D&D 5E [5e] HELP!! Clerical confusion - clarification required....

NobleK

First Post
Hi all. I'm writing up spare 5e characters using point-buy, and I'm looking up the Lv 1 spells; my confusion is coming from the fact that I can't seem to find any information on what spells a Cleric automatically knows. I'm told I know all the spells, I just can't cast them, but I figure since I won't level up for a while, if at all, I'll just write down the Lv 0 cantrips, and Lv 1 spells. However, I'm going to mark the ones I always know, both in the book and on my character sheet; the only problem is, I don't understand which a Cleric will always know, and which must be prepared - any help would be appreciated.... :)

mellored

Legend
Pick a number of spells equal to your cleric level (1) + wisdom modifier (usually 2 or 3). They need to be ones you have slots for (so level 1 spells). You can switch or all of them out out each long rest.
In addition, you always have the 2 listed on your domain.

You also get 3 cantrips. These choices are permanent, though you get additional ones later. But you can cast them as much as you like.

Those are the spells you can cast. Then you use spell slots to cast them.

For instance, a life cleric with 16 Wisdom could have
Bless, and Cure Wounds from their domain
Command, Healing Word, Sanctuary, and Create Food and Water as their (1+3) choices.

And twice per day (two level 1 slots), you can cast any of them. Including the same spell twice.

As well as sacred flame, guidance, and light as your cantrips. Which you can cast as many times as you want.

Clerics have a larger variety of spells then other classes. Both in the total amount they know, effects they can perform, and the ability to switch them out. So make use of it.

NobleK

First Post
Pick a number of spells equal to your cleric level (1) + wisdom modifier (usually 2 or 3). They need to be ones you have slots for (so level 1 spells). You can switch or all of them out out each long rest.
In addition, you always have the 2 listed on your domain.

You also get 3 cantrips. These choices are permanent, though you get additional ones later. But you can cast them as much as you like.

Those are the spells you can cast. Then you use spell slots to cast them.

For instance, a life cleric with 16 Wisdom could have
Bless, and Cure Wounds from their domain
Command, Healing Word, Sanctuary, and Create Food and Water as their (1+3) choices.

And twice per day (two level 1 slots), you can cast any of them. Including the same spell twice.

As well as sacred flame, guidance, and light as your cantrips. Which you can cast as many times as you want.

Clerics have a larger variety of spells then other classes. Both in the total amount they know, effects they can perform, and the ability to switch them out. So make use of it.
Ah, O.K, so that'd be four spells, 3 cantrips; and I can change out my four spells each long rest, but can only learn more cantrips as I level up?

mellored

Legend
Ah, O.K, so that'd be four spells, 3 cantrips; and I can change out my four spells each long rest, but can only learn more cantrips as I level up?
Yes. But you also get domain spells.

So..
4 changeable spells, use spell slots to cast them. (Cleric level + Wis)
2 not-choosable domain spells, use spell slots to cast them. (you do get to choose your domain)
3 choosable-but-not-changeable cantrips, that you can cast every turn.

You get more of each as you level up.

At level 5 you would have
8 or 9 changeable spells (depending on if you increased your wisdom).
6 domain spells
4 cantrips

Also, any feature, like the light domain giving you the light cantrip, is extra.

NobleK

First Post
Correct.
Though you can get even more cantrips with a feat. But you probably have enough choices as is.
Hmmm, this is only a Cleric 1, so I'm quite satisfied. I've also used the "standard" human, as some DM's I come across HATE the variants getting a bonus Feat at Lv 1....

Remove ads