• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e IN SPACE!!!!!

Antonlowe

First Post
It is the dawn of the 8th age. A dark time indeed for the galaxy.

18 years ago, the Dark Kingdom of Loth defeated the Galactic Confederation in the largest battle ever recorded. The Confederation was a unifying force in the galaxy. Promoting the ideas of freedom and basic rights for all, through trade, exploration, and the sharing of ideas.

That all ended when they were defeated by the kingdom. The Kingdom now marches on with nothing to stop them. Conquering and despoiling as they please. Leaving nothing but chaos and destruction in their wake. With the growing expansion of the kingdom, untold numbers of refugees flee the kingdom. They cry out for safety, and new places to call home.

The World Seed was a project conceived after the end of the Confederation. A massive colony ship able to transport millions of refugees to new homes in the outlands, far away from the reach of Loth and her minions.

The World Seed is 500 million tons of elvish biotech, powered by Quintessence, traveling from world to world. It’s a place for those without homes. A port of call for refugees. A home away from home for diplomats, criminals & hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. It’s a dangerous place, but it’s the last best hope for many.

This is the story of the Peace Keepers who maintain law and order aboard the World Seed. Adhearing to the old ideas of Law, Order and Justice in a galaxy that is rejecting them.

With that being said, I am going to start posting my house rules for making the system a little more compatible with science fiction game play.

Backgrounds: [post=[URL="http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?528113-5e-IN-SPACE!!!!!&p=7040694&viewfull=1#post7040694"]7040694[/URL]]backgrounds[/post]

New Skills: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?528113-5e-IN-SPACE!!!!!&p=7041701&viewfull=1#post7041701

Death and Dying: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?528113-5e-IN-SPACE!!!!!&p=7043459&viewfull=1#post7043459

Firearms: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?528113-5e-IN-SPACE!!!!!&p=7039719&viewfull=1#post7039719 PEACH

Explosives: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?528113-5e-IN-SPACE!!!!!&p=7045554&viewfull=1#post7045554

Alarms: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?528113-5e-IN-SPACE!!!!!&p=7039842&viewfull=1#post7039842

Last edited:

Antonlowe

First Post
Blaster Rules

So I thought I would start with a bang, and post my rules for firearms.

Firearms weapons are powerful weapons and are common in galactic civilization. Most professional soldiers, peace officers and criminals use these types of weapons.
All firearms follow the following rules:
· Proficiency: Using any firearm effectively requires the firearms proficiency. A character can become proficient with all non-exotic firearms by spending 30 days training with them.
· Less Elegant Weapons: While firearms might not be elegant, they are effective. firearms are particularly deadly against foes wearing archaic armor. If your target is within close range and wearing archaic armor, you gain advantage on your attack rolls while using a firearm.

Blasters
Blaster weapons fire concentrated bursts of highly energized particles. All blaster weapons deal lightning/Blugeoning damage by default.
  • · Proficiency: Blasters use the firearm proficiency
  • · Exploding Dice! When a blaster is fired at a target, and the attack is not at disadvantage there is a chance of exploding dice. Roll the damage dice normally. If a damage die comes up with the maximum result (i.e. a six on a d6, or an 8 on a d8), roll that dice again and add it to the total result. You keep doing this every time the die turns up with the maximum result.
  • · Power Drain: The energy cells used by blasters are notoriously inconsistent and unreliable. Whenever your attack roll is equal to or less then the listed number, you must replace the energy cell. This requires a fully charged energy cell and an action.

Charge Weapons

Charge weapons are ballistic weapons. They use an electrical pulse to ignite a chemical propellant, which launches a metal 'slug' at the target. Charge weapons deal piercing damage by default.

• · Proficiency: Charge weapons use the firearm proficiency.
  • ​Ballistic Injuries: Ballistic weapons cause some serious injuries. Any critical hit with a ballistic weapon causes the target to take one level of exhaustion.
  • Reloading: ​Reloading a charge weapon requires an action.

Last edited:

Antonlowe

First Post
Blaster Stats

Blaster Pistol
Cost: 100sp, Type: light, Weight 3lbs,
Dmg: 1d8, Range 20/60, Power Drain 5

Blaster Rifle
Cost: 150sp, Type: 2 handed, Weight 8lbs,
Dmg: 1d10, Range 80/300, Power Drain 4

Blaster Cannon*
Cost: 2,000sp, Type: mounted, Weight 55lbs,
Dmg: 4d6, Range 60/300, Power Drain 10

Charge Pistol, Light
Cost: 75sp, Type: light, Weight 3lbs,
Dmg: 1d8 Piercing, Range 20/60, Ammo 10

Charge Pistol, Heavy
Cost: 125sp, Type: 1 handed, Weight 4lbs,
Dmg: 1d10 Piercing, Range 20/60, Ammo 6

Charge Rifle
Cost: 150sp, Type: 2 handed, Weight 10lbs,
Dmg: 1d10, Range 80/300, Ammo 20

Charge Shotgun
Cost: 200sp, Type: 2 handed, Weight 10lbs,
Dmg: 2d6, Range 30, Ammo 8

Flax Blaster*
Cost: 175sp, Type: 2 handed, Weight 12lbs,
Dmg: 1d12, Range 15/30, Power Drain 8,

Special Descriptions
Flax Blaster: A flax blaster is a tactical combat blaster designed for close range. It fills the combustion chamber of a larger number of particles then a typical blaster. This makes the weapon deadly at close range but the increased mass of particles seriously limits the range of this weapon.
If you hit an adjacent opponent with a flax blaster, they must make a DC 10 Con save or be reduced to 0 hit points.
Blaster cannon: A blaster cannon is not meant to be used by an individual warrior. Instead it is meant to be mounted on a tripod or vehicle. Any attacks made with a blaster cannon when it is not mounted are at disadvantage. Blaster cannons are considered exotic weapons.
Shotgun: This weapon targets everyone within a 10’ square. At least a portion of this square must be within the listed range.

Last edited:

Antonlowe

First Post
Blasters vs Swords

Sense this setting mixes archaic weapons like swords and bows with high tech blasters, it’s important to think about how combat between opponents with different types of weapons is ‘supposed to work’.

• First, blasters vs swords combat is supposed to work. A character should be able to use either type of weaponry and contribute meaningfully to combat.
  • Second, blasters should have the edge. This is only logical, and supported by tropes that the system plays with. Blasters should be better, but not too much better.
  • Third, blasters and archaic weapons should support different tactics and playstyles. Archaic weapons make you want to charge into combat, without worrying too much about tactical aspects. Blasters can be deadly against a foe who does not take cover. They encourage you to think tactically.

Antonlowe

First Post
Alarms

Alarms are a special type of hazard. If an alarm is triggered, security is alerted to the presence of the PCs. This might mean that personnel are sent to stop them, that the proper authorities are notified or that the entire installation is set to self-destruct. It depends upon the installation.
Failing to disable any alarm by 5 or more points automatically triggers the alarm.

Panic Button
Some installations make use of panic buttons. These buttons are placed strategically throughout the installation. Any character can trigger a panic button they are adjacent to it (this requires an action).
Notice: DC 5
Disable: DC 10

Security Camera
Some installations make use of security cameras. These cameras are placed strategically throughout the installation. Each round on Initiative 10, the camera makes a notice check. If it spots a PC the alarm is sounded. The bonus to notice check from security cameras ranges from +0 to +8.
Notice: DC 10
Disable: DC 12

Laser Tripwire
Some installations make use of laser tripwires. If you pass through a square with a tripwire you trigger the alarm. If you have spotted a tripwire, you may move through the square at half speed to avoid setting off the alarm.
Notice: DC 14
Disable: DC 12

Laser Grid
Some installations cover entire rooms or corridors in laser tripwires. These are called laser grids. Once you have spotted a laser grid, you still must either get through it or disable it. Navigating through a laser grid requires a DC 15 acrobatics check for each square.
Notice: DC 14
Disable: DC 18

Antonlowe

First Post
Capn Charlie, I really love your work and am looking over it as I speak. The setting I am intending however is more along the lines of Sci-Fantasy, rather then Hard-Scifi.

Maybe you should outline the setting and the objectives first. It's very difficult to determine usefulness of anything if we don't know how it's going to work, what flavor it should deliver etc.

More info like post #5 gives us a feel for what the system should do and what the setting should feel like.

Satyrn

First Post
So I thought I would start with a bang, and post my rules for blasters.

Blaster weapons are powerful energy weapons and are common in galactic civilization. Most professional soldiers, peace officers and criminals use these types of weapons. Blaster weapons fire concentrated bursts of highly energized particles. All blaster weapons deal fire damage by default.

Proficiency: most blasters are considered firearms and a character can be proficient with them simply by gaining the firearms tool proficiency.
Becoming proficient with firearms requires finding a trainer, paying them 30gp and spending 30 days of downtime practicing.
The blaster cannon uses its own exotic proficiency. You must spend a feat to become proficient with it.

Less Elegant Weapons: While blasters might not be elegant, they are effective. Blasters are particularly deadly against foes wearing archaic armor. If your target is within close range and wearing archaic armor, you gain advantage on your attack roll.
Exploding Dice! When a blaster is fired at a target, and the attack is not at disadvantage there is a chance of exploding dice. Roll the damage dice normally. If a damage die comes up with the maximum result (i.e. a six on a d6, or an 8 on a d8), roll that dice again and add it to the total result. You keep doing this every time the die turns up with the maximum result.
Power Drain: The energy cells used by blasters are notoriously inconsistent and unreliable. Whenever your attack roll is equal to or less then the listed number, you must replace the energy cell. This requires a fully charged energy cell and an action.

Have you seen Dragonstar, which was 3e in space. I recommend it for inspiration. One of my favorite bits was how it differentiated blasters from laser guns. It had lasers dealing fire damage while the blasters dealt electricity damage.

Lightning damage just seems so much more appropriate for blasters to me, since most of the time (watching Star Wars) the blasters just scorch the surface they hit while lasers (Here, the video game FEAR leaps to mind first) readiky set their targets aflame.

Remove ads