• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th ed -- yeah, but are you actually ready to leave behind the 3rd?

Talk versus action

• I like to talk 4th ed, and I'm ready to leave 3rd behind.

Votes: 33 9.7%
  • I like to talk 4th ed, but I'm not ready for a move yet.

Votes: 78 22.9%
  • I'm not really interested in chatting 4th ed or moving toward it.

Votes: 184 54.0%
  • I paradoxically avoid 4th ed chat, but I want it bad.

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • I'm one of those goofballs who picks the non-responsive poll option.

Votes: 38 11.1%

B9anders

Explorer
solomoncane said:
We're pretty much moving toward all OGL anyway.
As a bunch of grognards, we translate our past to present gaming as follows:

O/AD&D --> C&C
Classic Traveller --> T20 or the Avenger Classic Traveller current playtest
Top Secret --> Spycraft 2.0 or True20
Champions --> M&M2e
Anything Else --> True20, Risus, Wushu, or Active Exploits

Bring on the 4thEd, we won't even notice...

wrong.

Traveller + everything else --> GURPS ;)

solomoncane

First Post
B9anders said:
wrong.

Traveller + everything else --> GURPS ;)

Actually, we're grognards with jobs, small children, and many other Real Life (TM) activities.
We avoid the big-crunch stuff (...runs screaming from GURPS4 or HERO5...). This is what has really driven us away from 3.5 & d20 in general.

Out of my previous list, CT and C&C are the big winners.
The ultra-lights (Risus & Wushu) have their place.
True20 & M&M2e are pushing it.
T20 & SC2 are rare at the table.

If 4E is more streamlined than 3.5 (as supposed on the Star Wars threads), I'll look, but probably won't be interested.

I took the non-responsive option because there is no other option that reasonably represents my feelings on the matter. I don't DISlike talking about 4E as such, but I do try to avoid it. When we start getting verified word that 4E is an active project I'll start throwing in my 2cp on what I would want and why. Until then I try to avoid it as it just seems like tedious, pointless speculation at best andat worst are irritating whinefests about how terrible things are now and how they are bound to only get worse with a new edition. Most grating of all is the hopeless preoccupation with when when WHEN. That more than any other aspect is what allows me to so easily keep away from the topic.

When we have even a minimal, reliable notion of what 4E will actually BE, only then can anyone speculate meaningfully on whether they'll be adopting that new edition. Excepting perhaps if they are simply stating that they plan right now to be dead-broke for an indefinite period and will not afford it, or are avowed Luddites to whom the actual content of a new edition is quite irrelevant. JMHO.

Oh, and meanwhile I'm content to simply work with what currently exists - just as I worked continuously with 2E until perhaps May of 2000, a few months before 3E's confirmed release.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads