• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e - what kind of rate of advancement is typical?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
This is genius. It's old school! It's treasure that determines XP! ;)
It is funny that you say that, because DMing 4e reminds me of DMing 1e and 2e. I find myself asking the question, "what would be fun" when prepping a 4e adventure; with 3e I always felt I had to go with "what will the rules allow for" (admittedly, this is probably more of my hang-up than 3e's).

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Somebloke

First Post
To be honest, I typically just write a self-contained 'episode' of the campaign (my campaign is a long road trip, so each 'location' is one adventure) that lasts for 4-5 sessions of around 3 hours (so 12-15 hours total). At the end I advance the players a level. I find this a LOT easier and simpler than the old XP advancement method (which of course I still use for encounter design).

karlindel

First Post
I am in three campaigns, so I'll compare them separately.

For one campaign, we game twice a month for 6 hour sessions, and it usually takes us about three sessions to level.

For the other campaign, we just finished Keep on the Shadowfell, weekly for 4-5 hour sessions, and we levelled three times in 13 sessions, so about four sessions per level.

I run a campaign 1-3 times a month for 4-8 hours. The players tend to level every 2 long sessions or 3 shorter sessions.

Akaiku

First Post
My group's apparently atypical level rate is once every 3.5 months IRL.

It is 4-6 hours sessions weekly that get 1-2 exp-granting encounters.

Thusly, just recently, one gm has doubled the exp given by the charts and another has gone with the whole once per 'adventure' approach. Still have a holdout.

willf

First Post
Like many others on this thread, my players level every 3+ sessions of 2-3 encounters per session, or about once per month.

I tend to give moderately high XP quests, to speed it up a little.

We use XP, and they really like the reward value, the precise record of progress to date, and the variable reward depending on the difficulty of the encounter.

alleynbard

First Post
What I do as a DM is get together the level's treasure parcels and make sure to hand them out appropriately. After I've handed out all of the treasure, I know I'm free to level them. So I basically level the characters at speed of plot making sure that I don't mess up game balance along the way.

That's clever. I like that method.

alleynbard

First Post
My group reaches a level every 2 or 3 sessions.

I have been calculating XP as normal, but like others I am starting to wonder why. Since XP isn't a resource to be managed like it was in 3e I feel comfortable eliminating it entirely. I didn't use XP with my 1e/2e games and only went back to the system because of its importance in 3e.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I'm somewhat startled to hear some of the numbers here, but I guess it just shows the diversity of gaming experiences.

From a player's perspective, we cleared Keep on the Shadowfell in three 7-hour sessions, and gained approximately 1 level in each session. Our 5 PCs completed 7-8 combats each session, with an extended rest between each session.

From a DM's perspective, my players tend to level every 1-2 sessions (Heroic level)... and then it slows down to every 2-3 sessions (Paragon level). We do 5-6 hour sessions with 3-5 combat encounters.

Knowing the tricks to keep combats short (from both a player's and DM's perspective) helps a lot. It's very rare that a combat goes more than 1 hour in any of our games, unless it's a climactic battle. Most are done in 30 minutes.

jbear

First Post
I have a large group (7-8 players). I find I have to throw higher level encounters at them to challenge them. This means they level a bit faster than 1 level per 10 encounters. Around 1 per 6 o 7 encounters including challenges would be more accurate in my case.

We only meet once or twice a month so I don't mind the fast levelling.

Last edited:

Remove ads