• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 4th level Bard ability score increase: CHA, DEX, or CON? [5e]

Gecko85

Explorer
My 5e Bard just hit 4th level. I've decided to take the ability score bump instead of a feat. Now I need to decide which one to bump, narrowed down to CHA, DEX, or CON.

My current stats for each are:

CHA: 18
DEX: 16
CON: 14

CHA Bump:
Since Bard's use CHA as their spellcasting ability, this would increase my spell DC as well as spell attack bonus.

DEX Bump:
I'm primarily a ranged attacker, both with spells and with a long bow. (Only a 10 STR, so not much melee if I can avoid it...) DEX bump would increase my to-hit and damage on ranged attacks.

CON Bump:
This one ties in to spellcasting as well, but for a different reason: it would increase my CON save for concentration spells if I'm hit. Right now I have this one ranked 3rd. Because I'm primarily ranged, so far I've been able to duck behind things during my move after firing off a spell or shooting an arrow. I've only had to make a few CON saves for concentration. Then again, this is the lowest of the three, so might be good to get to at least a 16?

Thoughts? All three give a tangible benefit. Just can't decide which is the *best* benefit.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
As you stated, it's not an easy choice.

Since your primary stat, CHA, is already 18 at such a low character level and your proficiency bonus goes up at 5th level, you'll be +7 on CHA-related rolls soon, so your PC is well-situated for being at such a relatively low level. I'd leave CHA alone for now.

If this were a non-spellcasting PC, I'd reflexively select DEX, since it would bump up your AC and initiative along with the Attack/Damage bonuses for ranged attacks and all the DEX-related skills.

The importance of CON is limited to hit points and Concentration saves. Since your bard does cast spells, the Concentration saves matter more than they would for a strictly martial character.

Still, I'd say give the boost to DEX at this point, given the way you've built your PC. At 8th level, raise your CON, and top off your CHA by 16th level.

If you wait until 16th level to raise your CHA, you might consider taking the Durable feat at 12th level. It won't affect your Concentration saves, but your hit point increases from the die roll cannot be less than twice your CON modifier which. If I'm reading the RAW correctly, that "twice CON modifier" doesn't include adding the Con mod itself to the hit point increase, so you'd be gaining at least 9 hp per level.

Vymair

First Post
Depends on how much of your effectiveness comes from your spells. Bumping your CHA and save DC up 1 and the benefits of your healing by 1 is non-trivial to me. If you are an archer for most of your combat damage, I'd go DEX. I'd personally pass on CON.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Depends on how much of your effectiveness comes from your spells. Bumping your CHA and save DC up 1 and the benefits of your healing by 1 is non-trivial to me. If you are an archer for most of your combat damage, I'd go DEX. I'd personally pass on CON.

My reasoning for not bumping CHA up to its maximum at a relatively low character level really comes down to my personal preference to leave something to get excited about at higher levels. It's certainly not to everyone's taste.

Remove ads