• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th Edition Swashbuckling!

tec-goblin

First Post
It tooks us a few months to get it done, but we finally have a beta version out :):

4th Edition Swashbuckling! Pirates, cannons and adventures! Featuring new powers, alternative rules, over 40 new feats, two new paragon paths, many new monsters and NPCs and tons of new items.
Here you can find anything from the stats of a Frigate to a rogue power with the name "Let Me Show You How".
Designed as a lightweight addition to any DnD game that needs a bit more swashing and buckling, as well as a reinterpretation of the old 7thSea world to the new mechanics: use as much of this netbook as you want.

And as it is a fan project, your feedback will be very appreciated! Whoever needs to give a hand with proofreading the last chapters and playtesting is welcome! For all feedback, please go to: http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=66917

Attachments

• 4th Edition Swashbuckling.zip
    421.4 KB · Views: 541
  • 4th Edition Swashbuckling-pdf.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 464

Stalker0

Legend
Just did an initial skim, and I want to say I love the flavor that oozes from this book, especially the sword schools. When I have some time for a more thorough reading later but right now just wanted you to know I like what I see!

TheNinjaD

First Post
I haven't even given this a full once over but I assure you, I will. What I have seen so far is enough to say that I like the friendly, human way this is written. I wouldn't like it in a professional accessory but for a netbook I think it is just fine.

Khuxan

First Post
I too have only skimmed it, but your naval combat looks well-thought-out: I really like the use of symbols to show which weapon can be used in what direction. One question: do the vehicle statblocks follow the Adventurer's Vault model?

tec-goblin

First Post
First, thanks for your comments! The Swordsman school flavour comes out of the old 7thSea game, but I think we managed quite well to align the flavour to the rules (something that wasn't always the case in the past).

One question: do the vehicle statblocks follow the Adventurer's Vault model?

No. We had actually written the rules before the Adventurer's Vault came out. And even though for things like the Main Gauche and Panzerhand we actually made an effort to align the rules with Adventurer's Vault, for ships it wouldn't work, as the design philosophy was different: the ships in the vault are considered mostly equipment, and at best a terrain feature that moves, which works for most DnD games, but we wanted rules that could support some depth in battles between ships, so we approached them more like creatures rather than equipment - their stat block is based on the MM blocks. There are similarities (facing, the way the characters can participate in the combat etc) but they are few.
To sum up: if you are planning to do only one or two naval combats per campaign, the rules in adventurer's vault are for you. If high seas is a regular feature in your game, then I recommend using our ruleset.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads