do with this group The Cloak. And to get answers, he needs to first do his duty.

Remove ads