• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e's Inorganic Loot System: Yay or Nay?

Clawhound

First Post
The parcel system is INVALUABLE to adventure designers. In previous edition, we had all kinds of strange swings to what treasure was awarded at which levels. Now, we actually have guidelines so that adventure level 4 over here won't break adventure level 5 over there.

When I write for Dungeon, I can submit and adventure that meets the expectations of the game.

When I write and publish my own adventure, it can match the expectations of the game.

Much of the DMG really helps adventure writers.

Kraydak

First Post
The parcel system is INVALUABLE to adventure designers. In previous edition, we had all kinds of strange swings to what treasure was awarded at which levels. Now, we actually have guidelines so that adventure level 4 over here won't break adventure level 5 over there.

When I write for Dungeon, I can submit and adventure that meets the expectations of the game.

When I write and publish my own adventure, it can match the expectations of the game.

Much of the DMG really helps adventure writers.

Except that the parcel system+4e magic item purchase/resale rules only works if you tailor the loot to the party... which a module designer cannot do. The best you can do is to tell the DM what parcels to put where, but then you lose the ability to drop plot-relevant magic items into the adventure.

Dave Turner

First Post
I think that gamism is used as a cover by lazy, uncreative, dullard GMs who want to play a miniatures wargame that doesn't bother with things like role-playing and immersion.

(See how that goes? See how it doesn't add to the thread in any way? See how it's baiting? Also, I'd work on your counting a little bit, unless five somehow equals three in your anti-verisimilitude world.)

Well, if you're a hard-working, creative, and bright GM, then you shouldn't be irked by the DMG's treasure guidelines in the first place. Creative and bright GMs, who aren't hindered by gamist concerns over close adherence to the rules, will throw whatever treasure they want into their games. Non-gamist GMs shrug off the non-immersive effects of rules they don't like and do what they feel is best for their particular game.

So what's the problem? The DMG's treasure guidelines are a baseline or guide for DMs who wish to keep the game balanced. 4e seems to have a strong focus on mathematical balance and most DMs are keen to maintain that balance.

If mathematical game balance is less important than immersion, then you can ignore the DMG's treasure guidelines. It's that simple. If you want to give your dragon a bag of holding and a +1 dagger, then go for it. Immerse away.

4e is not a computer game, hermetically sealed against tampering. You are free to tinker with the system as much as you like.

Mengu

First Post
I never did pay much attention to treasure guidelines in previous editions. This one is actually easier to follow, though I more than likely still won't pay much attention to it. People find treasure, where treasure is. If they are fighting to defend a village from orc raids, the raiders aren't likely to have treasure with them. But if they go raid the orc lair, they might find a few trinkets. If they are hunting for the treasure of the legendary orc pirate Red Tusk, they might find more than a few trinkets.

I'll obviously pay attention to what kind of overall treasure characters of their level should have, but I'll likely be more spontaneous about where that treasure is found.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I did and still do, at least as a starting point. I do this for the same reason I prefer to roll stats and hit points, they give me suggestions that I might not think up on my own.

Good point.

I remember at one time I'd roll randomly several times until I got something that 'felt right'. 3e with its 'expected treasure levels' worked against that somewhat, as random rolling could provide something way above the expected treasure level.

Eventually I decided that it worked better for me to just decide what was available - although I completely appreciate your choice, and that random 'spark' of inspiration is a good thing.

Cheers

malacapricornis

First Post
Except that the parcel system+4e magic item purchase/resale rules only works if you tailor the loot to the party... which a module designer cannot do. The best you can do is to tell the DM what parcels to put where, but then you lose the ability to drop plot-relevant magic items into the adventure.

The DMG explicitly states that with published adventures you ought to sub in an equivalent level item appropriate for the party.

Eldorian

First Post
I prefer looting hugs n smiles from the ladies.

There should be a system for that.

Hmm. In common usage, looting refers to stealing when the owner has either abandoned the property, died, or there is a riot going on. I'm assuming you don't want to loot dead ladies in this fashion, so stealing "hugs n smiles" during a riot sounds.. odd.

Arbitrary

First Post

So much can't.

"The loot in this module is appropriate for a party of 5th level characters that will reach 9th by the end of it. If any items do not fit with the party feel free to change them out. The Alabaster Longsword of Decision is a plot item so it should remain but it could be changed into essentially any melee weapon."

The only problem with including a paragraph like that is that it is redundant. The DMG makes it clear not to hand out unusable items and if a DM isn't following the recommended loot sytem they probably aren't too concerned about what is in a module either.

Remove ads