D&D 5E 5E: Whips?

Corwin

Explorer
EK/Swashbuckler, duelist style, using booming blade with a lightning whip (reskin of flame tongue)! Now that's cool sounding...

rgoodbb

Adventurer
So..... Arcane Trickster, Spell Sniper Feat with variant Human or 4th level thus not increasing Dex to 18, Multiclass fighter, SCAG rules and Booming Blade = A lot of things going your way and actually needing 6th level instead of 5th level to make a whip cool......... Sorry. Just not feeling it....

Hobgoblin Slave Rogue however... Yeah...Getting there maybe.

Don't get me wrong, cool combo but lots of chaff in the way.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
AT is one option, sure. Not the only one, though.

You say that like you think you need an 18 dex in 5e...

You mean like you need to get lucky to have these things? I don't understand that part of your post.

Like I said, cool combo, I actually like it when someone finds something like this, but I just feel there's lots of chaff to get there to make the whip decent. Not everyone will have use of SCAG and you have to multiclass or get the WM feat along with the SS feat to make this work. It is of course very doable, and if that's your thing go for it, but it's a lot to make one (cool) trick work IMO.

Corwin

Explorer
Like I said, cool combo, I actually like it when someone finds something like this, but I just feel there's lots of chaff to get there to make the whip decent.
Well, to be fair, I didn't exactly come up with it. Just put a few extra touches on it. I'm not really sure what you mean by "chaff" though. You mean superfluous or un-useful parts? Because I really don't think 5e has those. Not in general, at least. Sure, a particular playstyle, or DM predilections, can create those kinds of issues. But I think baseline 5e is pretty good at making everything you have useful to at least some degree.

Also, I wasn't attempting to make "whips decent". I was noticing something neat and expounding on it. The whip is just one knickknack that completes the collection on the shelf. Not the focal point. For me to try and make "whips decent", I would need to do something other than offer a specific character build. That doesn't make whips decent. It makes a whip cool in that particular guy's hand. For the record, I have no problem with the whip as-is. It's fine.

Not everyone will have use of SCAG and you have to multiclass or get the WM feat along with the SS feat to make this work.
Obviously. But that's no different than saying, your dragonborn sorcerer looks fun to play, but the DM doesn't allow sorcerers. Or dragonborn. Or both.

It is of course very doable, and if that's your thing go for it, but it's a lot to make one (cool) trick work IMO.
Being part EK has quite a few other benefits. The other half being swashbuckler has lots of other benefits. Having the SS feat opens up lots of cool options and benefits, too (its not just for booming blade). Boiling down such a character concept to "one (cool) trick" seems extremely short sighted to me. <shrug> It's like describing a paladin, with GWF and a flame tongue greatsword, as having one (cool) trick. I just don't buy that kind of pigeonholing. They both have the same level of feat investment and a comparable magic weapon.

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
By the way how do you chop those quotes up? My skills in this area have disadvantage.

Just add extra
tags around the part you want to zero in on. Don't forget the slash for the ending tag.

For example (replace curly brackets with square brackets):

{QUOTE=rgoodbb}By the way how do you chop those quotes up?{/QUOTE} blah blah blah {QUOTE} My skills in this area have disadvantage.{/QUOTE}

Remove ads