[5e] Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
(last May)
Hmm, maybe it is something that will be helpful inexorcising the djab (dark spirit) from The Coral Curse? That would make sense given Etienne's contact with Amerindian shamans. Some kind of hide with magical properties that can weaken the djab could work nicely.

This is what I referred to. The best reason to get the pelt is to had someone from the group ordered it. Here I am. I know Zef as a fellow merchant. Unless i'm wrong. I said my memory is bad...

Maybe I brought it to Zef because I know he likes weirdness; maybe he ordered it specifically. Left to Zef and/or Nia...

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] I think you are a little confused. Zef is a pirate and a sailor, not a merchant. That doesn't mean he couldn't have run across you at some point and ordered something.

However, we only just decided this day in the game to look at the cursed pirate ship. So no one would have preemptively ordered something to help with that. That said, Nia can sense there is something in the pelt that can help.

I am also confused at what you are trying to say. Are you saying that Zef ordered the pelt or something else you have for him?

Kat would definitely not go talking to strangers about the mission in this manner. I think the best thing to do is just let Kat and Nia finish their business with the boss then return to Zef with us and we'll work it out from there. I'm a little uncertain so far why we might need a chronicler but everyone has secrets so you may have other reasons in mind.

Quickleaf

Legend
Another thing we can do to help Etienne find a place on the crew is look at what ship duties he could fill that others haven't filled already. You can refer to the OP or the Spell & Crossbones Group for info on various ship duties.

So far we have..

Katerina - captain
Barrington - master gunner / quartermaster
Nia - sailing master
Old Zef - boatswain / carpenter/ artillerist
Caillou - lookout / navigator
Kid - crew (rigger)

I actually think that making Etienne quartermaster could work well, if [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] is ok with that? Handling crew disputes with rousing wrestling matches, and exercising his mercantile skills towards outfitting the ship, keeping inventory of supplies and treasure, and such.

Alternately, if he has healing ability (and you're willing to buy him proficiency in surgeon's tools) he could make a fun sort of Surgeon? Inspiring the crew, telling tales of various ventures to keep their mind off the pain, prescribing "magical remedies" that rely on simply herbs and a good bit of psychosomatics.

Alternately, he could be made First Mate? This would make him more of an apprentice to Old Zef and Nia Steeleyes, and might be appropriate if he has less watercraft knowledge than others, so it would be more of an "in training" position. This might double up nicely with him being a raconteur, since the First Mate is often sent to handle mundane matters ashore involving maintenance of the ship that require him to interact with lots of NPCs. Sure, a lot of people could be hired on as First Mate, so why not hire someone entertaining? And with some mercantile contact that could come in handy?

Anyhow, just my five pennies.

peterka99

First Post
Another thing we can do to help Etienne find a place on the crew

Quartermaster is fine. And I can heal with rest song and spells as a bard.

Etienne wants to get rid of the skin. He knows Zef as a conjurer and this is why he looked at him. Nia may be also the one.

He has to sell his wares otherwise he will not survive with only a few pennies...

Queenie

Queen of Everything
If you can heal, surgeon would be an excellent spot I think! I like QL's take on it too. I don't know if KS wants to be on our crew but if so I think he'd be the best quartermaster. Etienne could also pull double duty as the surgeon and someone we send to deal with merchants for supplies? Just my $.02 :)

I like Barrington for some form of definite role. He just did a bang-up job as de facto quartermaster getting those demiculverin and the Mary Sue. I also like Barrington for Lieutenant (and by that I mean second-in-command). That's if Kobold Stew wishes to formally join the crew, of course.

If we assume (keeping in mind Murphy's Law about the nature of assumptions) Barrington slots into the quartermaster/Lieutenant role, then First Mate and/or surgeon might work for Etienne.

peterka99

First Post
Etienne served as a first mate then provisional commissioned lieutenant in the French Navy but for the last 15 years is navigating on canoes, not ships. He has intimidate skill and healing powers. As a jack of all trades, he can fit any spot thus.

Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
I do not know how this can be a mystery. Yes, I want Barrington to be part of the team; it's very disappointing to me that this is not clear.

I think that we all want to be part of the crew, otherwise well will not play this game session :) Referring to wikipedia, the first mate watch to the crew and cargo (discipline) and the quartermaster is doing intendance.

Last edited:

Remove ads