• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th-level Pre-Gen PCs for the Worldwide D&D Game Day

delericho

Legend
Two things leap out at me:

1) They should have used character sheets that are similar in style to the ones Dave Noonan generated for the Dungeon Delve - get everything onto one sheet of paper, and group the most important information more prominently.

2) When designing characters for an introductory game, they need to design them to be iconic for their class. The class system of D&D is one of its strengths, especially for newbies, so they should play to that. That means putting a bit more care into the characters, and making them really good at one or two things. And, yes, they should be reasonably optimise for their classes.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
diaglo said:
and what about the choice of dwarf for cleric? i mean a penalty in cha hurts the only one in the party able to have an effective turn undead ability. ;)

No worse than a human cleric in a game I'm in who has a 10 CHA score.

S

shurai

The error that jumped out at me is that the fighter's AC assumes he's wielding his shield . . . which he never uses, since he's focused & specialized in a two-handed weapon. o_O

And yes, the ranger doesn't have enough skill points.

I'm not sure what they were thinking. I mean they're the company that makes this game.

Falchieyan

First Post
I ended up with the cleric, and he had the Good and Earth domains listed. Both Moradin domains, at the very least. I was a bit confused as to why he had such poor armor(for a level 4 character) and a variety of expensive alternate metal crossbow bolts.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Crossposted from a related thrad -

As those who got involved with the thread or others prior to the game day are aware, we made some corrections to the pre-gens ahead of time, in regard to outright mistakes but left things that could be chalked up to choice. The paladin's Charisma was certainly the most noticeable of those. Nevertheless, the games were a blast and everyone had a good time. I had players as young as twelve (had just gotten interested in D&D the previous week) and up into their forties (been playing since the early days of the game). There are surely some things that could be improved with the event in advance but the kits, including the adventure and miniatures, are a great resource. From my perspective the day was a success.

DungeonMaester

First Post
You kidding right? The gamestore, along with the D.M's thought the Pre gens where made by people who dont even know how to play D&D.

The first time I got the wizard, which was good, although the illusion spells where useles s in till the final battle, much to out surpize. We didnt even get the far thanks to the flame skulls that beat the highest ac by a excess of 10. We gor rip apart.

Up till that part we where doing well. I made a k. (history) check to figure out the Staute and had the party sunder it before it could tear us apart, which was the highlight of the game. Most of us where torn aprt by the fireball from said flameskulls.

Second time I played the paladin and, By God, it sucked. Before I go on I would like to note that none of the dms let us change the characters. So, im stuck as a meat shield for some reason with no way to heal myself or others with a massive +0 cha bonus, much made smite difficult to do. I managed to sunder the summon's spellbook which was fun, but entered that fight with 6 hp, since I fell in the well in the room before that with a 12 blance check to look to the botom of it. :\ (That is including the armor check)

Being childish, tghey thought I was trying to get the cleric to use up cure light wounds to quickly so every one would die, so no cure for me.

The Rp consist of talking ooc strategy, so I was rather dissapointed all around.

---Rusty

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads