5e Magus Class Conversion

That looks better, but I strongly disagree with the archetypes. I'll start with the Spellbreaker archetype: Awarding the entirety of a feat as a class feature is way too strong. Only some abilities warrant that level of strength and they're the archetype's entire build. The Dispelling Strike ability is way too powerful. Perhaps as a once/long rest ability, it's fine, but that's just way too much. I'd say give the following: "Starting at 7th level, you gain greater understanding of the manipulation of magic, learning to undo spells easier. As an action, you may expend a second level spell slot and make an Arcana check against the caster's Spell Save DC. Success allows you to dispel the magic affecting the target, as though with the Dispel Magic spell. After using this ability, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest." The level 11 ability is too strong for a level 11 ability. Make that the level 15 ability. And no spell reflection. That's way too strong. I'll look at the other archetypes after this one is fixed.

Gruzjmal

First Post
That looks better, but I strongly disagree with the archetypes. I'll start with the Spellbreaker archetype: Awarding the entirety of a feat as a class feature is way too strong. Only some abilities warrant that level of strength and they're the archetype's entire build.

I'm not sure I agree with that. A fighter gets multiple ability score improvements, which can be used to take any feat. Giving a class a particular feat that they don't get to choose, seems reasonable to me. Perhaps unnecessary, though. I'll consider replacing it with something else appropriate.

The Dispelling Strike ability is way too powerful. Perhaps as a once/long rest ability, it's fine, but that's just way too much. I'd say give the following: "Starting at 7th level, you gain greater understanding of the manipulation of magic, learning to undo spells easier. As an action, you may expend a second level spell slot and make an Arcana check against the caster's Spell Save DC. Success allows you to dispel the magic affecting the target, as though with the Dispel Magic spell. After using this ability, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest."

I agree that it's possible I made this a little bit too good. However, requiring the use of a spell slot AND only allowing the use of it once per long rest seems a little underwhelming ... why not just cast dispel magic? I think restricting it to once per day or requiring that it use a spell slot and possibly making it the 11th level ability would be fine.

The level 11 ability is too strong for a level 11 ability. Make that the level 15 ability. And no spell reflection. That's way too strong. I'll look at the other archetypes after this one is fixed.

Abjuration wizards get the level 11 ability at 14th level and paladins get a 7th level ability that gives them and allies within 10 feet resistance to magic. It doesn't seem unreasonable for an 11th level ability since it is so closely aligned with what the archetype is doing, but I think it's reasonable to want to make it a level 15 ability. I could also make it just give spell resistance (and no advantage on saves) and have it be the 7th level ability. Than it would be a weaker version of the paladin's aura.

I don't think spell reflection is way to powerful if I add a similar restriction as with Dispelling Strike (once per long rest or requires a spell slot). I also think this ability fits very nicely with the archetype. I will make some of these changes when I get a chance ... in the meantime, I'd be happy to hear what you think about the Swordmage archetype. Here is how Spell Reflection used to work:

"Starting at 15th level, when you or an ally within 5 feet of you become the target of a spell, you may use your reaction to expend one of your spell slots and reflect the spell back at the caster. If your spell slot is of equal or lower level than the spell, the spell is reflected back at the caster. If your spell slot is a lower level than the spell, make an intelligence check. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a success, the spell is reflected back at the caster. The reflected spell uses your spell attack bonus and the original caster’s spell save DC, if any. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. When you finish a long rest you regain all uses of this ability."

Dispelling strike also worked in a similar way (essentially a dispel magic that you can cast as a lower level spell).

The version I recommended allows the dispelling of a spell at the cost of a second level spell slot. That's a whole spell level lower than the Dispel Magic spell. That's why it's a higher level ability. And the spell reflection would be fine if it required at least the use of a 3rd level slot.

Gruzjmal

First Post
The version I recommended allows the dispelling of a spell at the cost of a second level spell slot. That's a whole spell level lower than the Dispel Magic spell. That's why it's a higher level ability. And the spell reflection would be fine if it required at least the use of a 3rd level slot.

For some reason I don't like requiring a specific level of spell slot to use the ability. How about this:

Dispelling Strike:
Starting at 7th level, when you hit with a melee weapon attack, you may use a bonus action and expend one of your spell slots to dispel magic from the target of your attack. Any spell on the target of equal or lower level than the spell slot you expended ends. For each spell on the target of a level higher than the spell slot you expended, make an intelligence check. The DC equals 10+ the spell’s level. On a successful check, the spell ends. Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Spell Reflection:
Starting at 15th level, when you or an ally within 5 feet of you become the target of a spell, you may use your reaction to expend one of your spell slots and reflect the spell back at the caster. If your spell slot is of equal or lower level than the spell, the spell is reflected back at the caster. If your spell slot is lower level than the spell, make an intelligence check. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a success, the spell is reflected back at the caster. The reflected spell uses your spell attack bonus and the original caster’s spell save DC, if any. Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Does this seem more balanced?

The problem with being so nondescript on the abilities is that certain magical abilities don't use spell slots and aren't cast by a spell caster. Dispel Magic dismisses or represses magical effects, not only spells. My idea of the dispelling ability is literally casting the Dispel Magic Spell as though it were 2nd level, rather than 3rd. And I still don't think the spell reflection should be incorporated. The abilities feel way more complicated than they should be. This is the problem with porting into 5e. You have to streamline the process and mechanics as well as explain them well enough to be understood. It's no easy task.

Gruzjmal

First Post
The problem with being so nondescript on the abilities is that certain magical abilities don't use spell slots and aren't cast by a spell caster. Dispel Magic dismisses or represses magical effects, not only spells. My idea of the dispelling ability is literally casting the Dispel Magic Spell as though it were 2nd level, rather than 3rd. And I still don't think the spell reflection should be incorporated. The abilities feel way more complicated than they should be. This is the problem with porting into 5e. You have to streamline the process and mechanics as well as explain them well enough to be understood. It's no easy task.

I used the exact same wording as Dispel Magic, except that the target is limited to a creature you hit ... what is nondescript about that? Seems pretty clear to me ...

Gruzjmal

First Post
Well, I like it the way I have it written. I think it is reasonable to be able to use whatever spell slot you want on it and restrict it to once per day. It's still more restrictive than just casting Dispel Magic, except that you can use it as a bonus action on a single melee attack. Making it an 11th level ability does seam reasonable though. How about this for the 3rd level and 7th level abilities:

Sense Arcana: Starting when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you can use your action to open your awareness to the forces of magic nearby. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any creature with spellcasting or innate spellcasting traits within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know whether the creature is a spell caster or a creature with innate spellcasting traits, but not its identity or type. You also know the presence of any magical zone of effect created by a spell within the same radius, such as a Zone of Truth, Magic Circle, or Teleportation Circle. You cannot detect creatures inside of an Antimagic Field, but you are aware of its presence. You can use this ability a number of times equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.
(This is from Ainulindalion's Arcane Warrior class. I think it fits nicely with this archetype.)

Spell Resistance: Starting at 7th level, you have advantage on saving throws against spells.

Last edited:

Spell resistance should be limited to tier 3 or higher at the minimum. Paladins get it sooner because they don't really have all that much else going for them. This class functions just fine without its archetypes. That's something you need to register. Does the class fair well as-is without its archetypes? If yes, then it's too strong. This class will be much better if you start moving class features into archetypes. That way, the Archetypes can be stronger without unbalancing the class.

Remove ads