D&D 5E 5e fey knight

pukunui

Legend
I think that I need to start with bard 5 / paladin 8 / fighter 1, otherwise I'll only have two ASI/feat slots.

It's been suggested to me that I look at going into eldritch knight and making use of shield to boost my AC. I would need War Caster to make that feasible, though, since my hands will be full. Speaking of which, I need to be careful about my bard spell selection, as I won't be able to hold an instrument along with a shield and longsword - I'll have to avoid spells with a material component as much as possible, which is a pity because Tasha's hideous laughter is so much fun and fits the character well.

EDIT: Given my PC's low Str and high Dex, I wonder if perhaps War Caster would be better than Shield Master anyway. It certainly synergizes well with Sentinel, insofar as it would allow me to cast spells with my OAs.

EDIT 2: Dang! Many of the more fun and/or useful bard spells require a material component. For some of them, like invisibility, it's probably not a big deal because I most likely wouldn't be using them in combat, but for others - like hold person, heat metal, Tasha's hideous laughter, and hypnotic pattern - it is a big deal, because I can't hold a musical instrument and a shield and weapon.

EDIT 3: To be honest, warlock is starting to seem rather attractive after all. However, instead of going the obvious route and picking the archfey patron, what if I chose the Great Old One patron and described as her hearing voices in her head? Could make for some interesting inner conflict.

I could take 4 or 5 levels, since that was what I was going to do with bard anyway. For cantrips, I could take some combination of chill touch, eldritch blast, friends, mage hand, and prestidigitation. For 1st level spells, how about dissonant whispers, Tasha's hideous laughter*, and arms of Hadar? 2nd level: invisibility and detect thoughts. 3rd level: fly. For invocations: Armor of Shadows, Beguiling Influence (more skills!), and either Agonizing Blast (if I took eldritch blast) or Devil's Sight. Not sure what pact boon I'd take. It's a pity you can't use a pact blade as an arcane focus (not that it matters, since you can't turn a sentient weapon into a pact blade anyway) ... Perhaps I could take pact of the chain and see if the DM will let me have a flumph as my familiar or something.

Mage armor (13) + shield (2) + 20 Dex (5) = AC 20. If I can get a cloak of protection, that becomes AC 21. Not too bad. No need to MC into fighter for an extra fighting style as Defense is useless (although Action Surge would still be nice). I'd miss out on getting to add half my proficiency bonus to Initiative (thanks to Jack of All Trades) and Expertise in two skills, plus Cutting Words and Bardic Inspiration. Hmm. Bard 5 / warlock 5 / paladin 10, with my bard spells mostly being cure wounds and that sort of thing? Maybe just bard 5 / warlock 4 / paladin 11. Could still be kinda overly complicated that way.

*I'd still have to figure out what to do about the material component, though.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
I think I may have figured out how to make either bard or warlock work without needing War Caster! In both cases, I mainly just need to stick with spells that are either more for out of combat utility or can be safely cast during the first round of combat (or just before).

[sblock=LORE BARD]Cantrips
minor illusion (S/M) - components aside, I'm not likely to be using this one in the middle of combat anyway
prestidigitation (V/S) - this one's not much use in combat either
vicious mockery (V) - since it's only got a verbal component, I can cast this just fine while I've got my sword and board in hand!

1st Level
charm person (V/S) - components aside, the spell discourages its use during combat anyway; I could ostensibly use it either to prevent (or delay) a combat or to end one
dissonant whispers (V) - like vicious mockery, this one just has words, so I can use it while I'm holding my sword and shield just fine
healing word (V) - ditto
Tasha's hideous laughter (V/S/M) - I love this spell and I think it fits the theme; because of its component requirements, I'm best using it first, then drawing my sword to attack the prone target with advantage; if I've already got my sword drawn, though, I'll just have to not use it

2nd Level
calm emotions (V/S) - while this could be useful for preventing (or delaying) a combat or ending it early, the somatic component prevents me from using it to rescue charmed or frightened allies in the midst of combat while I'm holding my sword and shield
detect thoughts (V/S/M) - I can't see myself using this in the middle of combat, so this one's component requirements are no biggie
invisibility (V/S/M) - I can safely use this leading into a combat, but I'd have to put away my sword or shield to use it in the middle of one

3rd Level
hypnotic pattern (S/M) - Like Tasha's, this one looks like it'd work best as an opening salvo, while my sword is still sheathed.[/sblock]
[sblock=GREAT OLD ONE WARLOCK]Cantrips (three of the following)
chill touch (V/S) - this one goes against the "defender of life and beauty" theme, but it kinda fits with the GOO "voices in my head" theme. Also, Age of Worms is riddled with undead, if you'll pardon the pun, so it could be fairly useful
eldritch blast (V/S) - could be useful as an alternative to a bow and arrows for when enemies are out of reach of my sword
minor illusion - as above
prestidigitation - as above

1st Level (three of the following)
arms of Hadar (V/S) - I love this spell, and love the surprise factor of inky tentacles bursting out from this do-gooder nature warrior. Unfortunately, that somatic component is a problem. I can't cast this in combat while I've got my sword and shield in hand. :(
charm person - as above
dissonant whispers - as above
Tasha's hideous laughter - as above

2nd Level
mirror image (V/S) - I'm only really likely to cast this prior to or on the first round of combat, so the somatic component shouldn't be an issue as long as my sword is sheathed
detect thoughts - as above

3rd Level
hypnotic pattern - as above[/sblock]

I think I will have to leave it there, as which class I choose to MC into will be dependent on whether or not the DM says I can have some fancy armor (+1 studded leather or mithril plate). If yes, I'll go bard and wear the armor (and also dip into fighter for Defense). If no, I'll go warlock to pick up Armor of Shadows and not bother with armor.

Thoughts?

Remove ads