5e Homebrew Setting: Malebolge, Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

Chaosmancer

Legend
...I don't know, maybe I should start by listing up traits I'd like my gnolls to have and then work backwards from there?

Always seems like a good plan to me

Also, I could really use some help exorcising that idea of using the subraces to reflect genders, simply because of that potent cocktail of reasons for first considering it.

Excorcising implies you want to get rid of it, and in that case just get rid of it.

It is a vaguely interesting concept, but you have enough sexual oddities on Malebolge, using the Gnolls as a foil for philosophy and culture may be more interesting and then just pick one of the gender hierarchies to make it work.

On a somewhat different topic, should I share my basic concept/summary/outline of who and what the various races in Malebolge are?

Not sure what you mean, but I am vaguely curious as to the normal folk of Malebolge. What are the humans up to? The Dwarves and Elves are pretty much dead, but humans are still up and kicking it sounds like.... which... would that make them technically the winners of the war? They are the last people standing in a lot of ways.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Always seems like a good plan to me
Alright, let me see... trying to do this from a cold start, so things might get a little incoherent...

Matriarchal: Everyone who thinks of hyenas thinks of the spotted breed, where females rule the roost. Even if striped hyenas and aardwolves are actually egalitarian, it's a rare social dynamic for mammals. Add in that no edition of D&D has ever actually run with this - even in Pathfinder, where they worship Lamashtu, they're still dominated by male chieftains, even if the female priestesses are given roughly equal respect. I don't want this to devolve into paradoiac levels like D&D's infamous Drow, but females as the bigger, stronger, sex and their culture reflecting this is something I'd like to pursue - the magocratic aranea aren't right for it, due to, y'know, valuing magic over physical force.

Dark, Not Evil: As I said before, I really liked the 4e fluff about gnolls being torn between the Beast and the Demon; I don't want them to be Always Chaotic Evil, but I'd like to preserve that struggle if I can, or at least make them a little scary and not conventionally nice. I envision gnolls as accepting necromancy in a way that other races, at least in other settings, would traditionally balk at. They consider it an honor to be brought back as a Witherling to help defend the pack, and see it as natural to use skeleton and bone golem-based slave labor to do the manual labor. Eating the flesh of your enemies is practical, not out of savagery, and they're still animal enough that they prefer to hunt and live by night and sleep during the heat of the day - which, let's face it, in the Bitterflats is actually a rather sensible way to live if you can see in the dark.

Pack-Structured: The foundation of spotted hyena culture is the pack. It's competitive and it struggles for hierarchy, but it's still loyal to its members and stands firm against aggressors. It shouldn't be the sole "redeeming" aspect of gnoll culture, but the positives and negatives of pack as a cultural base are something I want to explore with them.

Feral, Not Stupid: Gnolls may have a stronger set of instincts and a culture based more on their bestial origins than some races, but that doesn't make them idiotic any more than it makes them evil. Just because gnolls can appreciate the fun to be had in a good mud wallow or enjoy hunting for the thrill of it doesn't mean they can't make art and music and otherwise be civilized, in their way.

Excorcising implies you want to get rid of it, and in that case just get rid of it.

It is a vaguely interesting concept, but you have enough sexual oddities on Malebolge, using the Gnolls as a foil for philosophy and culture may be more interesting and then just pick one of the gender hierarchies to make it work.
The reason I ask for help exorcising it is because I honestly can't make my mind up for it. As I stated when I proposed the theory, there's a lot of reasons why "the three subraces as three distinct genders" makes sense, between the matriarchal society of real-life spotted hyenas, the distinctively unusual anatomy of female spotted hyenas, the mythological association of spotted hyenas with hermaphroditism/genderbending due to that anatomy, the striped hyena's place in still-surviving folklore and traditional magic/medicine as a talisman for sexual and romantic purposes, and even the common percepion in many ancient cultures of the genderfluid/intersexed/transsexual as inherently divine or mystical (cf: Ishtar's transsexual sacred prostitutes, the Greek god Hermaphroditus, etc).

The only reason I'm hesitating is that we already have kobolds and their offshoots as hermaphroditic or otherwise genderfluid. But, then again, this is a world where one of the dominant races can randomly have tentacles, misplaced facial features, hunchbacks, be covered in whispering mouths that drool black gunk, have prehensile hair, physiques like a Tyrant out of Resident Evil, or otherwise be hideously mutated, so... I don't know if it's really that big a deal that one race has a "third gender" which is metaphysically different to the males & females, especially if it's a minority.

...I was talking about the Calibans, before anyone asks who the aforementioned super-freaky race is. :p

Not sure what you mean, but I am vaguely curious as to the normal folk of Malebolge. What are the humans up to? The Dwarves and Elves are pretty much dead, but humans are still up and kicking it sounds like.... which... would that make them technically the winners of the war? They are the last people standing in a lot of ways.
Well, the problem I have with talking about humans is that I'm not exactly 100% set on what they've got going on. Like in "traditional" DND, Malebolge humans are the "adaptable" race; they weathered the apocalypse and survived, but their culture fragmented. They come in all shapes and sizes, from pseudo-primitives who're devolving into calibans to hardy frontier types working to rebuild society to even surviving fragments of the old world desperately clinging to what they have - Fallout is a big influence on my vision of humanity in this setting.

QuietBrowser

First Post
On the gnoll topic... over in my homebrew races thread, I'm working on revamping the gnoll PC race I wrote, and as part of that, Boudas are not only getting more mystical, they're turning into hyena-shifters, able to assume a hyena shape. What if I use that in some way? Make boudas the original hyenas-evolved and the foundation of gnoll society, and the other strains are the result of breeding programs with each other and hyenas and perhaps even local calibans.

This doesn't necessarily contradict the whole "subraces are genders of the overall gnoll race" idea, but either way, maybe it can stand on its own as a unique basis for building the gnolls around.

I don't know, what do folks think?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I like the idea so far. Might be fun to play as a spiritually inclined fellow who quietly giggles constantly to himself.

Last edited:

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, I think I might be able to take this afternoon to work on a Gazetteer for the setting... would folks rather have the completed Aranea, Draega or Forgeborn Dwarves? Or would they rather have something new and attempted from scratch, like Humans, Calibans, Gnomoi, Pureblood Dwarves, Rodushi, etc?

Also, [MENTION=6801228]Chaosmancer[/MENTION], have you had a chance to read the revamped Kobold gazetteer on the GDoc yet? What do you think?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18nFM82UlkRnSsWOjZYyWRjc-ee8RBCnT0EWlL49N9N0/edit#

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
So, I think I might be able to take this afternoon to work on a Gazetteer for the setting... would folks rather have the completed Aranea, Draega or Forgeborn Dwarves? Or would they rather have something new and attempted from scratch, like Humans, Calibans, Gnomoi, Pureblood Dwarves, Rodushi, etc?

I'd really like to see the Forgeborn Dwarves. I'm fascinated by this idea, and the stuff you came up with about them in your introduction to the setting was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
On the gnoll topic... over in my homebrew races thread, I'm working on revamping the gnoll PC race I wrote, and as part of that, Boudas are not only getting more mystical, they're turning into hyena-shifters, able to assume a hyena shape. What if I use that in some way? Make boudas the original hyenas-evolved and the foundation of gnoll society, and the other strains are the result of breeding programs with each other and hyenas and perhaps even local calibans.

This doesn't necessarily contradict the whole "subraces are genders of the overall gnoll race" idea, but either way, maybe it can stand on its own as a unique basis for building the gnolls around.

I don't know, what do folks think?

Thematically kind of works, though I wonder why they have breeding programs.

Mechanically, it could be a can of worms depending on how you make it. Polymorph and wildshape are essentially Temp hp in 5e. Don't have my book for Hyena stats in hand, but if they have more than 10 hp you'd have to consider that as a balancing factor.

Also, @Chaosmancer, have you had a chance to read the revamped Kobold gazetteer on the GDoc yet? What do you think?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18nFM82UlkRnSsWOjZYyWRjc-ee8RBCnT0EWlL49N9N0/edit#

I haven't actually had time to read any of the google doc yet. Too many things going on.

QuietBrowser

First Post
I quite understand that last part. It's why I'm not churning out the content for this as fast as I'd like.

Speaking of which, do folks think I should continue focusing on races, or should I start adding more fluff-pieces - for example, example cities/locales, the Patrons of Warlocks & Theurgists, etc - or should I start working on some of the homebrewed Warlock and Sorcerer subclasses I keep mentioning in my gazetteers?

QuietBrowser

First Post
Alright, so, I've been working on a homebrew version of the Warforged to use for this here setting - I liked the Official Patchjob Warforged well enough, thought Keith Baker's personal 5e Update for them was leaning towards being better, but neither version really "sold me" on them. So, I tried to put together my own take on them. I could really use some help working the glitches out of these guys, especially because I kind of ran out of ideas for subrace abilities.

Scouts are the "thieves" of the race; small, stealthy, highly mobile intelligence gatherers. Soldiers (who maybe need a better name?) are the "Jacks of All Trades" - they're not the flashiest unit, but they've got good, solid traits aimed at making them highly versatile. Jaegars are inspired by 3e's Titans and Chargers; bigger, stronger warforged made to hit things really hard and be the muscle to back up the solid discipline of the Soldiers. Also, maybe I should consider some kind of "mage subrace" too?

Warforged, Core:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Living Construct: A Warforged is immune to disease, has Advantage on saving throws vs. Poison, is Resistant to Poison Damage, and does not need to eat or breathe, although it can still consume organic matter if needed.
Unsleeping Sentinel: A warforged needs only 4 hours of sleep per day instead of 8 to remain healthy. Additionally, whilst in its resting trance, a warforged remains fully aware of its surroundings.
Integrated Armor: As part of a short rest, a warforged can integrate a suit of armor into it body. This prevents the armor from being removed until it spends another short rest doing so. Integrating a suit of armor allows a warforged to benefit from its protection without any drawbacks, even if it does not have proficiency with that armor type.
Subrace: Choose between the Scout, Soldier and Jaeger subraces.

Warforged Scout
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Dexterity
Size: Small
Movement: 35 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Recording Engrams: A Scout can remember anything it has seen or heard with perfect clarity, unless magic is used to modify its memory.
Stealth Unit: A Scout has Proficiency with Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

Warforged Soldier
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Movement: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Built for War: A Soldier has proficiency with Medium Armor and two Martial weapons of your choice.
Hardened Systems: A Soldier is treated as being Acclimatized to extreme heat, extreme cold and high altitude, and does not suffer a penalty to Wisdom (Perception) checks as a result of environmental factors like strong wind or heavy precipitation.

Warforged Jaeger
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength
Size: Medium
Movement: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Powerful Build: Treat a Jaeger as being one size larger for determining carrying, pushing and pulling capacity.
Dense Plating: A Jaeger's unarmored AC is 12 + Constitution Modifier.
Megaton Drivers: A Jaegar that delivers a critical hit with a melee weapon doubles its Strength bonus to calculate damage inflicted. Additionally, it has Advantage on Strength checks made to break objects.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I'd recommend Warforged Trooper instead of Soldier. They look a little bit like the three types of powered armor from the book Starship Troopers, haven't read the books in years, but I think they were called Scout, Marauder, and Command.

I'd recommend replacing Integrated Armor with Dense Plating, but up it to 13+Constitution modifier.

Integrated Armor kind of makes Built for War seem unnecessary. Perhaps something for the sub-class like proficiency with martial weapons?

Scout looks good.

As for a magic-based Warforged, well, in a previous post you said that the dwarves approached magic from a different direction.
perhaps something like this for the hypothetical Mage sub-race?

WARFORGED RUNEMARKED
Ability Score Increase. Your Inteligence Score increases by 1, and your Strength Score increases by 1
Transfer Rune. Your body is covered in magical symbols. As an action, you touch either a wall, the floor, or one object in your possession and transfer a magical symbol from yourself upon it. At the end of your turn, each creature within 10 feet of the rune must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Intelligence modifier + your Proficiency bonus), taking 2d6 Force damage on a failure, or half as much on a success.
At 6th, 11th, and 16th level, the damage increases by 1d6, to a maximum of 5d6 at 16th level.
Once you use this trait, you cannot use it again until after you finish a short or long rest

Remember when I said a rock gnome might be cool to play in this setting? I take it back.
PACIFIC RIM FAN HERE, WARFORGED JAEGER ALL THE WAY!!!

Last edited:

Remove ads