• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e rot grubs?

Sacrosanct

Legend
A while ago I used them in my superdungeon, Depths of Felk Mor. In 5e's vein of making some monsters more like traps (green slime), here's what I did. They only have a CR rating for XP purposes, but don't have any attributes and aren't treated like a traditional monster.

Rot Grub, 12ea (CR 1/8, XP: 10)
Attacks: bite (+1, burrow after successful attack.
1d6 damage at the start of PC’s turn unless
lesser or greater restoration is cast, DC 15 Medicine check is
made, or limb is amputated)

Since I am curious and really like your comments. I've bought your Depth of Felk Mor.

For the rot grub, as the old timer that I am. I love them.
I would've add this for the medicine check
A successful medicine check inflicts 1d6 dmg to the patient. After all, trying to burrow a knife or pliers in somebody does do damage.
An unsuccessful check will inflict 2d4 in addition to the damage the grub's doing.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Since I am curious and really like your comments. I've bought your Depth of Felk Mor.

For the rot grub, as the old timer that I am. I love them.
I would've add this for the medicine check
A successful medicine check inflicts 1d6 dmg to the patient. After all, trying to burrow a knife or pliers in somebody does do damage.
An unsuccessful check will inflict 2d4 in addition to the damage the grub's doing.

Thank you very much! I hope you find it enjoyable. That's really the only goal I had with it.

+1 bit seems to make them not very effective, I'd go with more of a save situation I think.
In my defense, the PCs would be only level 1 or 2 when they encountered them, and there were 12 grubs. So even a +1 was rough the last time we played it ;) And I initially wrote that encounter almost 3 years ago. In hindsight, with the 5e experience I have now, a DEX save would probably work better and be simpler.

Last edited:

I wonder why these were not put in the DMG or MM though. To me rot grubs are almost an iconic D&D monster/hazard.
Rot grubs are the best example of the "everything is trying to kill you, so don't touch anything without spending an hour to examine it first" mindset, which was popular in the early editions. Their absence in 5E is almost entirely because the designers are trying to take the emphasis away from that playstyle.

mcintma

First Post
One I homebrewed,

[h=2]Dungeon Hazards[/h] [h=4]Rot Grubs[/h] Rot grubs are nauseating parasites that feed on flesh and nest in corpses, or heaps of offal or dung. They resemble maggots about 1 inch long, and viciously burrow into any living flesh which they come into contact with. Once rot grubs have infested a living body, they burrow toward the host’s heart, brain, and other key internal organs, eventually causing death. Generally, a DC 15 Perception check is enough to notice signs of rot grub infestation. Otherwise, once a potential victim approaches, the grubs burst out (typically from a carcass, but rarely from ceilings or floors). Make a single attack roll at +8 to hit against each creature within 2 feet of the grubs (i.e. in the same square), with disadvantage if the target has resistance to piercing or slashing damage. On a hit 2d4 grubs burrow into the victim's flesh, which reduces its Constitution score by 1. Each round therafter that grubs infest this host, reduce its Constitution score by 1. The host dies if this reduces its Constitution to 0. Within 1 round of infestation, applying flame to the points of entry kills 1 grub for each hit point of fire damage, but this fire damage is inflicted on the victim as well. After the first round of infestation, cutting the grubs out one by one is possible, but the longer the grubs remain in a host, the more damage this method does. Cutting them out requires a slashing weapon and a DC 13 Medicine check, and inflicts 1d4 points of damage per full round that the host has been infested. If the Medicine check is successful, one grub is removed. Lesser Restoration or any effect that cures disease (such as a Paladin's Lay on Hands ability) kills all rot grubs in or on a host.

Last edited:

Remove ads