• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th edition version of Ghost Touch

DangerAbe

First Post
Quick question: Does anyone know if there's a 4th edition version of "Ghost Touch" weapons like there were in 3.5? I know that insubstanial works differently but is there a magic weapon that does full damage to insubstanial creatures instead of half? If so can anyone point me to what book it is in? Thanks!

Nichwee

First Post
Weapons? No. (Or not that I noticed in the entire CB)
There is a "Ghost Touch"-ish Ki Focus called 'Ghost Strike Ki Focus' - tho it requires Combat Advantage on melee attacks to ge the GT to work. (This is PHB 3 P205)

Ghostlight candle has a daily power that creatures within 2 lose insubstantial

Ghoststrike oil can let you ignore insubstantial on the next attack you make against an undead creature, if you hit with the secondary attack from the oil. (Frankly, this is a pretty terrible item.)

Orb of ghostbane triumph lets you ignore insubstantial as long as you have at least 1 power point.

= = =

Ghost Touched (feat) + magic missile = ignore insubstantial.

Spectral Reaping (feat) + dark reaping (revenant power) = ignore insubstantial.

Penetrating Power (feat) lets you ignore all resistances, including insub, with your next attack. You have to be a controller to take the feat, though.

Untraceable Flurry (feat) + flurry of blows = ignore insubstantial. Requires the Elan Bloodline feat.

Inescacable Force (feat) + power with force keyword = full damage against insub +1d10 damage.

DangerAbe

First Post
Thanks everyone. This is pretty disappointing to me. Ghost touch seems like an obvious magical item ability. I'm trying to convert a 3rd edition adventure to 4E and I prefer to use items from the character builder when possible. I'll just I'll just have to house rule it.

cpendlet

First Post
Note that creatures with the insubstantial trait have half the hitpoints of a creature without it. So basically it does note really do much as far as making it take longer to kill them. Guessing this is why we don't have the 3e style ghost touch weapons (would make any creature with insubstantial far too easy to kill) in 4e.

If you really want to house rule it, perhaps adding 2xenchantmant bonus damage on a hit (this extra damage is NOT halved) or perhaps a simpler 5 exta damage per tier or something?

Yeah, I think 4e insubstantial is meant to be more of a challenge to deal with. Inescapable Force is the main trick. Overall it just makes someone with that feat good at fighting insubstantial creatures, while everyone else has to do basically their normal damage. Not everything needs an easy counter and 4e has pretty much avoided the need to have one of every type of item out there just for this that or the other special occasion.

DracoSuave

First Post
Many undead and shadow creatures that have things like insubstantial or regeneration (which is worse) have a quality that turns it off if hit with a type of damage, usually radiant.

That's another way to solve the problem.

Remove ads