• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part IX: Paladin)

Oathbreaker 14
Oath of the Ancients 22
Oath of Conquest 21
Oath of the Crown 21
Oath of Devotion 22
Oath of Glory 20
Oath of Heroism 20
Oath of Redemption 19
Oath of Treachery 5
Oath of Vengeance 17
Oath of the Watchers 20

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Oathbreaker 14-2=12
Oath of the Ancients 22+1=23

Oath of Conquest 21
Oath of the Crown 21
Oath of Devotion 22
Oath of Glory 18
Oath of Heroism 20
Oath of Redemption 19
Oath of Treachery 6
Oath of Vengeance 17
Oath of the Watchers 20

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Oathbreaker 12
Oath of the Ancients 23
Oath of Conquest 21
Oath of the Crown 21
Oath of Devotion 22
Oath of Glory 18
Oath of Heroism 20
Oath of Redemption 19
Oath of Treachery 6-2=4
Oath of Vengeance 17+1=18

Oath of the Watchers 20

Honestly this is a bit of a tough one as several of these Subclasses are fun to come up with concepts for. I love playing nature warden-like characters, so Ancients is a fun option. I have always enjoyed the idea of playing an evil (or at least anti-hero) Paladin that follows an evil deity or arch-devil that is fighting some greater evil threat and having to work with more virtuous characters to accomplish this goal, with Conquest, Crown and Vengence all being good options for that. And for a hero that dedicates themselves to protecting the Material plane from the machinations of planar forces, the Watchers oath is a great thematic option.

Undrave

Legend
Oathbreaker 12
Oath of the Ancients 23+1=24 Loved my Paladin of The Dagda!
Oath of Conquest 21
Oath of the Crown 21
Oath of Devotion 22
Oath of Glory 18
Oath of Heroism 20
Oath of Redemption 19
Oath of Treachery 4-2=2 MEH.
Oath of Vengeance 18
Oath of the Watchers 20

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Oathbreaker 12
Oath of the Ancients 24
Oath of Conquest 19 - this isn’t a Paladin.
Oath of the Crown 21
Oath of Devotion 22
Oath of Glory 18
Oath of Heroism 20
Oath of Redemption 19
Oath of Treachery 2
Oath of Vengeance 19 - it’s no avenger, but it is fun. Playing the wrath of god can be fun. My wife plays one like a Fury.
Oath of the Watchers 20

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
For the people who enjoy having Paladins worship a deity or directly swearing your oath to said deity, are there any deities you gravitate towards for your Paladins?

One of my favorite gods for my Paladins is actually Tiamat. In my tables D&D multiverse, she is still an evil goddess that tries to conquer everything but she will actually aid even the good gods having her followers fight threats from the Elemental Chaos, Abyss, and Far Realms and will stand against any who would see the mortal realm or the multiverse destroyed.

Last edited:

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Oathbreaker 12
Oath of the Ancients 24
Oath of Conquest 19
Oath of the Crown 21
Oath of Devotion 23
Oath of Glory 18
Oath of Heroism 20
Oath of Redemption 19
Oath of Treachery 2-2=0
Oath of Vengeance 19
Oath of the Watchers 20

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Oathbreaker 12 + 1 = 13 Although, it really doesn't scream "PC option" to me. But it's got the lowest score currently, so...
Oath of the Ancients 24
Oath of Conquest 19
Oath of the Crown 21
Oath of Devotion 23 - 2 = 21
Oath of Glory 18
Oath of Heroism 20
Oath of Redemption 19
Oath of Vengeance 19
Oath of the Watchers 20

Do I have a homebrew I like? You betcha! Two actually! Both from Walrock Homebrew! The Oath of the Common Man (inspire the common people to work to a common goal!) and the Oath of Free Commerce (your Randian Objectivist icon!) are both fun. I also like his Oath of Love paladin (for your Arthurian Romance Campaigns), but it needs a bit more work IMO.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The only paladin I've ever played was an Oath of Ancients paladin with the Outlander background. He and his whole clan practiced ancestor-worship, so the "gods" were actually his distant relatives. (He was a Shifter, and his clan believed they all descended from a "great wolf," so great-great-grandma was probably a werewolf.) So when it was time for him to swear his oath, he swore to uphold the honor of his clan and his people.

Remove ads