• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E VoiP/Chat MapTool Tuesday Evenings

gamervoid

First Post
I admit I am a bit rusty at the overall power scheme of the attack myself, but the reason it is a good option could lie in it's ability to block off a square and use it strategically. For instance, a creature in combat would tend to avoid a cloud of magical blades if a safe square remains somewhere else. The exception would be if the creature is too dumb or too smart. For instance, a kobold/bugbear/goblin would go around unless they really needed to get through, but a zombie would just bust through, and a smart tactical enemy might suffer the extra dmg to get in a better position.

Why it is also cool though is it is something that enemies can be pushed through to add bits of dmg onto a forced move effect. If he pushes his wisdom over the long run, it makes powers like that and thunderwave much more potent, and even supplemental to each other to control the battle.

I like ray of frost too for all those escaping enemies, but since we need more crowd control, these are good choices.

Alastor118

First Post
I tried connecting to the server but it's not up to date. The server's version is 1.3.b34, the latest version is 1.3.b35, and I can't downgrade. Might want to fix that.

Dungnmaster001

First Post
The older version can be found if you try downloading the zip file, all the older versions are available that way

downloading the older one now. Luckily I've got a good connection and should be done in about 2 min. One question though, do I need to fully uninstall the newer one before running the older one? Most software acts funny when you try to downgrade it.. oh well I'll find out in t minus 1.5 min

renau1g

First Post
I'll be late, my best friend had a baby and I just walked in the door, my twins need to eat and I'm on baby duty, I hope to be on within the hour.

Sorry...

gamervoid

First Post
It was the first session, but there were some things that we can improve on in future games.

+we did a pretty good job on being ready to act on our turns

-we did bad on knowing whos turn it was. To fix this, I think that after a round of comabt, we should announce the order for all to write down in front of them. This also means people will be more ready and stay on the heels of slow acting players to keep the pace up

+strategically, we acted fairly well for the first group combat

-We all had issues with making clear what each action would be used for (we have 3) and when we were done using them (saying "done" to move the next player). Also, for strategy sake, even though your class might not have a good default use of a minor action, it is best to burn it off doing something potentially useful such as a sense check or drawing a weapon/item, this will also help the "done" element of each persons turn since it is clear that all actions are gone.

-Voice chat fell during combat, which is alright, but in cases where your action involves another player, or the DM, using voice to get thier attention "I heal bob for 16" or "bob, you can shift 1" can be more likely to get thier response made and not hold up the rest of your actions.

+we did well to make our own macros, meaning we dont specifically need to do the work to implement the pregen auto correcting ones

-We all noticed how mixed things got on tracking statuses on pcs and npcs. It should be every player's responsibility to track both thier statuses, and those they create on everyone else. It would be better if each player kept a list of the effects they have on each token on paper next to them along with the DM. I could say "bob, dont forget that I dazed bat2", or to the DM "bat2 id still dazed, till he saves" or at the end of my turn say "x, y, and z are no longer stunned" then for the DM to be the sole one responsible.

-Each time a complicated effect happens on the field, especially ones with lingering effects, we need to explain them when used, and if possible add marking to the map ourself to save DM time. Our macros can have those in most cases

A lot of these come from the lack of tangible presence over the pieces and the board, but we have to keep our minds on what is going on. We dont have angry faces to see that we are taking too long, we cant see the other players goofing off to tell them to pay attention, but these things need to be considered.

gamervoid

First Post
On a lighter note though, I realized that we can cover a lot of non combat ground here in the forums. We could RP all the way up to the next combat, so we save as much time as possible. It would be a play by post kind of thing with perhaps not every player 100% active, but it would be nice I think.

For instance, we just beat the raiders, and surely was able to keep one of them alive, so we can be interrogating him, collecting any loot, and them making our way to the camp, talking to them, entering the place, etc...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads