• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E: The Best and the Worst

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Dislike: No short modules. AKA, too many 1-15 story arc modules. AKA, give me a nice dungeon crawl or hex crawl that is about 30 pages in length.

Like: It scales REALLY well to a variety of playing styles and levels of complexity.

Shiroiken

Legend
1) Dislike: Armor & Weapons are poorly done. Armor suffers from the same problem as 3E - there is only 2-3 armors used once a certain level of wealth is gained. Weapons haven't been this poorly differentiated since OD&D.

2) Like (Love): The simple rules chassis is adaptable to pretty much any style of play.

thanson02

Explorer
Like:. Rule simplicity on the player end (advantage/disadvantage roles, flexibility in ability use, story flavor to help players visualize what their characters are doing, etc.)

Dislike: The lack of solid tools for the DM to make exciting encounters. This is one area that I feel that they should have imported more elements from 4E, especially Skill Challenges (what they evolved into, not where they started), monster customization, evolving magic items, etc.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ye gods, only one each? Okay, I'm going to reply before reading anyone else's so I don't get swept up in all the great ideas people have already posted.

Criticism: That inspiration wasn't made more integral. I *love* the concept but every single DM I've played with hasn't even treated it as "optional" but instead has ignored it completely.

Favorite: Dice modifiers and targets. To unpack, that your targets don't get too high (bounded accuracy for AC but the same idea for skills and such) and there is a easy to use and ubiquitously assigned modifier that doesn't change the result range (advantage/disadvantage).

Raith5

Adventurer
Like: I really liked how they have placed the complexity into classes and backgrounds, rather than the system. I think they really nailed the cleric, bard, warlock and paladin both in terms of complexity but also the style of the breadth of archetypes.

Dislike: Like others in this thread I am struck by dull monsters and martial characters. I think they dramatically overreacted to the vision that 4e was all about powerz and missed a wider opportunity to make martial classes and monsters do interesting things without casting spells.

Like: The "rulings, not rules" design ethos and the relative simplicity and DM empowerment that comes with it.

Dislike: Went too far in eliminating save-or-suck abilities (monsters, and especially undead, but even spells) and included too many special monster powers I don't need. I don't need a "pack tactics" special ability on the lowly kobold to run kobolds as cunning skirmishers and ambushers. As a result, monster stat blocs lack oomph where I want it (putting the fear of the dead in players) and offers bloat where I don't need it.

Someone make an AD&D 5 with 5e characters/rules and AD&D monsters/spells.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Ye gods, only one each? Okay, I'm going to reply before reading anyone else's so I don't get swept up in all the great ideas people have already posted.

Criticism: That inspiration wasn't made more integral. I *love* the concept but every single DM I've played with hasn't even treated it as "optional" but instead has ignored it completely.

Favorite: Dice modifiers and targets. To unpack, that your targets don't get too high (bounded accuracy for AC but the same idea for skills and such) and there is a easy to use and ubiquitously assigned modifier that doesn't change the result range (advantage/disadvantage).
inspiration is so easy to forget when your down the rabbit hole.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Hard choice as I dont have a major complaint ruleswise, only minor ones. But I would have to say no WARLORD, wheres my :):):):)ing WARLORD? As for what I like is that it all around is the best made edition. Not perfect, but pretty good in almost all areas.

OB1

Jedi Master
Best: Because of bounded accuracy, great class and race design, and a power curve that doesn't assume you put everything into combat, there is true choice when designing and leveling your character in 5e and those choices matter. Focusing on one pillar doesn't mean you stay with the curve, it means you get ahead of it and kick butt in that pillar, while staying average in other areas. And because of that, every choice is the "right" choice.

Worst: How hard it is to choose! I find myself constantly wanting all the options and agonize over what to pick. Should I make my fighter a DPR monster with ABIs in Str and Feats like GWM, or should I focus on shoring up his saving throws to help against high level save or suck spells. Or do I take something else to become better in the social or exploration pillar because that's what interests me.

Remove ads