• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[5e] Shurikens

Garresh

First Post
Here's a little something thrown together for a Monk or something. Probably would be added to the class list for Monks, Rogues, and Bards.

Shuriken.
Martial Ranged Weapon
Weight: 1/4 pound
Cost: 2sp
Range: 20/60
Damage: 1
Damage Type: Slashing
Properties:Light, Finesse, Thrown, Glancing*

New Property: Glancing

You may not add bonus damage from strength or dexterity to it. Poisons or magical effects are still fully applied.

The projectile continues past the target, landing on the ground. If it lands on uneven, rough, or grassy terrain, it requires a DC 15 perception check to see it.

If you attempt a hide or stealth check immediately following a Glancing attack, it is made at advantage, as the enemy is uncertain from where the attack came from.

Edit: tweaked a bit.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
This should be a martial weapon, and should be Light as well as finesse. That way it can be used with TWF. Glancing seems rather complex. I like the flavor, but am wondering if there is a way to simplify it.

Garresh

First Post
This should be a martial weapon, and should be Light as well as finesse. That way it can be used with TWF. Glancing seems rather complex. I like the flavor, but am wondering if there is a way to simplify it.

Made some tweaks to simplify glancing. I think it's a bit better now.

Why is it finesse? It can't be used in melee.

If fact the Glancing property looks like it removes any ability modifier to damage, so finesse is doubly redundant.

Generally, I'd just count shuriken as Darts as the Jester suggested.

Garresh

First Post
Why is it finesse? It can't be used in melee.

If fact the Glancing property looks like it removes any ability modifier to damage, so finesse is doubly redundant.

Generally, I'd just count shuriken as Darts as the Jester suggested.

Because it has the thrown property, which would make it do strength for attack rolls and damage unless Finesse was specified. That combination means it gets your choice of strength or dex on attack roll, but no damage from either. It's actually remarkably similar to darts, yes and based off of it closely if you look at it.

The only differences between this and darts is Slashing damage and glancing blows. Otherwise it's basically identical. And the hit to damage done is certainly significant, but being able to apply poisons from stealth, or for example hit an enemy then follow up with an illusion from a wizard to put the enemy on disarray? That's not a thing darts can do. This is meant to be suboptimal but creatively rewarding.

Remove ads