• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th Edition Psion Rev2.1

Thaed

First Post
Roll a Percentage for psionics

Having dabled and abused Psionics as a player and GM since AD&D, I am glad to see someone or several people taking on the challenge.

Though I have greatly worn out the welcome for any psion in my own group, I will eagerly take a look at what you have put together.

I hold a glimmer of hope that I will again get to invade the minds of the weak.

BTW 3.5 psion can be hopelessly overpowered if put into the wrong hands. (mine)

Check out some of the PHB2 Druid powers. They are psychic in nature.

Rartemass

First Post
With the Pyro paragon path, the level 11 bonus goes away when you reach level 16. I would change the level 11 as follows:

Flaming Action (11th Level)
When you spend an action point to make an attack, if that attack hits the target gets ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Rartemass

First Post
I think the Mind Mage level 11 ability to get the Orb feat is a bit bland and underpowered.
As the Psi-Crown is listed as an implement for free, most players will simply use them. It is easy to have similar powers from an Orb and put it on the Psi-crown. The DM can modify the transfer magic item ritual (can't remember its name) so that Orb abilities can go onto a Psi-crown. Saves having to create new ones.

I would change the level 11 ability to something more focused on the flavor of the path. I would change the level 16 ability to the level 11. This is in keeping with other paragon paths.
I would then make the level 16 ability something like:

Mental Barrier (16th Level)
You automatically save against ongoing psychic damage, stunned, and dazed effects.

Rartemass

First Post
Just a few things about the Berbalang Fission level 17 manifestation. You seem to be mixing two concepts: one that the psion splits in two; the other than the psion sacrifices HP to create a duplicate. As the power is called Berbalang Fission I would assume it should occur similar to the monster and should be sacrifice to create.

1) Does the clone use the same equipment bonuses (I would assume yes)
2) Do both versions share a set of actions; or is one set as primary with a standard, move, and minor action and the clone gets a standard?

A Berbalang monster has each duplicate with a full set of actions itself. As this power appears borrowed from the monster, I would think the primary person has full actions and the secondary clone gets an extra standard. That being the case I would change it from a stance to a sustain move, sustain minor if you create a mindlink with the clone. This may seem strange to mindlink with a clone of yourself but they should be treated as seperate entities. Eg, if the psion takes ongoing damage the clone wouldn't take the damage too.

I'd also re-word the part about the power ending. It should say that all damage dealt to both parts remains when the power ends. I'd also add that you are dazed while your mind and body fuse together again (save ends).

Psychic Surgery level 10 manifestation should have a special entry that states it also ends psionic effects that are permanent, like Mind Warp in the Mind Mage paragon path. I would suggest having it turn the damage into a (save ends) effect.
Also about the Mind Warp, I assume you meant that the damage dealt cannot be healed unless psychic surgery or remove affliction ritual is done?

Rartemass

First Post
I almost forgot. The Berbalang Fission manifestation should also state that any daily or encounter powers used by the clone counts as a use for the psion. I would also state that the clone can't use daily or encounter powers from magic items, but can use at-will if the psion doesn't use the same at-will from the item. I would also state that the psion and clone must use different at-will attacks in the same round including basic attacks.

Thaed

First Post
Your ID is my plaything.

First off, great work. It is obvious you have put a great amount of thought into this. I will look forward to the final draft. I plan on making it my official 4E Psion class.

I'm old school so much of what I say is founded in that. Take what you want, leave the rest.

1) The AD&D psionics was founded with Int, Wis, Cha the three "Mind" abilities. I personally would rather swap Con out for Wis as a primary, simply for mind over body reasons.

2) Please modify your mindlink range to be more of a combat range. Check out the swordmage mark range or some of the others. This should be a burst area or something measured in squares not miles. The mindlink should not cover the entire battlefield.

3) The 5 classic attack powers are:

Using the original point cost for the power as a suggested level "neighborhood".

Psionic Blast - Should be a blast not a burst. (See name.) Should not be a paragon power but available to all psions. Suggest 20th level as it was the highest cost attack power. "wave of brain force, in effect much like "stunning news" to the mind. (G. Gygax)

Mind Thrust - 4th level. (Though I like the idea of it as a at-will power.) "a stabbing attack that seeks to short the synapses of the defender" (G. Gygax) Personally Range 20 feels to long.

Ego Whip - 7th level "attacks the ego, either by feelings of inferiority and wothlessness or by superiority and megalomania." (G. Gygax)

Id Insinuation - originally this was an area attack. Please modify it this way. "seeks to loose the uncontrolled subconscious mind of the defender, pitting it against the super-ego" (G. Gygax) 10th level

Psychic Crush - Did I miss this??? 14th level or higher. " massive assault upon all neurons in the brain, attempting to destroy all by a massive overload of signals." (G. Gygax) This should be the big dog on the block. Single target. Possibly save or be unconscious.

4) In general I prefer more mental effects for the saves. Dazed, dominated, stunned, unconscious

5) Defenses 5 primary:

Mind Blank - 1st level psion only
Thought Shield - 2nd psion only
Mental Barrier - 3rd psion only
Intellect Fortress - 8th zone
Tower of Iron Will - 10th zone

We interrupt this posting for a ringing phone.

More later, whether you want it or not. ;)

Thaed

First Post
Real quick thought. What about a class feature that allows the psion to maintian up to two sustainable psion powers with 1 minor action. You can then insert sustainable abilities on your powers. Maybe this increases to 3 11th and 3 21st.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads