• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
I just had a cozy night reading my new DMG B-) So I decided to roll up treasure for La Gloriosa. 14 rolls on treasure tables later, and a bit of massaging the results, and wow! La Gloriosa will be quite the score for you!

Quickleaf

Legend
So, I thought I'd clarify what rules options we are using (both from the DMG and my own house rules). Also note, [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] that I've figured out how to handle voodoo paraphernalia, which I describe below!

Options from the DMG

Firearms & Explosives are included cause it wouldn't be a pirate game without pistols! My rules supersede the ones in the DMG however.

Action Options like Climb Onto a Bigger Creature, Disarm, Mark, Overrun, Shove Aside, and Tumble are fair game.

Injuries are kind of worked into the whole "Roll the Bones" & Lives house rules as a type of Ill Fortune which you can opt to take when called for by the "Roll the Bones" table.

Morale will be used for NPCs and monsters when appropriate; in pirate stories getting enemies to capitulate can be more important than killing them outright.

House Rules

Fortunes are pirate-themed story traits which help define your character and their story thus far.

Lives replace raise dead and similar spells (which aren't available in the setting), and enhance the swashbuckling themes of narrow escapes and "fate catching up with you."

Roll the Bones works with Lives (and possibly Injuries). It also replaces spending Inspiration for advantage, enhancing the feel of fickle fortunes on the sea, and makes spending Inspiration a gamble with some potentially big pay-offs.

Quick n' Dirty Initiative for Play-by-Post helps keep the action flowing smoothly in a PbP game without needing to wait for all players to roll initiative before commencing with the action. It also incorporates elements of Side Initiative to allow flexible posting rather than having to wait for othe rolayers to post.

Homebrew Archetypes (Swashbuckler & Ship Mage): The Swashbuckler archetype may be taken by characters who are principally non-spellcasters such as barbarians, fighters, rangers, and rogues; it may also be suitable for some bards. The Ship Mage archetype may be taken by characters who are primarily spellcasters such as druids, sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards; it may also be suitable for some bards. Currently a work-in-progress.

Voodoo Paraphernalia can be crafted by a character proficient in Voodoo Tools. You may only have a number of voodoo paraphernalia active at once equal to your Spellcasting ability modifier (e.g. a cleric with 18 Wisdom could only have 4 voodoo paraphernalia active at a time). Voodoo paraphernalia includes the following magic items: 
  • Garde (20 gp for a 1st-level spell, 50 gp for a 2nd-level spell) A garde is a form of raised ritual scarification that works like a low-level spell scroll of a spell you know (or are taught by the Loa); carving a garde inflicts 2 damage on the subject for a 1st level spell or 5 damage for a 2nd level spells. Calling upon its power requires touching the scar and invoking the Loa whose name it was carved in as an action. No creature can wear more than two active gardes at a time. At midnight on a solstice or equinox, gardes are completely drained of all remaining charges and become inert.
  • Gris-Gris Bag (20 gp) A personalized wearable arcane focus, druidic focus, and holy symbol all-in-one, your gris-gris is only usable by you.
  • Drogue (50 gp) A drogue is a protective charm keyed to an individual granting them advantage to saves against a specific danger (e.g. cold weather/hypothermia, dehydration & starvation, drowning/suffocation, life- or soul-draining, marine poisons, siren charm, sunstroke, zombification). However, drogues have a limited "shelf life" of roughly 1 month after which their power fades away unless reinvested with power by a bokor, houngan, or mambo with proficiency in Voodoo Tools.
  • Voodoo Doll (10 gp + special) A voodoo doll is a sympathetic magic object with special crafting requirements that allows effects/spells to be used on the target at extreme range. Assembling a voodoo doll requires gathering 3 components with spiritual significance to the target (e.g. one traditional formula calls for "something from the dead, something from the thread, and something from the body") and affixing them to a specially prepared doll. Then a Loa or similar spirit is invoked to deliver an effect or spell thru the doll, with the results (and consequences) depending on several factors, particularly the relationships between you, the target, and the invoked Loa.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Earlier I tried to make "Seafarer" class and what I realized was that instead of a class I had cool ideas for 2 different archetypes: Swashbuckler & Ship Mage. Follow the link to check it out!

I think these archetypes might work for those of you who felt like there wasn't quite the right archetype for your character. Hugo, Old Zef, Barrington, and Caillou seem comfortable in their archetypes. Off the top of my head I was thinking of Katerina and Nia Steeleyes... [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] I was wondering if you might prefer the Swashbuckler instead of the Thief roguish archetype for Katerina? [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], I was wondering if Ship Mage might be a better fit for Nia than Circle of the Land?

Likewise, if anyone wants to pick up some of the Seafarer Tricks described in the link, you can take the Mariner feat.

Quickleaf

Legend
Heh. Didn't mean to have the lurkers in the trees suddenly "kill the mood" of Caillou's entrance. Ah well, maybe you can salvage some of the kenku's gravitas [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION]? If not, there will be other chances for more ceremony I am sure.

Oh, and [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] you might check the bestiary thread when you get a chance. I just posted Blackheart!

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] Hah! Well, I guess you're putting that saying "eat crow" to practice?

Oh, and we you enticed by Ship Mage or are you content with Circle of the Land for Nia?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Oh no.... I'm scared lol. I'll go check him now! Edit: Wow! well, I guess Kat may get to see her father again one day! Crazy good. I love it.

Remove ads