D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part VI: Fighters)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Or, at least, there are no rules defining the actual injuries sustained, and thus no representation of "wounds" within the rules. Particularly since, as I'm sure many will note, all these allegedly-lethal "wounds" completely disappear after a good night's sleep--and even absent that, a good power nap can fix them, especially if you're a Fighter (2x Second Wind + some HD = full health, even if you're starting from 1.)
Nothing defines the specific injuries, but RAW dictates that they are happening.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Just imagine the grievous physical darnage Vicious Mockery leaves behind.
Or dissonant whispers, mind spike, phantasmal force, Tasha's mind whip, phantasmal killer, Raulothim's psychic lance, synaptic static, mental prison, feeblemind, maddening darkness, psychic scream, or weird. Y'know, all those physical wounds caused by psychic damage.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
~gets hit by a giant's club critting, goes to zero~

~uses Second Wind to get back to fighting form and beats the giant's toned, elemental buttocks~
You are at 0 and are unconscious. How are you using Second Wind? You aren't.
~naps to become hale and whole~

~this is fine because no one talked to me, rekindling my fighting spirit, to make it happen~
It's not fine for a lot of us for the same reason talking someone back to health while they are unconscious and bleeding to death isn't fine.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Like we've never seen a character in media crying over someone who is straight dead as far as the audience is concerned and their pleas, demands or threats brings them back/wakes them up. It's an arbitrary limit that gleefully and willfully ignores the fact that we're playing a fantasy game of shared narrative rather than a simulation.

RW be damned, the answer is that it turns out they weren't dead and weren't that knocked out because HP is a construct to count down until you are out of the fight and literally nothing more.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Like we've never seen a character in media crying over someone who is straight dead as far as the audience is concerned and their pleas, demands or threats brings them back/wakes them up. It's an arbitrary limit that gleefully and willfully ignores the fact that we're playing a fantasy game of shared narrative rather than a simulation.

RW be damned, the answer is that it turns out they weren't dead and weren't that knocked out because HP is a construct to count down until you are out of the fight and literally nothing more.
If that's how you like to play, that's great(not being snarky here). We all like different things.

I prefer to play the game in a more realistic fashion where if you are cut down and dying, you can't be cheered back to health or heal with one night's rest, so in my game those things don't happen.

Vaalingrade

Legend
If that's how you like to play, that's great(not being snarky here). We all like different things.

I prefer to play the game in a more realistic fashion where if you are cut down and dying, you can't be cheered back to health or heal with one night's rest, so in my game those things don't happen.
So just to be clear, we're no longer pretending RAW is a thing that matters then, yes?

Remove ads