4th Edition Class/Race Optimization

randolph

First Post
Caveat: The sample weights represent only one of many possible "builds" per class, and are based on my (early) assumptions regarding the relative importance of the different class/race features for each build.

That said...

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Humans are a great choice for every PHB class.

Many of the "iconic" pairings are supported mechanically: Dwarf Fighter, Elf Ranger, Halfling Rogue, Dragonborn Warlord, Eladrin Wizard.

Paladin MAD prevents any PHB race from being exceptional at it without ignoring either Strength-based or Charisma-based attacks.

Oddly, Tieflings make better Fey Warlocks than Infernal Warlocks...

Edit: Major update v1.2b
Total overhaul of the evaluation formula because I screwed up the first time, so a bunch of assumptions I made before are almost certainly wrong.

Attachments

• matrix_instructions.jpg
    matrix_instructions.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 4E_classmatrix.zip
    288.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Drakhar

First Post
According to this table the half-elf is a better paladin then a Dragonborn because of 2 extra hit points and an extra healing surge. However, Dragonborn Cover both strength and charisma based attacks, as well as get to add their con mod to their healing surges, which to me, makes them far better Paladins.

randolph

First Post
Drakhar said:
According to this table the half-elf is a better paladin then a Dragonborn because of 2 extra hit points and an extra healing surge. However, Dragonborn Cover both strength and charisma based attacks, as well as get to add their con mod to their healing surges, which to me, makes them far better Paladins.
As noted, those weights are to give people an example of how to use the spreadsheet. If you think the extra hp is worthless, feel free to drop it to 0; if you're not building a Paladin ignoring Strength, feel free to weight Strength-based powers (Type II Powers) higher.

It's an evaluation tool, not a set of recommendations.

phil500

First Post
randolph said:
Paladin MAD prevents any PHB race from being exceptional at it without ignoring either Strength-based or Charisma-based attacks.

i think d-born are excellent at it. you can get 18(cha),16(str),14(wis),13,10,8.

Off the top of my head I dont think there is another race/class combo that gets to apply both +2's to its two main attacks, but i could be wrong. I think that does a lot to compensate for the MAD.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
randolph said:
Except for Dragonborn, who are good at both.

randolph said:
Oddly, Tieflings make better Fey Warlocks than Infernal Warlocks...
It makes more sense when you realize that they are Nightcrawler. :)

Cheers, -- N

phil500

First Post
Nifft said:
Cheers, -- N

You must be as bored as I am tonight. I almost signed up for gametap to play planescape torment, one of the few dnd pc games I never played.

I wonder what will become of this site once DDI is up.

Danger Mouse

Explorer
You should probably include racial feats in your break-down. For example, Hellfire Blood is absolutely great for tiefling warlocks (and makes an infernal pact more attractive) and wizards.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
phil500 said:
You must be as bored as I am tonight. I almost signed up for gametap to play planescape torment, one of the few dnd pc games I never played.
I'm procrastinating doing all the RE•GEN character sheets...

phil500 said:
I wonder what will become of this site once DDI is up.
This site will become the number one place to discuss, complain about, and log the myriad bugs in DDI.

Cheers, -- N

randolph

First Post
Nifft said:
Except for Dragonborn, who are good at both.
But that doesn't help with Wisdom... From what I can tell, you don't need both Str and Cha, but without Wisdom, you lose out on Lay on Hands and a bunch of useful secondary effects. :(
Nifft said:
It makes more sense when you realize that they are Nightcrawler. :)
But, but flavortext! ;)

randolph

First Post
Danger Mouse said:
You should probably include racial feats in your break-down. For example, Hellfire Blood is absolutely great for tiefling warlocks (and makes an infernal pact more attractive) and wizards.
I thought about it, but:
1) You can already weight races at the bottom, including access to racial feats
2) As splats come out, that's going to be a lot of feats... and the spreadsheet is already pretty unwieldy

Remove ads