5e Homebrew Setting: Malebolge, Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

Chaosmancer

Legend
Unfortuantely, much like Lanliss it seems, I'm swamped with RL stuff and can't give this the attention it deserves. I read the Pure-blood dwarf stuff, which seemed pretty good (liked that Dwarves invented Opera) but haven't had time to look at anything else.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Which Region of the Known World - Cradlelands, Scarred Coast, Slagheap, Jaderealm, Bitterfalts - do you want to see get fleshed out and developed first?

Cradlelands, followed by Slagheap, and then Jaderealm.

I like your idea about each region being affected by the black dawn differently.

EDIT
Just my opinion, but I think Vegepygmies would fit in well with the other denizens of the Cradlelands.

The adventurers have been journeying through this wildmage-blasted landscape, and find an oasis of the safest drinking water they've seen in days.
They're so thirsty that they don't notice that the oasis is surrounded by strange mushrooms and fungal growths (instead of trees).
One of the adventurers bends down to collect some water, and a swarm of gnome-sized creatures with skin the color and texture of lichen jump out at him.

Last edited:

QuietBrowser

First Post
Alright, so, I've been doing some thinking about this on my own end - little distracted by Resident Evil 7 - and, courtesy of my rereading the Ravenloft Gazetteers, I think I have a plan for starting to "verbally" map out the Known World.

What I'm thinking of doing is using the "vessel" of an in-universe text book, tentatively called A Wanderer's Guidebook or An Overview of the Known World, written by a rodushi scribe working for the Cartographers: a "secret society" (in Gamma World terms) of adventuring scholars and mapmakers dedicated to charting out just what is actually left out there after the Black Dawn in order to support the Great Work (or whatever I called/will call it) - the Rodushi goal of restoring civilization upon the Malebolge. This should provide a basic framework and a justification for my tackling it in a fashion that provides some significant details, but doesn't go down to fleshing out every last village or hamlet.

Does this make sense to folks?

Some of the key Cradlelands locations that I've had rattling around in my bonebox now...

The Bay of Blood: A relatively sheltered section of the coastline of the Sea of Souls, held sacred by the Warped Riders, a horde of "mutant supremacist" caliban nomads who seek caliban dominance. The Bay is where they conduct their most holy rituals, particular the forcible mutation of captives into new calibans through immersion in its tainted waters.

The Drowned Necropolis: A vault that was partially flooded by a river outlet from the Sea of Souls, contaminating much of the environment. A subterranean, half-flooded city-state held by bands of both aquatic Beasts and Cannibals*, who are actually surprisingly friendly towards outsiders, though prone to intercine strife.

*Speaking of which, I could really use an alternate name for Cannibal Calibans. I mean, it rolls off the tongue pretty awkwardly, doesn't it?

The Warren of Light: Birthplace of the Rodushi, a fortified ruin that stands as a beacon of light against the darkness.

The Warpwind Mountains: A region of particularly savaged and mountainous badlands towards the north of the Cradlelands and relatively close to the Slagheap. Home to the last known surviving aeropolis (flying city), whose human inhabitants, xenophobic due to their surprising naivety about the world below, constantly raid & trade with the surface-dwelling caliban tribes below. Yes, this is basically stolen from DragonFlyz.

The Shieldlands: A protectorate/city-state founded by warforged who have taken control of the only confirmed intact forge-creche still in existence. Other villages, etc, offer tribute in exchange for the military protection and fair leadership of the warforged.

Horror Swamp: A dark, treacherous bog towards the southern end of the region, tainted by run-off from the Sea of Souls. Point Lookout meets the Great Murkendraw.

Tradegate: One of the largest intact cities in the Cradlelands, this western metropolis is the center hub for all trade & travel between the Cradlelands and the Scarred Coast.

The Wurmwood: A twisted and allegedly haunted forest, filled with small hamlets and villages eking out a living from the dangers surrounding them.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I like the idea of a ratfolk being the sort of "introductive storyteller". It tells you right out of the gate that things are different in Malebolge.

Warped Riders. That's an amazing title linked to a great question: who's the more warped, the Caliban, or monster it rides upon?

The drowned necropolis sounds like an awesome place to have some really cool combat encounters.

The Warren of Light. Really nice subversion with the lair of rodents being perhaps the safest place in the cradlelands.

New name . . . Harvester caliban perhaps?
It sounds okay at first, then the party of adventurers realize they don't grow crops. . .

Tallifer

Hero
When I saw the title Malebolge, all I thought of was the bizarre Doctor Who radio play "Minuet in Hell." The 8th Doctor defeats the cartoonish villains of the new state of Malebogia.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Alright, so, having recently acquired the 2nd and 3rd Ravenloft Gazetteers, which I consider some of the more interesting "setting building" sourcebooks from D&D, I think I have a set-up to begin finally starting to map out this world of mine. For your perusal, I submit the first draft of the prologue for this "in-universe" atlas, in hopes of refining what does and doesn't work about it.

Mapping The Malebolge - An Explorer's Guide to the Known World

Prologue
Salutations and well met, good reader. In your hands now rests a copy of an Explorer's Guide to the Known World, 1st edition. That means that either you have earned the right to visit the Vault of Knowledge in Candleforge, you have earned the trust of one of the Mapmakers, you are tribe-kin and so have been allowed to purchase a copy, or you took this text from the body of a dead Mapmaker.

If it was one of the former; congratulations on your good fortune. Though we dearly wish it could be otherwise, membership in the Great Work is a small and oft-exclusive thing, and so there are few who can be so trusted with the knowledge you now hold.

If it was that last option, then be ready for some very hard and pointed questions should a rodushi or a Mapmaker see this tome in your hands. And if you murdered for it, expect to get exactly what's coming to you, vile dark-spawn.

With those preliminaries out of the way, allow me to introduce myself. I am Scrivener Djir of Clan Z'orr'tek, descendant of Palatine Skivven, founder of the Mapmakers. Though I lack my illustrious ancestor's skill with a blade, my talents allow me to serve the cause he founded through this medium.

In a brief history, the Mapmakers are a society of noble souls who seek to literally bring light to the dark world around us, charting out the strange, untamed lands created by the Black Dawn and furthering our understanding of this world we have inherited.

You see, amongst the many casualties of the old world was a literal understanding of the world around us. Only scattered, oft-incoherent fragments of ancient maps and atlases remain to identify the lands of the world-that-was. And comparing those to the world-that-is? That's almost impossible. So thorough is the sundering of civilization that, for the average individual, a journey more than 50 to 100 miles from the place of their birth is barely conceivable.

Thus, the Mapmakers, who slowly but steadily chart out the expanse of the Malebolge, expanding and heightening our knowledge of the known lands we have inherited from the Black Dawn and allowing us to more accurately chart a course for the reconstitution of civilization.

The Explorer's Guide is a travel-suitable summarization of all collective lore as currently stands related to the Known World. It is not an exhaustive map, and so does not detail every single individual settlement, tribe, clan, or cave out there - alas, such detail would make this text far too large to be practical. Instead, this tome provides more of a generalistic overview, although where possible settlements of note have been included.

The Guide is divided into two categories; Regions and Territories, which roughly correspond to the ancient terms of "continent" and "nation".

The Region segment provides a basic naturalist overview of the land as a whole. It will open with an "At A Glance" table, consisting of the following summarized aspects:

Climate - The prevailing temperature and weather systems native to that Region.

Terrain - The predominant forms of physical landscape in the Region.

Races - Sapient species known to inhabit the Region.

Monsters - Hostile non-sapient creatures known to inhabit the Region, designated by category (Aberration, Undead, etc).

These will then be explored in more substantial detail, providing an explorer with a clearer grasp of just what it is that they can look forward to seeing or having to deal with whilst trekking through the area.

Following that, each Region will be divided into a number of Territories, representing distinctive political groupings or geographic segments of the Region as a whole. A Territory report is broken into the following segments:

Landscape - A naturalist's view, focusing on noteworthy features of terrain, flora and fauna.

Populace - A census taker's view, examining physical characteristics, fashions, demeanor, customs, cuisine, and other societal matters relevant to the native sapients. If applicable.

Realm - Only applicable in Territories that have sapient populations, this segment covers local government, law enforcement, prevailing societal opinion towards the aforementioned, and economic details such as local currency, natural resources, and notable industries.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Strictly speaking, Malebolge originates from Dante's Inferno as the name of the 8th Circle of Hell. It has also been used in, amongst other roleplaying games, Dungeons & Dragons as part of Baator, Pathfinder as part of Hell, and one of the Circles of Hell in Mongoose Publishing's "Infernum", a D20 indy game revolving around the idea of playing a soul-eating demon in a Dante's Inferno meets Doom meets Conan inspired hell.

Thusly, it was the most appropriate name I could come up with off the top of my head for a setting so ravaged and post-apocalyptic as this.

Moving on to another topic...

Which of these things would folks be most interested in seeing developed?
* More racial gazetteers?
* Concepts for monsters unique to this world?
* An outline of magitek - boomsticks, shredderblades, beamers, balewhips, etc?
* Textual mapping (aka the "territory gazetter" thing I teased at in my last post)?

How much attention do folks think I should pay to crunch-related ideas based on this setting? Like, I've got a bevvy of possible caster subclasses I want to expand upon and develop, but should I find niches for them in this setting as well?

Finally... I can't help but wonder about my list of races. I mean, the kind of settings that inspired this, there's a lot of races running around, even if only a few of them are actually "major players". Should I maybe go over the complete race list I see in my head and maybe consider trimming back the family tree, so to speak?

Remove ads