• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th times the charm? Binding Stone

Mad Mac

First Post
Since I just picked up and read this book off the new arrivals shelf, last night, I'm sure very few people have read it yet. But what the hey, anybody else got it yet?

I wasn't expecting much from this book, after gloomily finishing Crimson Talisman through sheer willpower alone, but I really enjoyed The Binding Stone. It's easily as good as City of Towers, if not better. The Binding Stone, like City of Towers and Marked for Death is also part 1 of a trilogy, rather than a standalone like Crimson Talisman and the upcoming Orb of Xoriat.

For the record, I enjoyed City of Towers, snoozed through Crimson Talisman, and thought Marked for Death was an uneven, hit and miss experience. (But not enough so that I won't give the sequel a chance) Reading the Eberron novel line has been interesting to me, since I stopped reading FR/Dragonlance novels years ago, and it's interesting being able to stay on top of all the novels before I'm buried in them.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Grrr.

What's up with them putting out multiple trilogies at the same time, when none of them are slated to finish until the end of 2006?? :confused:

Of course, it could that I'm still bitter over the debacle that was "War of the Spider Queen." :mad:

Taelorn76

First Post
ShadowDenizen said:
Grrr.
Of course, it could that I'm still bitter over the debacle that was "War of the Spider Queen." :mad:

Good I thought I might have been the only dissapointed with the way the series ended up.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Taelorn76 said:
Good I thought I might have been the only dissapointed with the way the series ended up.
Sorry for the tangent to the thread... but what was the "debacle" at the end of the Spider Queen series? I started the first book and was not terribly impressed so I would wait until the whole series was put out until I would consider it again... but by then the blurbs on the jackets never inspired me to check in again.

Back on topic: I really enjoyed City of Towers, and if Blinding Stone keeps getting good accolades from folks I'll definitely grab it.

Sarigar

First Post
Just started reading it. I think anyone reading the Eberron novels will admit that the Crimson Talisman was a fluke. A bad, bad fluke. A terrible... you get the idea.
The other books have been good. They are still finding their voice, but the novels and their writers have been doing a wonderful job so far.

Captain Tagon

First Post
Sarigar said:
Just started reading it. I think anyone reading the Eberron novels will admit that the Crimson Talisman was a fluke. A bad, bad fluke. A terrible... you get the idea.
The other books have been good. They are still finding their voice, but the novels and their writers have been doing a wonderful job so far.

Strange, I managed to actually finish Crimson Talisman and thought it was decent gaming fiction. The second book, can't remember the name though, I tried to start like 6 times and could only get like twenty pages into the book before I had to put it down.

Mad Mac

First Post
Marked for Death has seen the most difference of opinion, I think. Just about everyone liked City of Towers, and didn't care for Crimson Talisman, (There are always exceptions, of course) but there's no real concensus on Matt Forbek's book, except maybe that it could have been better done in places.

Not many people have read Binding Stone yet, but I haven't seen any negative opinions from those who have. It's a pretty darn cool book. :cool:

Captain Tagon

First Post
Mad Mac said:
Not many people have read Binding Stone yet, but I haven't seen any negative opinions from those who have. It's a pretty darn cool book. :cool:

Good to know. I saw it the other day and couldn't decide if I was going to pick it up or not. Guess I will now.

Remove ads