• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Without Magic Items?

MonkeyMage

First Post
I was wondering if there was a good way to do this. My initial thoughts include giving a bonus to Attack, AC, and Defenses of +1 per five levels, to balance out the lack of enhancement bonuses. To make up for the loss of item powers, I was thinking about giving the multiclass stuff for free and on top of normal power choices, rather than in exchange. My only problem is that that it only works up through paragon, so I'm not sure what to do for epic tier.

Pyrex

First Post
Instead of changing multiclassing, offer one extra feat at each tier (levels 1, 11 & 21, could be used for multiclass feats) and an extra At-Will, Encounter and Daily power at oh, say 5th, 15th & 25th respectively.

Or alternately, instead of fixing the powers, just let them add a power at 5th, 15th & 25th and let them chose which is the At-Will/Encounter/Daily (so they could pick Daily(5th)/At-Will(15th)/Encounter(25th) or whatever other arrangement).

eleventh

First Post
Weapon-based powers gain attack roll bonuses from proficiency, but Implement-based powers do not. To compensate this, implement-based powers gain attack and damage roll bonuses from magic enhancement. Removing magic items from the game would upset this balance. Thus, any system you institute for removing/replacing magic items would need to address this.

MonkeyMage

First Post
Weapon based attacks gain the Enhancement bonus to damage same as Implements, what makes you think otherwise?

----

How is this for an idea?

At levels 15 & 19, your level 1 & 5 daily attack powers become encounter powers. You still get the new daily attack powers from 15 & 19.

At levels 25 & 29, the same thing happens with your level 9 & 15 daily attack powers.

I'm not sure if that would be too powerful or not.

Last edited:

Remove ads