• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th ed -- yeah, but are you actually ready to leave behind the 3rd?

Talk versus action

• I like to talk 4th ed, and I'm ready to leave 3rd behind.

Votes: 33 9.7%
  • I like to talk 4th ed, but I'm not ready for a move yet.

Votes: 78 22.9%
  • I'm not really interested in chatting 4th ed or moving toward it.

Votes: 184 54.0%
  • I paradoxically avoid 4th ed chat, but I want it bad.

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • I'm one of those goofballs who picks the non-responsive poll option.

Votes: 38 11.1%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I voted "talk but no switch from 3e yet" but I'm more under "other", as I'd not be switching away from 3e, but from 1e.

Lanefan

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Presto2112 said:
Let's see.... do I still have oodles of character concepts I wanna try out, using the current ed.?

Hmmm.... yup.

This is a very, very good point. I'm in the same boat.

Honestly, I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of the variety potential of 3.5. I want to do that before I change editions.

Sejs

First Post
dwetzel said:
I'd be very happy to move to a theoretical 4e, if it were better. And by better I mean still a ROLE PLAYING GAME!!! I'd be eager to buy a better D&D or d20 system. I'd be thrilled to drop $100 in WotC's coffers for a new, better D&D book.

I'm not interested in a D&D boardgame nor am I interested in a D&D collectible <anything> game.

You know, I'm starting to notice a theme with that whole roleplaying train you've got going there. Care to elucidate?

sullivan

First Post
I just got finished sending a couple of emails, and it looks like the one group I'm in that still had interest in D&D has a high chance of leaving 3.5 behind in about a month. Where to? Obviously not 4e, so the boat has sailed for us. I have no choices to pick on that poll.

Unknown destination right now, but it likely will be something classless because we've talked about it and have come to realize that the power increases over levels and stricture of the classes are in the way of some critical common ground. Which was a particularly unexpected conclusion to me since one of the people describes his dream game as "1e AD&D with the rules cleaned up". But entirely logical when we started looking at his priorities and that of the other players.

Likely be sorting out nearly everything tonight, but the chances are very high that we'll be keeping the same campaign and nearly all the same characters. Particularly the ones that have been around since we started the campaign. We've played with them off and on for a large number of years now.

P.S. Feel free to chime in with your "classless" style fantasty antedotes and suggestions here. Keep in mind this is a world that is set in an Atlantis largely based on Robert E. Howard but very strong AD&D creature and mythos influence. Realtively low magic, low fantasy.

erc1971

Explorer
dwetzel said:
I'd be very happy to move to a theoretical 4e, if it were better. And by better I mean still a ROLE PLAYING GAME!!! I'd be eager to buy a better D&D or d20 system. I'd be thrilled to drop $100 in WotC's coffers for a new, better D&D book.

I'm not interested in a D&D boardgame nor am I interested in a D&D collectible <anything> game.

QFT

Eric Noah's rumors that made it seem like they were going to incorporate collectability into 4th edition would ensure they get $0 of my dollars.

But, if they streamlined the game, made all the classes functionable through all levels, cleared up all the ambiguities, etc - I would buy it. I like 3.5, but it has become a monstrosity of sloppy rules. Clean things up, make combat run fast and smooth. And, lower the power level a bit - the game is so hard to run after 10-11th level.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Driddle said:
It's pretty darn common to talk up what 4th edition could or should involve when and if it's ever released. Fun, fun stuff. Wacky good times.

But, honestly, for all the hopeful discussion of improvements, are you really, truly ready to let go of the current edition and embrace new material? Or are you still in the land of theory and potential?
I only read the 4E threads (or some of them). As for changing over to it... not on your tintype!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads