• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Feat Option = D&D On Easy Mode?

Does the use of Feats in 5E make the game easier?

• Yes, always!

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • No, never!

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Some feats, yes!

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Possibly, but it depends on table expectations/practices!

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Some lowkeyesque comment that doesn't pertain to the topic!

Votes: 3 2.9%

Well, a nitpick here is that Sharpshooter negates cover so that doesn't change anything.

More importantly, your post proves the point.

If the game needs to be changed/difficulty raised/targeting a specific PC all because they have taken 1 of 2 feats then those feats are too good.

Taking SS or GWM (SS is the worst offender here) increases a PC's damage by about 50%. At level 5 the Sharpshooter Fighter or Ranger will be doing 50% more damage than the Rogue. The +10 is as much damage as the Rogue's Sneak Attack. So the thing they're supposed to be good at, getting precise shots, is being done better by other characters.

It doesn't matter if the DM makes it an arms race with the players, that one PC is much stronger than the others in combat. It will depend on the group whether they are okay with that. It might also incentivize them to start taking those feats for the power over other character concepts which would be unfortunate.

I personally don't mind playing in groups of characters with different levels and/or large magic item disparity. Even I don't really like the idea of having that be a character choice though.

Youre right about the cover bonus, I'd overlooked that.

But it doesn't negate my point.

I never suggested changing the game because kf those feats. They are however often brought up so I thought I'd bring up examples.

Fighting near lava or a swamp? Obscured vision. Disadvanrsge to everyone on attacks.

Pitch black cave? Diaadvantage to everyone unless within range of a torch for which i would grant disadvanrage on the attack as per obscurement (note darkvision only treats pitch black as dim light, not bright)

If the foes are intelligent, they will often focus fire on the biggest threat, which may be a caster, a sharpshooter, gwm etc.

Those are just general tactics regardless on whether feats exist.

I have played 5e on an almost weekly basis and found now problem with feats in our games. Many times GWM isnt used. I had a ranger with sharpshooter and he could sure shoot well, but that was his shtick, and he still didn't use it when he needed to make sure he hit. And by that time the wizard is casting evards black tentacles and wall of fire and tying up half the encounter.

Spells (such as wall of force or banish) are a much bigger encounter killer than feats

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Don't mind my post, for those with ongoing specific dialogue that always happens this many pages into a topic, just here to give my response to the OP.

Many feats destroy the thin balance 5E observes - however, I couldn't play the game without them. Already, I feel the character options and customization of the edition is limited at best. I'd not do anything to take away that small sliver of individuality.

For my home games, I have done a rather exhaustive job of balancing them for the taste of my long-time permanent group of players. We also use the 'Talents' option from the DMs Guild. (I forget the author) but they're basically like miniature feats for further customization beyond race+background+class+gear=player.

Remove ads