• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5E] Collaborative Combat - ADVICE NEEDED

Trudy

First Post
I'm having a prevailing problem in a 5e game I'm playing in, and I'm hoping that some of you might have some suggestions on how best to resolve/mitigate this issue going forward.

Our Saturday game has a problem in combat. And I'm not sure what exactly the issue is -- several of us play in a 5e game together on Thursday nights, and don't have the same problems. Before I really get into the nitty-gritty of what's going on with this group, I think it's essential to share how I personally roll in combat, because I think it gives a good idea of why I'm so frustrated with the group now. Those Unspoken Rules are:

1. Is it in-character for my character to do this? *
2. Will it contribute meaningfully to the combat and/or allow someone else to meaningfully contribute to combat?
3. Will it still allow the opportunity for other players to have fun with their characters?

Obviously, there are times where I won't hit all three, but generally I aim to strike for two at a minimum. DnD ultimately, is a collaborative effort, and while I want to have fun playing my character, I want to also make sure that other people are also able to have fun playing their characters. If I can give them the opportunity to shine or do something awesome, I'm going to try and make that happen. (I blame years of MUSHing for this, honestly.) It's worked pretty well for me so far, and while I don't expect others to live by this (they're unspoken rules for a reason!), I tend to find that I enjoy playing DnD with people who subscribe (even unknowingly) to this line of thinking in combat.

But this... really isn't happening in Saturday game.

The last two combats have been grueling for me because I haven't been able to meaningfully contribute in combat. Because the Saturday game is being run by a newbie DM who's struggling to keep the pace in combat, even a few rounds of combat can take the entire session (and sessions generally last 3-5 hours). If I don't contribute meaningfully during one of those all-combat gaming sessions, I feel like I haven't done anything meaningful the entire game, which in turn, just makes me feel awful about the campaign in general. Here's an example from the game before last:

We're in combat. My melee character double-moves to a particular opponent who has already been reasonably injured by a spellcaster's spell. There are four or five opponents, all the same species/class, all comparably damaged. The fighter, who has two attacks in a turn, polishes off one opponent, and instead of moving to the another opponent who is the same distance away from him as the one I'm obviously planning to take down, moves over to my opponent, and finishes him off, too.

Because of the way the enemies and the other characters are laid out on the battle mat, there's now literally no way for me to get to another opponent to engage in melee without having to double-move again, and by then, with five other characters waiting to take their turn, the final enemies would be polished off before I would even have the opportunity to make a hit.

I brought up how frustrating it was for me at the end of that game session, but again, we had a similar (but different) situation again during yesterday's session, when the first few combatants (including myself) began hitting the biggest threat on the board. The spellcaster threw down an AoE on the Big Threat, I rushed in with melee, and the rest of the team decided to divert their attention to the lesser threat, which was about the same distance away, but in a different direction. By the next time we moved to the top of the initiative again, the spellcaster who attacked the bigger threat at combat start elected to join the others in attacking the little threat during her next turn and I was already considerable distance away from the rest of the party, and in absolutely no position to handle the bigger threat solo.

I'm not sure how exactly to handle this. My girlfriend (another one of the players) brought our inability to work together/work tactically in combat at the end of the game session, but given how they responded after I brought it up two sessions ago, I'm not sure they're going to internalize it.

So these are my questions:

1. Why do you think this might be happening, particularly when half the players work together fine in another group?
2. Have you encountered this problem before? How did you handle it?
3. Is there anything I can do as a player to make this less of a frustrating experience for myself?
4. Do you have any other advice about combat in general that you can share?

Thanks again for any advice you can offer!

--

* We're a very RP-heavy group, and I don't stop just because we're in combat. There have been times where my melee rogue/swashbuckler in another game, upon noticing that the paladin was on her last legs, would intentionally antagonize the enemy into attacking him -- in part because it's in-character for him, and in part because I'm setting him up for when he eventually gets Panache in another few levels. Yes, I'm that much of a nerd that I actually foreshadow / build up future character skills. Yes, I'm a nerd.

My guess is that the players on both nights are equally unfocused on tactics. However, from your post I infer that your Thursday game is run by an experienced DM, and I suspect that the experienced DM is compensating for the lack of tactics to ensure that everyone has a good time.

Satyrn

First Post
My advice is likely useless since it counters 2 of your unspoken rules.

Play your character as [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] describes playing his. What do I mean? Just roleplay it to the max.

(Iserith recently described playing an expert archer who is more likely to hit things with a frying pan than attack with his bow. I've tagged him so he can clarify)

Forgot the advice! But, Satyrn ninjaed me. The only other advice I can offer is to NOT try and change how the other players play. Some people just don't think tactically, and often they don't want to. If you find that your problem with lack of targets persists, pick up a few thrown weapons.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6902545]Trudy[/MENTION] It's pretty common for those of us posting to online D&D forums to be more serious gamers than many others in our gaming groups. I've learned to really appreciate those differences. For example, if I was in your shoes, I'd try enjoying the chaotic in-character fighting more. Take time to enjoy the antics of your friends, even if they're not smart tactical decisions. IME with group dynamics, when you step back your "serious" gaming impulses, you may find that creates a certain energetic space for other players to engage in more "serious" gaming on their own terms/timeline. And some may just remain more casual, and that's totally fine and can even be enjoyable. Some of my best laughs running D&D have come from more casual players cracking jokes or coming up with an idea totally from left-field that a more experienced gamers may never have considered.

The last two combats have been grueling for me because I haven't been able to meaningfully contribute in combat. Because the Saturday game is being run by a newbie DM who's struggling to keep the pace in combat, even a few rounds of combat can take the entire session (and sessions generally last 3-5 hours).

I think that DM could use some help. Unless you're playing a high-level D&D finale session, there's no reason a combat in 5E should take up 4 hours.

I'd bring that up with the DM and offer to help with some things I've seen help new DMs:
  • Initiative cards hung over top of DM screen, double-sided so DM follows initiative in one direction and players follow in other direction.
  • Print PC & monster AC on those initiative cards. It takes a while for groups to adjust to this (i.e. to stop asking "what's the goblin's AC?"), but can lessen the burden on a DM, particularly a new DM. You may find including other info-at-a-glance to be useful (e.g. damaging auras, spell save DCs, passive Perception).
  • If you don't use a DM screen, then at least make sure the new DM has a list of the PCs with their ACs (and other pertinent info).
  • Print out or photocopy monster stats so the DM doesn't flip through the book.
  • Set up a co-DM to help handle the parts of the game the new DM struggles with; for example: how should I run this ettin? what do these spells that the mage NPC knows do?
  • Identify what is causing the combat to grind for so long. For example, sometimes it seems like it's the DM but it's actually the players taking too long on their turns & the DM not being proactive enough to get players deciding swiftly. A good default rule for such groups is "If the DM decides you're taking too long, you take the Dodge action."
  • Assuming the lag time is indeed coming from the new DM & not players taking too long, what is that about? Is the DM trying to run more monsters than he/she can handle? Great place for a co-DM to step up. Is the DM struggling with moving a bunch of minis/tokens, counting out each square? Try running a theater-of-the-mind style game, not even taking out the map & minis for a change.

Satyrn

First Post
If you find that your problem with lack of targets persists, pick up a few thrown weapons.
Or even just throw around the scenery - stones, chairs, etc - flip tables, all that stuff. Anything.

althohgh what I was thinking of originally was: Even if the rest of your crew leaves you to face the Big Threat you are unequipped to face alone, do it. You might get lucky and be the awesome warrior. Or you might get unlucky - but then that lets the rest of the group swoop in and save you, which actually gets you your rule #3 - or is that the 2nd half of #2?

Trudy

First Post
My guess is that the players on both nights are equally unfocused on tactics. However, from your post I infer that your Thursday game is run by an experienced DM, and I suspect that the experienced DM is compensating for the lack of tactics to ensure that everyone has a good time.

Strangely enough, both are newbie DMs; our Saturday DM has been running since October, while our Thursday DM has been running since March. Our Thursday DM is definitely more prepared than Saturday DM though -- and that is part of why our combats move a lot faster. The campaigns are radically different too -- Thursday DM is running Hoarde, while Saturday DM is running STK. I don't know if the different campaigns might lend themselves better to more tactical combat.

I will concede that it's possible that tactics aren't as good as I think they are on Thursday, but we've had a few combats where people have done a damn good job of positioning themselves so other characters get advantage. There are two new players in Saturday game, so that might also be throwing a wrench into our ability to come up with coherent battle tactics.

My advice is likely useless since it counters 2 of your unspoken rules.

Play your character as @iserith describes playing his. What do I mean? Just roleplay it to the max.

(Iserith recently described playing an expert archer who is more likely to hit things with a frying pan than attack with his bow. I've tagged him so he can clarify)

Oh gods, the problem is that I'm playing a very chill middle-aged hippie woman who isn't nearly as bothered by the lack of tactics as I am; it's frustrating for me because I want her to come across as capable, but when she can't ever land a hit on anyone, that kind of makes it difficult for me to play my character the way I want to. D'oh.

Forgot the advice! But, Satyrn ninjaed me. The only other advice I can offer is to NOT try and change how the other players play. Some people just don't think tactically, and often they don't want to. If you find that your problem with lack of targets persists, pick up a few thrown weapons.

That makes sense -- and it's not as if I don't have the ability to do some ranged attacks (she's a paladin who always has Moonbeam prepared). The problem here is that I (and she) doesn't want to blow a spell like that when people are going down quickly/easily, especially when she's not drowning in spell slots and it might be better used elsewhere.

Never tried using thrown weapons, but I might have to do some research into that the next time I level!

Or even just throw around the scenery - stones, chairs, etc - flip tables, all that stuff. Anything.

althohgh what I was thinking of originally was: Even if the rest of your crew leaves you to face the Big Threat you are unequipped to face alone, do it. You might get lucky and be the awesome warrior. Or you might get unlucky - but then that lets the rest of the group swoop in and save you, which actually gets you your rule #3 - or is that the 2nd half of #2?

This is 100% what I should have done yesterday.

--

Thanks again for the advice so far, everyone!

Satyrn

First Post
Never tried using thrown weapons, but I might have to do some research into that the next time I level!
I don't understand why you'd need to wait till then. Just loot whatever handaxes, daggers, or spears you can from the cold dead hands of your enemies.

Nevvur

Explorer
Is it okay for players to discuss tactics and intentions during combat? If so, couldn't you just point out when another player's decision is less than optimal? Doesn't mean you can or should try to control their decisions, but they may agree with your observations, especially if the intent behind your own decisions isn't crystal clear.

If tactical conversations are not permitted, you could make a case to the DM/group about why they should be. Failing that, at the end of the day you're only really in control of your own actions anyway, so you might try adjusting your own tactics. Like Bradley said, a thrown weapon or two could eliminate the need to double move when your current melee target dies faster than anticipated.

You cited two cases, are there more? Does this happen every session? Every other session? How rare an occurrence must this be until it's no longer problematic for you? Is it affecting other players tactical effectiveness? Is it affecting their enjoyment of the game?

Could there be more at work here than you're aware? Do the other characters want to steal your character's thunder? Do the other players?

I'm not expecting answers to any of these questions, they're just food for thought as you figure your way through this situation.

Trudy

First Post
[MENTION=6902545]Trudy[/MENTION] It's pretty common for those of us posting to online D&D forums to be more serious gamers than many others in our gaming groups. I've learned to really appreciate those differences. For example, if I was in your shoes, I'd try enjoying the chaotic in-character fighting more. Take time to enjoy the antics of your friends, even if they're not smart tactical decisions. IME with group dynamics, when you step back your "serious" gaming impulses, you may find that creates a certain energetic space for other players to engage in more "serious" gaming on their own terms/timeline. And some may just remain more casual, and that's totally fine and can even be enjoyable. Some of my best laughs running D&D have come from more casual players cracking jokes or coming up with an idea totally from left-field that a more experienced gamers may never have considered.

I think that DM could use some help. Unless you're playing a high-level D&D finale session, there's no reason a combat in 5E should take up 4 hours.

I'd bring that up with the DM and offer to help with some things I've seen help new DMs:
  • Initiative cards hung over top of DM screen, double-sided so DM follows initiative in one direction and players follow in other direction.
  • Print PC & monster AC on those initiative cards. It takes a while for groups to adjust to this (i.e. to stop asking "what's the goblin's AC?"), but can lessen the burden on a DM, particularly a new DM. You may find including other info-at-a-glance to be useful (e.g. damaging auras, spell save DCs, passive Perception).
  • If you don't use a DM screen, then at least make sure the new DM has a list of the PCs with their ACs (and other pertinent info).
  • Print out or photocopy monster stats so the DM doesn't flip through the book.
  • Set up a co-DM to help handle the parts of the game the new DM struggles with; for example: how should I run this ettin? what do these spells that the mage NPC knows do?
  • Identify what is causing the combat to grind for so long. For example, sometimes it seems like it's the DM but it's actually the players taking too long on their turns & the DM not being proactive enough to get players deciding swiftly. A good default rule for such groups is "If the DM decides you're taking too long, you take the Dodge action."
  • Assuming the lag time is indeed coming from the new DM & not players taking too long, what is that about? Is the DM trying to run more monsters than he/she can handle? Great place for a co-DM to step up. Is the DM struggling with moving a bunch of minis/tokens, counting out each square? Try running a theater-of-the-mind style game, not even taking out the map & minis for a change.

Thanks so much for the advice! The DM is on the strugglebus at the moment, and I think she's aware of that; part of it is her not completely knowing the full range of abilities combat creatures have before combat begins. She's migrating to DMing biweekly (with another DM running a different game every other week), so I'm hopeful she'll improve in this regard once she has more time to prep. Having two new players definitely doesn't help, though by now, they should grasp the extent of their character's abilities by this point, too. (One does, but the other definitely doesn't!)

Taking down notes for when I run my own campaign next year, too. :)

With regards to my struggling with combat, it's not so much the lack of tactics I find frustrating as the lack of consideration. If it were in-character for the fighter in the first example to pommel the enemy closest to me (maybe because I was threatened, or because I was nearing death), I could easily swallow it; I love roleplay, and there's few things I love more than discovering other players are so into their characters that they actually allow their character to influence their tactics (or lack thereof) in combat, when most people are concerned with downing the enemy as quickly as possible. But it really wasn't, and it felt more like 'I want to get the most kills' and less like 'This is what my character would do'.

Remove ads