• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Conversion of White Plume Mountain & other AD&D classic adventures

I've converted White Plume Mountain to 5e. Since I did it for personal use only, I basically copied the entire module and then edited it to conform to 5e so I didn't need to have both the module + notes at my game table. I'm happy to edit it down to conversion notes only if folks are interested. .
Since WotC has the adventure as a free download (the 3.5 version), I don't think you're stepping on too many toes if you post the whole thing.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The toughest part will probably be the Tome of Horrors trap DCs.

My suggestion is to run them in original order of easiest to hardest (don't know what that is, but Tome of Horrors should probably be last), and just replace the monsters with the same ones from the MM. For monsters that are not in the MM (like the lobsters in WPM), just approximate AC, init, hit points, and attacks based on other creatures in the adventure (or find similar level ones in the MM and fluff). Also, you might want to give your PCs a few magic items ahead of time (course, that's a bit harder to do with no DMG).

Waiting for the DMG to come out would help a lot as well (for traps, magic items, conversions, etc.).

Mostly this. Also use the NPCs in the back, swapping spells, racial abilities, and so forth, as needed. Also note that their seems to be no hard and fast rule on NPCs and CR, or we at least have not figured it out.

Also, you can look at the current creatures in an encounter and compare to the guidelines in basic on encounter difficulty. You can then add or subtract a few opponents as needed. Keeping in mind that all the Ss should be pretty deadly.

Finally, in terms of DCs...when all else fails, 15.

JEB

Legend
This is fantastic. Does this link go to the current version?

Thanks! I didn't wind up updating it after all, though - on hold while we wait for a release date for the official conversion documents. (If it's going to be a while, then I'll press on.)

Remove ads