D&D 5E [5e] Fighter/Warlock Arcane Archer Concept

the_move

First Post
A regular bow cannot be a pact weapon. It's questionable whether a magical bow can be.

However, as a DM I'd say screw the rules in this case.
A bow can not be used as an arcane focus either. So no Eldritch Arrows, not to mention adding any bonuses from a magic bow.

Winterfell

First Post
After reading everyone's posts, I realized that I was trying to be too many things at once. I wanted to be an arcane archer with front line capabilities. I really wouldn't be helpful in the form of a tank as my strength wouldn't allow me to wear plate and soak up a lot of hits so I am thinking I would be more useful going heavy on warlock. While I will probably rework the back story a bit, here is the basic character rework:

Name: Verrin Baase
Class: Fighter 3 / Warlock 7
Background: Sage (discredited scholar)
Race: Human Sex: Male Age: 47
Alignment: CN
Languages:
Common via Human
Elven via Human
Dwarven via Sage
Celestial via Sage

STR: 8
DEX: 16 (+1 via human)
CON: 14 (+1 via human)
INT: 12
WIS: 10
CHA: 16 (+2 vis ASI Warlock 4)

Saving Throws: CON / STR

Hit Point: 73 (8*3 + 7*7)

Feat:
Magic Initiate via human: (L1)

Proficiencies:
Arcana via Sage
History via Sage
Perception via Fighter
Insight via Fighter
Deception via Human

Fighting Style: Defensive
Second Wind
Action Surge
Archetype: Battle Master
Student of War: Calligrapher's Supplies
Maneuvers: Menacing Strike / Evasive Footwork / Rally

Pact of the Tomb
Other Worldly Patron: Great Old One
Pact Boons: Awakened Mind / Entropic Ward
Invocations: Book of Ancient Secrets / Devils Sight / Agonizing Blast / Sculptor of Flesh

Cantrips:
Cantrip:
Eldritch Blast via WL (L1)
Chill Touch via WL (L1)
Poison Spray via WL (L4)

Minor Illusion via MI feat
Mage Hand via MI feat

Guidance via PotT
Spare the Dying via PotT
Druid Craft via PotT

Comprehend Languages via Invocation
Find Familiar via Invocation

Spells:
Shield via MI feat
L1: Hex / Dissonant Whispers
L2: Darkness / Mirror Image
L3: Fly / Magic Circle
L4: Banishment / Dimension Door

Attacks:
1 via Hand Crossbow
or
2 via Eldritch Blast

Weapons:
Hand Crossbow
Focus is shape of a bow (no string)

Armor:
Scale Mail (switching to Breast Plate asap) AC 16 + Defensive + Buckler = 18 AC

At Lvl 11 I get basically a 3rd strike with Eldritch Blast (aka Arcane Arrow) and an ASI/Feat. I think overall this give the character more of a control feel while also retaining the core desire to launch magic arrows.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...r-Warlock-Arcane-Archer-Concept#ixzz413hqYiYb

n00b f00

First Post
Character looks chill. I might hold onto green flame and the rapier just for when an orc grabs you by the belt, and you'd rather drop him than disengage.

Also consider going eldritch knight at 3. That way you get some extra spells, slots, cantrips and such. Shield and absorb elements are great.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Stupid question, but couldn't your arcane bow just be Eldritch Blast (/Scorching Ray if you acquire it) refluffed?

Perhaps even swap Fighter levels for Sorcerer levels to acquire Quicken(ed?) Spell.

Total aside but you could lower your Int more to get more Cha. An 8 isn't 'dumb as rocks' (that'd be like a 4 or something), just 'has slight trouble with puzzles', and adds more to a character than 'this guy is average in everything except the parts he excells at.

Winterfell

First Post
Stupid question, but couldn't your arcane bow just be Eldritch Blast (/Scorching Ray if you acquire it) refluffed?

Perhaps even swap Fighter levels for Sorcerer levels to acquire Quicken(ed?) Spell.

Total aside but you could lower your Int more to get more Cha. An 8 isn't 'dumb as rocks' (that'd be like a 4 or something), just 'has slight trouble with puzzles', and adds more to a character than 'this guy is average in everything except the parts he excells at.

Yunru, you are correct in your idea's to optimize. They just don't fit my particular vision. With him having a sage background, I wanted him to have a modicum of intelligence. Hex + eldritch blast + quicken is a pretty mean combo.

I definitely will be using a focus in the shape of a bow to give me the effect I envision.

Thank you for your idea's.

Remove ads