• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Play by Post

GameDoc

Explorer
Has anyone tried it out yet, and if so what are your experiences?

The only time I tried 4e, it was difficult due to the inherent grid-based elements. I really didn't want to invest the resources into mapping and imaging tools needed to create the visuals with each round.

With the return to Theater of the Mind, I thought 5e might be better suited to PbP.

Daern

Explorer
Im running a game by email now. Its going really well. I've tried PbP via message boards and it hasn't worked for me. Posting is too sporadic to go to a particular page all the time.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
There's a couple of PbPs starting up or already started over in EN World's Talking the Talk forum. I'll be starting up one myself in September.

I am also playing in a 5E PbP on another forum and its going pretty smoothly. As long as the DM describes the scene thoroughly, there's not usually any visualization issues.

mips42

Adventurer
I'm currently running one and I find that, for a lot of things, TotM works really well in PbP. You and your players need to be diligent about descriptions as far as where you/they are, where they are going and what they're doing.
Can you run combat purely TotM? Yep. Does a map help? Yep.

As for programs you could use for mapping, GIMP is more than sufficient and free.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads