D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Armor

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
@CleverNickName said they wouldn't do another thread and in the Companion thread people wondered if there could be another. This one should be short-lived, so get your votes in!

Here's a list of the armors from core 5th Edition D&D. There are only twelve types, which is a travesty if you ask me.

You all know the rules by now, but I'll post them here anyway just in case.

HOW TO PLAY
  • Only the armors that were published in print by Wizards of the Coast are included. Third-party publishers, or materials that were only released electronically, are not included.
  • Each entry starts with 20 points.
  • Every day, you vote for one armor that you like, which gains 1 point. And then you vote for a different armor, which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote, because math.
  • Mark your upvotes in green, and downvotes in red. Or just show them in bold text and use "+1" and "-2" to mark them, if colored text is too difficult on your browsing device.
  • It's easier if you just copy and paste the previous poster’s vote and change the numbers; the Quote function isn't the best for this.
  • You may vote only once per day. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day. Rule of thumb: if your most recent vote post says "yesterday" in the time stamp, you can vote again.
  • This is just another Internet popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to do so...those explanations are where the fun is! And the more outlandish, petty, or nitpicky your reasons for voting, the better!
  • When downvotes reach 0 the armor is removed from the list.
  • Finally, if an entry has one point left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you can't upvote and downvote the same entry (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.
THE MOST IMPORTANT BITS
Three important points that you must read before voting--
  • This is just a popularity contest, and it's supposed to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want; an armor that you used a lot, an armor you never used that sounds interesting, an armor that reminds you of your favorite fictional character, whatever. But this is for enjoyment only. If you experience anger, hostility, or other evidence of Not Having Fun, you're doing it wrong.
  • As far as I can tell, the base armor list in the core books has not been added to in official materials. I'm only including core materials here anyway, but I don't think there's been anything new.
  • As always, the list is the list. If you have a complaint about the list, please direct it to //dev/null.
So. Onward to the contest!

Ultimately, the whole point of this thread is to have fun. Some people really want this to be a "Best In Show" contest, and they get really worked up when (not 'if') their favorites get eliminated (I am sometimes one of those people). But hopefully we have all figured out how this works by now. For the newly-initiated, remember that this is not an election, nor is it a survey or a job evaluation. Frankly, this is a celebration of the hard work @CleverNickName put into these threads.

LIST OF ARMOR IN 5E D&D
(as of July 24, 2023)

Padded (this was supposed to be the gambeson you wear under your chainmail; 5 gp, 8 lb.)
Leather (the lightest light armor; 10 gp, 10 lb.)
Studded Leather (leather with rivets, more for looks than protection; 45 gp, 13 lb.)
Hide (slightly better than the light armors, the lightest medium armor; 10 gp, 12 lb.)
Chain Shirt (endorsed by Frodo Baggins; 50 gp; 20 lb.)
Scale Mail (popularized by the Byzantine cavalrymen, who nailed their coins to leather backing; 50 gp; 45 lb.)
Breastplate (looks pretty snazzy when shined up; 400 gp; 20 lb.)
Half Plate (either the front or the back half [or maybe the top or the bottom half], I don't know, I'm not an armorer; 750 gp, 40 lb.)
Ring Mail (the lightest heavy armor, the oxymoron of armors; 30 gp; 40 lb.)
Chain Mail (the full suit, just like the Knights of the Round Table used to wear; 75 gp, 55 lb.)
Splint (Scythian limb armor, somehow turned into a full-body suit; 200 gp, 60 lb.)
Plate (the king of armors -- if you have to ask, you can't afford it; 1,500 gp, 65 lb.)

Last edited:

chrisrtld

Adventurer
Leather 21
Studded Leather 20
Padded 16
Hide 20
Breastplate 20
Chain Shirt 21
Half Plate 20
Scale Mail 20
Ring Mail 20
Chain Mail 20
Splint 20
Plate 20

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Leather 21
Studded Leather 21
Padded 14

Hide 20
Breastplate 20
Chain Shirt 21
Half Plate 20
Scale Mail 20
Ring Mail 20
Chain Mail 20
Splint 20
Plate 20

Leather 21
Studded Leather 21
Padded 14-2=12
Hide 20
Breastplate 20+1=21
Chain Shirt 21
Half Plate 20
Scale Mail 20
Ring Mail 20
Chain Mail 20
Splint 20
Plate 20

Hey, @RealAlHazred is there a reason the armors aren't listed in the order found in the PHB? Not a big deal, just curious.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Padded 12
Leather 21
Studded Leather 21
Hide 20
Chain Shirt 21
Scale Mail 20
Breastplate 21
Half Plate 20
Ring Mail 20
Chain Mail 20
Splint 20
Plate 20

@DeviousQuail, there you go! I did the original order from my notes, didn't bother checking the PHB.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Padded 12
Leather 21
Studded Leather 21
Hide 20
Chain Shirt 21 + 1 = 22
Scale Mail 20
Breastplate 21
Half Plate 20 - 2 = 18 No One Loves You.
Ring Mail 20
Chain Mail 20
Splint 20
Plate 20

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Padded 12-2-10
Leather 21
Studded Leather 21
Hide 20
Chain Shirt 22
Scale Mail 20