Planescape 5e Planescape- What would you like to see in the upcoming setting?

I wonder if any Angels or Archons from the MtG books end up in Planescape, especially Firemane Angels that sound very Sune like to me, and Battleforce Angels, which MtG card Battle Angels of Tyr hinted at.

Given that Abyssal Fiends & Theros Demons meeting got a side bar in MOoT I'm wondering in Theros (& its planes Nyx & Underworld) get a side bar in Planescape.

I know its not super likely, but its possible.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I wonder if any Angels or Archons from the MtG books end up in Planescape, especially Firemane Angels that sound very Sune like to me, and Battleforce Angels, which MtG card Battle Angels of Tyr hinted at.

Given that Abyssal Fiends & Theros Demons meeting got a side bar in MOoT I'm wondering in Theros (& its planes Nyx & Underworld) get a side bar in Planescape.

I know its not super likely, but its possible.
From a marketing standpoint, it would be good for their brand to tie Planescape to their own bespoke multiverse. Newer players might find it exciting, and if they play MtG, find, say, Phyrexia much more familiar than Mechanus.

It's not really what I'd want to see (though I will grant, there's a few MtG planes I think are neat), but WotC doesn't care what I think, lol.

Quickleaf

Legend
Another thing I'd like to see is more concrete support, even formal play structures, around making the adventures about factions and belief. I know the old box had some advice, but it alway felt kinda obvious and simplistic to me. Perhaps a couple ready-made & structured campaign premises would suffice. Things like:

1) The same-faction party: PCs form a faction-initiated crew executing covert operations. The more successful they are, the higher they climb in the ranks, the better access to new and powerful stuff (belief abilities, faction-exclusive artifacts & gear, stronger support NPCs, etc), and more sensitive missions in the "kriegstanz" (the covert faction war) they get. Also, advice on how to intertwine these with other ongoing adventures & campaigns.

2) The mixed-faction party: PCs are from different factions, but work together as a crew for some city entity (the Planewalkers' Guild, the City Council, the Planar Consortium, Ravel the Hag, a local cranium rats' gestalt, etc) doing jobs/missions for it. Meanwhile, each PC is assigned an individual, secret mission from their faction to spy, hinder or harm specific targets during the operations (or even other PCs!), and are rewarded accordingly by their facition "handlers" for it, again, with access to better belief abilities, faction-exclusive artifacts, expert NPCs, etc. And again, how to mix these sorties with ongoing adventures or campaigns.

3) The no-party setup: the "every man for himself" campaign, where PCs are individual operators from different factions, each with their web of assets and allied NPCs, getting into temporary conflicts and alliances with each other as their agendas collide and converge. They can or cannot join up and become a formal party down the road (in which case see number 2 above).

The important thing is to BRING IT ON! Dont' gimme just a couple paragraphs of loose advice, give me a bazillion tables to inspire and be used on the spot, full of sample mission targets, rewards, objectives, opposition types, city entities, complications to spill on missions like political climates & planar weather & union strikes, etc. Even provide a couple starting steps for each campaign, with ready-made NPC sponsors and opposition and choices for the crew to take with suggested consequences imediate and down the road. All that to get the ball rolling as fast and easier as possible, and then pass the reins to the group. BRING IT ON.

P.S: oh, and if possible give me a Blades in the Dark-inspired city factions chart with their types, strenght and relationships in a concise manner.

6033ec94-0bd2-4efc-8387-e0820f10f7bd-953-00000169e3a75d99_file.jpg
I'm playing in a BitD game now, and I'll admit the sheer number of factions has been overwhelming for me to keep track of – it took about five sessions before I could differentiate the main actors clearly.

In principle, on the page, I love the idea of taking this "reputation by faction" approach and adapting it for Planescape. OTOH, I have a lot more sympathy now for players in my old Planescape game who struggled with all the factions.

You don't need to remember all factions though, @Quickleaf , just the handful or so ones the group is interacting with.

The beauty of that tool is how it organizes what's there in the city in a easy to understand manner - governmental, religious, criminal, etc entities, in a easy to use format. It's a snapshot of possibilities in your hand.

Last edited:

I hope they do something cooler with Demodands like Pathfinder did.

And I wouldn't mind a new Greco-Roman inspired Chaotic Good paragon race of Celestials, Erotes/Muses/Charities inspired perhaps.

dave2008

Legend
I've been thinking about ways they might expand settings,

Tied them to the evil Titans that got exiled to the Abyss for trying to be Gods, they convert folks to Titans worship.
OK, I did go read that bit after your post. I was hoping there was a bit more. That is essentially a version of the 4e primordials /archons relationship. I don't find either story terribly compeling and would rather they take a different approach.

IIRC, in 1e the demodands had no boss, and I prefer it that way: no demolords, archdevils, or oinodaemons to rule them. I don't need "titans" to fill that roll. I would rather they remain untamed.

IIRC, in 1e the demodands had no boss, and I prefer it that way: no demolords, archdevils, or oinodaemons to rule them. I don't need "titans" to fill that roll. I would rather they remain untamed.
Can't speak to 1e lore per se, but in Planescape the demodands/gehreleths had a creator/master in the form of Apomps the Triple-Aspected/Three-Sided, who was implied to have been a baernaloth (one of the ancient yugoloth forebears) exiled by its kin, and thus a major driver for the animosity the gehreleths held toward yugoloths.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
So you think they will import Theros, Amonkhet, and Kaldheim's Gods in to replace real world Gods in Planescape?

I'll point out that Tiamat and Asmodeus come from real world Gods (or fiends in Asmodeus' case). As do Silvanus, Tyr, and Lovitar in the case of the Forgotten Realms, with Silvanus & Tyr showing up on MtG cards just last year.

How would you go about ingrating MtG Gods onto Planescape?
Fun fact: Tyr in Forgotten Realms is Tyr from Norse religions. Literally supposed to be the same entity that the historical person Leif Erikson would have had part of his own beliefs.

Remove ads