• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [5e FR] Per Ed Greenwood, the drow deities Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are alive post-Sundering

Irennan

Explorer
For all those of you who are interested, In Ed Greenwood's upcoming novel, ''Spellstorm'', it is revealed that:

[sblock][...]Twas no easy thing, being the goddess of magic. A different deity than the rest, in a world so steeped in the Art, a divinity that had to care more for mortals, or embrace utter tyranny. And at the same time share the Weave - the Weave that was Mystra, as well as being so much more - with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee[...] [/sblock]

So, I've asked Ed Greenwood some questions about this:

[sblock]

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=13#468149 (Questions) http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=13#468290 (Answers)

1)Q: Does that thought (the passage about Mystra sharing the Weave with Eilistraee) refer to the ''present'' time? If so, it would mean that Eilistraee is alive and -if you can share- I have some questions about that.A: Yes, that refers to the present time.

(This implies that Eilistraee has to be back somehow, given that Mystra is sharing the Weave with her in the present time).

2)Q: Are Eilistraee and Vhaeraun separated again? A: Yes, separate again.

3)Q: Did she manage to survive to the events in LP like some speculated (in a fashion similar to how Mystra did, for example) and emerge again after the Sundering (or has the Sundering simply brought her back)?
A: Mortals know only of a reappearance, post-Sundering; details to be revealed, perhaps, in the fullness of time (this now 100% confirms that Eilistraee is alive in the present time).

4)Q: Also, in what condition is Eilistraee now, and what are she and her followers doing (and -since I'd like to edit the FR wiki page about her- is she now a demipower, or retained her status of lesser power)? A: Current condition? Unknown to mortals (including power level/ranking); sorry.

5)Q: Finally, where is Qilué's soul currently (since we know that the Cescent Blade couldn't destroy souls anymore, given that Cavatina survived it).
A: As for the soul you mention: also unknown. My bet would be on "a voice in the Weave" (there may or may not be more on this status, if not that particular soul, in future fiction, but it's too early to say for certain).
[/sblock]

and

[sblock]http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=13#468322

Hi again, all. Irennan, heeeere's Ed:

Communications being what they are in the Realms, with caravans bringing news and gossip and inevitable distortions as things get told and retold, most mortals can't be certain of much; they always have to trust (or not trust) retellings from afar.
However, the word spreading about the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun comes from excited reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting MANIFESTATIONS and AVATARS of the deities; i.e. yes, Vhaeraun and Eilistraee are both "back."
Now, as to whether they'll appear face to face with a given mortal in a given location in the Realms, that's a far different matter. The gods in general seem more "distant" post-Sundering, more "heard from" than "personally seen."

And there you have it.
The Word of Ed, so to speak.
icon_smile.gif

love,
THO
[/sblock]

Some more info from Ed, about the relationship between Eilistraee&Vhaeraun, and Eilistraee's clergy.

[sblock]
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=21#476469

yes, there can at the present time in the Realms be male clergy of Eilistraee (no changedance necessary). SOME of their followers are still foes (humans even of the same family and/or political bent and/or organization can disagree fervently, as we're all well aware, and this applies here, too), and Eilistraee and Vhaeraun remain very different in outlook and character...but they now UNDERSTAND each other very thoroughly, and make allowances for each other's differing aims, styles, and strivings far more than they hitherto did...[/sblock]

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Yeah, I think it's probably fair to say that any deities that died during the 4e era will have been brought back to life during the Sundering.

Agamon

Adventurer
I didn't know she had died. Though I did note her absence from the list of deities in the PH. The drow in our party follows her, but we play in the 3e timeline, 1372 DR, so no issues there. :)

Irennan

Explorer
If you are talking about the 5e PHB, the list there is incomplete (mainly racial deities are missing). If you are talking about previous editions, then yeah.

Irennan

Explorer
More news, from Ed:

Hi again, all. Irennan, heeeere's Ed:

Communications being what they are in the Realms, with caravans bringing news and gossip and inevitable distortions as things get told and retold, most mortals can't be certain of much; they always have to trust (or not trust) retellings from afar.
However, the word spreading about the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun comes from excited reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting MANIFESTATIONS and AVATARS of the deities; i.e. yes, Vhaeraun and Eilistraee are both "back."
Now, as to whether they'll appear face to face with a given mortal in a given location in the Realms, that's a far different matter. The gods in general seem more "distant" post-Sundering, more "heard from" than "personally seen."

And there you have it.
The Word of Ed, so to speak.
love,
THO

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=13#468322

Mirtek

Hero
Am I the only one confused by this?

[...]from excited reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting MANIFESTATIONS and AVATARS of the deities; i.e. yes, Vhaeraun and Eilistraee are both "back."[...]The gods in general seem more "distant" post-Sundering, more "heard from" than "personally seen."

So deities can have their cake and eat it too, appearing personally in the realms while being more distant and not personally seen

Irennan

Explorer
I think that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun manifested themselved during the Sundering, while Ao was reforging the Tablets (in fact it has been said that during that event deities went crazy, trying to gather as much power as possible to secure their status before Ao sealed it with the tablets. So it makes sense that two deities who have been inactive for a century would try to let their followers know and rejoyce of their return). After the Sundering, they are now forced to be distant

Last edited:

Remove ads